Turandot» Forums » Reviews

Subject: American Idol in a wig and costume rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
After being a nervous wreck for two weeks.....
badge
I can finally exhale!! THIS TEAM!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview: In Turandot each player gets to be the manager of an opera house trying to get stage the most prolific Turandot. To achieve that the players arrange a casting show for the potential stars.

Components:
Since it is a card game, cards is all you get.
In detail:
109 cards divided as follows:
- 36 singers of 6 types
- 1 costume designer;
- 1 carpenter;
- 9 directors
- 6 characters from the Opera,
- 1 card with the maestro Puccini
- 55 player cards in each of the player colors
- 1 summary card.

The cards are sturdy enough to survive the harshest of opera rivalry. The artwork is very thematic, full of flavour and downright funny.

The only problem I have with the cards (and it's a small one at that) is that all the back sides are the same, which makes setup a bit longer.

Rulebook:Very clear and straightforward. To explain the game I find it essential though, to layout the cards and demo one round since a couple of rules are somewhat hard to understand without seeing the setup.

SetupHand each player their respective cards, shuffle director cards, shuffle singer cards, lay out the six character cards, done! Quick and painless.

Gameplay: Turandot is an auction game played over seven quick rounds (6 rounds of auditions for the cast; 1 round to hire a director). At the end of the game players fill the six character slots with whatever talent they were able to get their hands on.
The pool of hopeful consists of male and female singers with different musical backgrounds (from classical education to artists from the Goth scene) and varying talents. Directors usually have preference for a special background (and therefor can give a cast of respective talent a boost and the player much needed victory points) and a dsilike for singers coming from a different one resulting in minus points should one's cast include such a unlucky artist).
Good timing and the ability to read opponents will get you the perfect cast, tunnel vision and stubbornly holding on to an original strategy might lead to a merry band of wanna-bes, cats and tone-deafs.

There is, as always with auction games, some luck involved, but mainly it's a tactical game of leading your opponents to believe your planning something different than you actually are.

Scalability:The game scales beautifully for all numbers of players. There is a 2-player variant with a dummy player available, in my book though the game works for 2 players even without it.

Conclusion:A great filler that in our rounds has been a huge success with gamers and newbies alike. It scratches a similar itch as Filou/Felix - Cat in the Sack but to me offers even more fun because of the original theme and wonderful artwork. One of Essen's most pleasant surprises
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
The only problem I have with the cards (and it's a small one at that) is that all the backsides are the same, which makes setup a bit longer.

Sigh... in the original version every player has his deck of cards with a different back and the various kind of cards (singers, directors...) had different backs too.

In addition, the purple color (way TOO MUCH similar to the red one when you play in low-light) was black.

I don't know why the publisher made those changes.

Just a side note: the robot (which, of course, is called TuranBot) and the Ghost were not in the prototype of the game (the one which won the Best Unpublished Game contest): in their place there where two "trans", much like Rocky Horror style. I guess the editor replaced them to avoid problems with censorship.

There are also minor rule changes, I'm planning to post here on BGG the original ruleset which used a different tie-breaker rule (better, according to me).

Thanks a lot for the review, I'm very happy that you enjoyed the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
The only problem I have with the cards (and it's a small one at that) is that all the backsides are the same, which makes setup a bit longer.

I think you meant to write "back sides." When you spell it as one word it refers to a certain part of the body. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.