Subject: Yoohoo! I'm confused about the Uhu! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
The Duel in the Dark: Baby Blitz rules as written seem to indicate that the Uhu scores points as soon as it moves into a hex with at least one Mosquito that's at the same altitude. Even worse for the British player, the points scored by the Mosquito for any other German fighters that fly in with the Uhu are reduced due to the presence of the Uhu. This seems to create a situation where the Uhu can endlessly stalk one or more Mosquitoes with its 2 hex movement allowance and continue to rack up points as long as it has fuel remaining.

But I could be way off track, and the Uhu only scores when a Mosquito flies into a hex where it is already present. In this case, the first step of the game turn would be to move the Mosquitoes and score for the Uhu if any Mosquitoes have moved into its hex at the same altitude (plus quad flack, balloon barriers, etc.). The next step would be to move the German fighters, including the Uhu, and score for the Mosquitoes if any German fighters have moved into their hexes, reducing points for the presence of the Uhu. Then carry on with bomber and V1 movement, etc.

Does anyone have a clear idea of how all this is supposed to work? And if so, could you give me a few examples of scoring with different combinations of aircraft in the hex?

Thanks so much!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoohoo!
Did you tried reading this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
Biernath_John wrote:
Yoohoo!
Did you tried reading this?

Yes I did! I copied all the questions and answers into a Word document so that I could print it off, and found it to be very helpful. However, the questions I'm asking here weren't specifically addressed in that thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it was answered... but one has to read between the lines!

Quote:
If it is a matter of when to actually score this, you can score the Uhu's hits directly after the Mosquitos or with the other German fighters.

Well, you see, you have to read between the lines really hard Uhu ONLY scores in the same phase as other german fighters, so Mossie must enter Uhu's hex. In the design notes, they say they tried another scoring method for Uhu (Uhu attacks Mossies by flying into their hex),but later they changed it to 'old school attack only incoming planes' ruling. Too bad they didn't change game rules after that change.

Here's the master scoring list I once made, It covers every single scoring opportunity in the whole game, or at least I think so:

1. Mosqitos move
- Uhu scores vs. up to 2 Mossies (watch altitude)
- Each Quad Flak scores vs. all Mossies (watch altitude)
- Each Balloon Barrier scores vs. all bombing Mossies
- Fog scores (German earns VPs for landing Mossies)
- Thunderstorm scores (German earns VPs for landing Mossies)

2. German nightfighters move / railroad flaks move / Wilde Sau moves
- Each Mosquito scores vs. up to 2 German squadrons (except for the Uhu, if at different altitude)
- Fog scores (British score VPs for landing nightfighters)
- Thunderstorms score (British score VPs for landing nightfighters)
- Bombed airfields score (British score VPs for landing nightfighters)
- Ditched squadrons score (British score VPs for landing nightfighters)

3. British bomberstreams move
- Each German nightfighter score vs. all bomberstreams
- German flak scores vs. all bomberstreams
- Wilde Sau scores vs. all bomberstreams
- Fog scores (German scores VPs for landing bombers)
- Thunderstorms score (Germans scores VPs for landing bombers)
- British bomberstreams score their target cities

4. German He177 moves
- Each Mosquito scores vs. He177
- British AA scores vs. He177
- Fog scores (British score VPs for landing He177)
- Thunderstorm scores (British score VPs for landing He177)
- Bombed airfields score (British score VPs for landing He177)
- He177 scores for evanding Mosquitos (not after takeoff/landing/bombing)
- He177 scores for the target city

5. German V1s move
- Each Mosquito scores vs. single V1
- British AA scores vs. single V1
- V1s score vs target cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biernath_John wrote:
Well, it was answered... but one has to read between the lines!

Quote:
If it is a matter of when to actually score this, you can score the Uhu's hits directly after the Mosquitos or with the other German fighters.

Uhu ONLY scores in the same phase as other german fighters,

If this was true, then the Uhu would score in phase 3 with the other German fighters (and after the Uhu moves onto the British aircraft). But your wonderful scoring summary makes much more sense to me.

Biernath_John wrote:
1. Mosqitos move
- Uhu scores vs. up to 2 Mossies (watch altitude)

2. German nightfighters move / railroad flaks move / Wilde Sau moves
- Each Mosquito scores vs. up to 2 German squadrons (except for the Uhu, if at different altitude)

3. British bomberstreams move
- Each German nightfighter score vs. all bomberstreams

So in phase 2, the Mosquito can score against all German fighters, including the Uhu, but is deducted for the presence of the Uhu, if at the same altitude? I don't know why I find this so confusing... blush

But THANK YOU for taking so much time and effort to clarify this for me!! I appreciate it VERY much! And that scoring summary is incredibly helpful - you should upload it as a file so that we can print it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So in phase 2, the Mosquito can score against all German fighters, including the Uhu, but is deducted for the presence of the Uhu, if at the same altitude?

You got that right, I wasn't so sure myself until Michael confirmed that.

Let's say it again: Uhu does not score when entering a hex with Mossie(s). That rule was only tested at the beginning of the game development, and was dropped later. When Uhu enters a hex with Mossie(s), it becomes their prey. Uhu only has a chance to shoot Mossies when they enter Uhu's hex.

Some time ago I started to write my own rulebook for baby blitz, but I didn't have the strenght to finish it. The first chapters (component overview, game setup & sequence of play (+game steps in detail +scoring) are ready, all it needs is some detailed examples of scoring + a complete AAR + lots of pictures. I only wrote in plain .txt file, maybe someone should make a nice colorful PDF out of it?

This game could REALLY use a new, polished rulebook.And I would gladly help with the rules, but I lack the strenght and patience to do it by myself. If there is someone with PDF/graphics skills and some time to spare, we could MAKE A DIFFERENCE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biernath_John wrote:
This game could REALLY use a new, polished rulebook.And I would gladly help with the rules, but I lack the strenght and patience to do it by myself. If there is someone with PDF/graphics skills and some time to spare, we could MAKE A DIFFERENCE

I hear you - lack of graphic design skills is holding me back from completing a few game-related projects.

I just wish they had done it right the first time around!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.