$10.00
Tom Li
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I know that it's hard to find nowadays, but I've also heard people say that the Hundred Year's War is one of the "must-have" expansions for Battlelore. How much does this expansion add, compared to the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it takes out the "fantasy" to create something a bit more "historical". I use the terms loosely. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People more looking for C&C:Medieval than C&C:MedFan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stonebraker

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also used in some of the Heroes scenarios, and around the time Heroes came out, it became nearly impossible to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
One word...Halberdiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
Because it takes out the "fantasy" to create something a bit more "historical". I use the terms loosely. whistle

I'm not sure about this - I know there is a difference of opinion among BL players as whether it should be "C&C: Medieval" or "C&C: Fantasy Battles"*, but it seems to me that more people are interested in the Fantasy side than the Historical side for this system. I'd guess that this being popular has more to do with it including some really nice additions to the game.

*For my money, I could live with either direction but the mixed approach that DOW was going with bugged me and I'm glad that FFG seems to be picking one and running with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:

*For my money, I could live with either direction but the mixed approach that DOW was going with bugged me and I'm glad that FFG seems to be picking one and running with it.

I ask this is all seriousness - why does it bug you?

I very much appreciated the variety of play and theme that DoW's rolling out of the game was providing (and to most extent, is still there). I like having the option of playing Medieval Lore or "Full" Lore. I could see how having the Dwarves represent the Scots would give some pause, but if that really does prevent one from enjoying the game, plenty of quick to elaborate fixes available - the rule sets are fine.

I hope that more historical adventures are still in the works for BattleLore - the scenarios in the Hundred Years' War and Scottish Wars expansions rank right up there with my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:
I very much appreciated the variety of play and theme that DoW's rolling out of the game was providing (and to most extent, is still there). I like having the option of playing Medieval Lore or "Full" Lore.

I don't think it's *that* they tried the mix so much as *how* (because most modern fantasy settings are based at least partially on Medieval Europe, so the "mix" isn't completely out of the picture.

I like the "Medieval" Lore rules, actually, mostly because I'm the one who owns the game in my playground so I'll often play against people who don't know it as well as I do and this set-up allows me to easily and quickly add Lore to a game without needing to explain the War Council set-up and how to customize the deck.

Quote:
I could see how having the Dwarves represent the Scots would give some pause, but if that really does prevent one from enjoying the game, plenty of quick to elaborate fixes available - the rule sets are fine.

Well, I don't have a problem with the rules at all, mostly the way these were combined for the setting and the "Dwarves as Scots" thing is actually the biggest part of that, and, interestingly I don't like this element from either a historical *or* a fantasy viewpoint.

From a historical viewpoint, the Dwarf/Scots are too cartoony, not just the Dwarvishness, but also because the "typical" Scots image used for them has nothing to do with history (and this would be the case even if they were human Scots portrayed in a similar manner).

From a fantasy perspective, I just don't see Scots (either a cartoony version or a more accurate version) as being a very good template for Dwarves.

Quote:
I hope that more historical adventures are still in the works for BattleLore - the scenarios in the Hundred Years' War and Scottish Wars expansions rank right up there with my favorites.

Hundred Year's War looks good - I actually just bought it. For Scottish Wars, I do like the new rules/figures, but I have a hard time with the scenarios, and I'll admit that Scottish Dwarves are a big part of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it at a local retail store - I think it was the last copy they had but I haven't been back in since I bought it to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Johnson
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biomage wrote:
One word...Halberdiers.

Horn Blowers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.