BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Ontario

Subject: University of Toronto gaming club rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shulin Zhang
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey,

I just saw this post too. I am a U of T student in SG campus. If anyone create the BGG club, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veronica,

There's an unofficial group of gamers who meet every Saturday at Hart House. I can direct you to them if you like. Personally, early Saturdays do not work for me as I'm only on campus Monday-Friday. So, if we can get a number of people interested in a meetup on a weekday or weeknight I'd be game.

Creating an actual UofT club is not easy, unfortunately. I looked into it.. I work for UofT but I'm not officially a student, so I can't be involved with the creation of an actual club. If you would be interested, though, I'd be willing to help out with it. I think the first step would be finding a group of 5-10 of us who meet regularly.

Edit: forgot to mention, there is also a lot of gaming happening outside UofT but closeby on various nights (401 Games, Meeplemart, Dueling Grounds, Snakes and Lattes, Hairy Tarantula, and some Meetup groups). If you're interested in any of those, I can also direct you.. just geekmail me for read some of the previous posts in this thread.[/url].

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Worf Mogh
msg tools
Hey I'm just curious has anyone gone out and started a board game club for U of T?

If not is anyone still interested in doing so? I wouldn't mind starting one up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Not an official club that I know of. But there is still the group who meet at Hart House each each week (they're not an UofT club but they have at least 10 members). I am not officially a UofT student (or staff), but I work from a U of T office so I'm there regularly. I'd be willing to help you out, but I can't do it in any official capacity since I'm only a visitor. In other words: I could come to play, bring games, and help spread the word. To start an official club I think you need to be a student or staff member.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
is there any benefit in making an actual club?

I just play at 401 games on wednesdays... its not too far from uoft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:

I can't speak for UofT clubs in particular, but most University groups get some benefits. Those benefits are usually (and understandably) meant for students and general improvement of student life. They might get some small amount of money per year to spend on group activities (e.g. a board game library) and the group may be allowed to use UofT resources (like a dedicated office or storage room). You also get listed in the clubs on their UofT student services site, so it's one way to get other students (and faculty & staff) to find out about the group. Like any other University club: the intent is to help students meet other students who share a similar interests.

Not being tied to a game store also means that member wouldn't have to feel guilty about using up the place's space without ever buying anything. Having a dedicated place on campus could also mean that students could stop by any time (e.g. between classes) and see if someone else is there for pick-up games. The list goes on.. but mainly, point is not to have yet another gaming group in Toronto, it would be a group specifically intended for UofT students (+ faculty and staff.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Worf Mogh
msg tools
Any idea of the people that show up for the Saturday sessions how many are students?

Do you guys think there will be enough interest from other students to justify the hassle of starting a club?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
from what I understand, some CS grad students play in the lounge every friday

and there is a monthly werewolf night organized by the CSGSBS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
worf1729 wrote:
Any idea of the people that show up for the Saturday sessions how many are students?

So... it's no longer on Saturdays and no longer in Hart House. Last year, they met only on Saturdays, then they alternated between Saturdays and Fridays.. and now it appears to be only Fridays. I'm on their list but I attend once per year, about

Based only on number of emails I'd say they get 5-10 out weekly, but this is really a guess. As far as I know they're all students, mostly (if not entirely) grad CS students.

worf1729 wrote:
Do you guys think there will be enough interest from other students to justify the hassle of starting a club?

I personally believe it's a shame for a University not to have a gaming club. With all the board gaming available in Toronto it might not become popular.. but it's hard to say. I think if it started properly, i.e. with a small group of 5-10 dedicated people meeting regularly (2-3 of them doing the work needed to keep the club running) then it'd probably catch on. But the problem is that it would take time to attract more students.. so the benefits are mostly long-term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also seen posters in the Galbraith building for a competition of this chinese retheming of BANG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marc,

Would you please send me your contact(s) for the group.

Fridays (late afternoons?) may be something I can attend. I fondly remember a gaming club at Ryerson back in the day...

Thanks.

sharky6000 wrote:

Based only on number of emails I'd say they get 5-10 out weekly, but this is really a guess. As far as I know they're all students, mostly (if not entirely) grad CS students.

worf1729 wrote:

I personally believe it's a shame for a University not to have a gaming club. With all the board gaming available in Toronto it might not become popular.. but it's hard to say. I think if it started properly, i.e. with a small group of 5-10 dedicated people meeting regularly (2-3 of them doing the work needed to keep the club running) then it'd probably catch on. But the problem is that it would take time to attract more students.. so the benefits are mostly long-term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. One being an alternate day of the week to game if Wednesdays don`t work for someone. Another being it might be easier to recruit new gamers if they`re already on campus rather than trekking to 401.

401 Games is an excellent store, but I`ve never been too fond of their gaming space. Maybe a comparable or better space can be found on campus.

johncraven wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Ryerson still has an active gaming club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the Ryerson club is mostly into RPGs.

http://www.arrg.net/

And here`s a short article about gaming clubs at universities across Canada. To be recognized as an òfficial student club`(i.e. UTSU support), we`d need 30 members. If UPEI can manage to recruit 30 members, why not U of T?

http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2011/11/16/a-look-insi...

johncraven wrote:
I believe Ryerson still has an active gaming club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Worf Mogh
msg tools
sharky6000 wrote:

So... it's no longer on Saturdays and no longer in Hart House. Last year, they met only on Saturdays, then they alternated between Saturdays and Fridays.. and now it appears to be only Fridays. I'm on their list but I attend once per year, about

Can you get me access to this list? I need to meet at least a few students who would be definitely interested in this...

sharky6000 wrote:

I've looked into the requirements for starting a club and will apply for recognition once I'm sure I have at least a few other students to help me out...

If anyone else is interested in helping out please email me at nishav05 via gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm one of the many Marcs involved in this thread - in fact, I started it! I am still a faculty member at U of T, although I am on the Mississauga campus three days a week. I am still interested in somehow being involved with a gaming club, but I have been unable to scratch out any time from my schedule dedicate to the idea. However, if there is student interest in starting this and some sort of faculty support is needed, please feel free to contact me. My U of T email address is
marc.dryer[at]utoronto.ca.

I am a little overwhelmed with a conference that I'm planning for the summer (that has gaming as one of its themes, although in a niche area: medical gaming (education, therapy, and discovery)), so I can't dedicate too much time to another side project, but I will happily do what I can to help (and play games if the opportunity presents itself)!

Marc D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
The grad house also plays games on a weekly basis, although organization is more of an ad-hoc process. They have a facebook page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I'll check that out. Enjoying solo Sekigahara so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Phoenix
msg tools
I am actually pleased to announce that as of September 2011, there is a board games club who meets regularly at u of t. We are Pair-a-Dice Gaming, and i am one of the executive members of that club. We are a group recognized with the St. Michael's College. If you would like more information, please email us at pairadice.gaming@hotmail.com or look up Pair-a-Dice Gaming on facebook.

Also, we are hosting a Risk Tournament very soon. There are prizes to be won and if that is your cup of tea, then be sure to email us to register soon!

SilverPhoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear that this finally happened!

BTW, I saw that a good portion of St. George was closed today for students to find out about clubs/organizations etc. Did you have a booth there?

Curious: is the club open to all UofT students or just St. Michael's college students?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some of your favourite games? When are you planning to schedule your club meetings?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Phoenix
msg tools
We were not at the UTSU Clubs Fair as we prefer to save our funding for expanding our collection of board games, rather than have to pay for an info tables. We are open to ALL of UofT students, not just SMC students.

As for the games we like to play, we do have a vastly shifting number of games. We generally don't play the "classics" because we like to introduce people to games they haven't played before, though we are playing monopoly this week. We vary from card games (like timeline and red dragons inn) to tile laying (carcassone) to chance (zombie dice) to strategy (divinaire, settlers of catan and everything in between.

If you would like more info, either pm me your email and I can let you know when we're holding a meeting, or add us on facebook: Pair-a-Dice Gaming. =)

SilverPhoenix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.