Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
To some, this may be blasphemy, but whatever.

I have been painting the Space Hulk 3rd Edition models and I've been loving it...loving it enough to jump back into 40k after a decade hiatus and to get an army (or three). With the new rules edition and updated codexes on the way, I figure the timing is right.

Here's my question: when I inevitably get bored of the game, I want to keep the figures so that one day my kids could play with them. I know how to paint and coat the models so that they're pretty indestructible, but I think there are some armies that are better suited for this purpose than others.

For example, I recall the Eldar units having a lot of small add-on pieces such as equipment belts and so forth, which may be prone to breaking off. On the other hand, Space Marines don't have a lot of small, protruding parts, so those would be a better choice in comparison.

I'd love some advice on what armies tend to have the most "solid" models. This may seem silly, but it will be a major deciding factor in which 40k army(ies) I decide to get.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking at 40k, your best bet is to get the Assault on Black Reach boxed set and go with Orks and Space Marines. They're certainly the heartiest figures on the block. You could PROBABLY get away with 'Nids, as they're pretty indestructible too, but they have lots of pointy bits that I'd be afraid to let a kid play with. I'd stay away from Chaos Marines for the same reason: lots of scary, spikey bits. You could actually probably get alone with the Tau, as long as you stuck to fire warriors and armour suits. They're not as hearty as the Space Marines, but I think they're less fragile than necrons and eldar.

If you ever look at fantasy, it would hands down be Dwarves and Skaven. Really easy figs to put together. Most are single or 2 piece models that stand up to wear and tear really well. Third would, again, be Orcs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:
If you're looking at 40k, your best bet is to get the Assault on Black Reach boxed set and go with Orks and Space Marines. They're certainly the heartiest figures on the block. You could PROBABLY get away with 'Nids, as they're pretty indestructible too, but they have lots of pointy bits that I'd be afraid to let a kid play with. I'd stay away from Chaos Marines for the same reason: lots of scary, spikey bits. You could actually probably get alone with the Tau, as long as you stuck to fire warriors and armour suits. They're not as hearty as the Space Marines, but I think they're less fragile than necrons and eldar.

If you ever look at fantasy, it would hands down be Dwarves and Skaven. Really easy figs to put together. Most are single or 2 piece models that stand up to wear and tear really well. Third would, again, be Orcs.

Alright. Your comment kinda confirms where I was leaning (Orks and Marines). Having never played as the Orks when I was once into 40k, and having heard that Orks are getting updated to make them...well...viable, I think this might be the best option.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Em.. I wouldn't count on the 40k Orks getting a new codex any time soon. You may have been hearing about the Fantasy Orcs, which are...

The orks did get some of their rules clarified though, which will help them greatly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.