On the Dot» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Our Umpteeth Game of On The Dot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
Move along.
This past summer, my family of four played this A LOT during our trip to Colorado. I took several games before we got the hang of, but after awhile, the racing was on to be the first one finished.

Well, tonight my 8 year old decided to pick this one for game time. It was just her and me. I knew that she had difficulties with matching up the cards this past summer, so I figured that I'd play easy on her. She excels in school and is extremely intelligent.

Since this was our first game of On The Dot since this past summer, it took a few minutes to grasp the nuances of using the cards. During the first game, I matched the first three play cards before she took the fourth. She was a bit frustrated because her dots were so close, but just not quite right. I matched the next two cards and won that game.

For the second game, I decided to REALLY take my time to solve them. She would notice how as soon as we turned over the next play card, she had just made one almost just like it during the previous turn. I again won the first three play cards before she matched up the next two that were some of the earlier patterns. After these easier ones, the next two were pretty difficult and even took me a bit to get figured out. After waiting quite a bit to see if she was going to be able to match them, I matched them when it appeared that she would be trying for quite a while. I won this second game.

We both had fun, but she was frustrated. I know that the recommended age is 10 and up, but she is able to grasp and do very well in many other games that have age recommendations above that. Is it the abstracts? Who knows.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.