Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Rauh
United States
St. Peter
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a handful of games solo, and I am yet to use the alternate "Breakthrough Combat" rule. Am I missing something with this rule? And to widen the topic, do many of you who play the Germans run many of your units past American positions to gain ground even though it means you are isolated?

I wonder if I am too cautious as a the Germans; I usually try to break or push back defenders rather than run past them and be in isolation. My Volksgrenadiers just can't budge them on their own and need my armor to break up those pockets.

I guess this is a basic German strategy question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander A Person
msg tools
I have an old General magazine replay in which Blitz combat is used. I think the Germans need it in order to reach the river cities, but I've never used it myself. I too try to eliminate enemy units when playing solo (and fortify in cities as allies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rauh
United States
St. Peter
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why this is more of a German Strategy question. The times I played, it never really ocurred to me to run German army behind American lines where they will be isolated. They move slow enough as it is in mud turns and didn't see any real advantage. The only benefit I see in Blitz movement is to sling shot those armor a few extra hexes.

Could you summarize or share what the article said about Blitz movement? I feel I am missing a real important though subtle tactic here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BB81 was one of my favourite wargames. I used to play it weekly when I was in school some twenty years ago. I am giving my 2 cents from memory.

To effectively kill American units, the German player needs to envelope the American units with ZOC, preventing them from retreating (thus eliminating them in DR results). This is not easy as the Americans can do staged withdrawals.

However, once the Germans get some panzer units behind the American lines, they can hit many units from behind by using the roads. They can also go after the arty units that hide behind the main American line.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rauh
United States
St. Peter
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems to make sense. So one strategy is to simply bypass and surround/envelope some American units even though it means they will be isolated for a while. Will have to give that a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blitz = infiltration. It is quite useful for the Germans early in the game when the US is too weak to counterattack. It can be used where the US has 2 empty hexes between units. Germans can surround a neighboring regiment and eliminate it in a later battle in the same round.

You have to plan ahead and be patient. Some of the rewards are delayed. In the US attack phase trapped units have to attack whilst surrounded at terrible odds. In the next German attack the bypassed unit can be attacked if it couldn't run away.

Be warned, late in the game if the allies have reserves in the area and you won't end in rough terrain you're asking for the allies to cut up the infiltrators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.