Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy both TransEuropa and TransAmerica, although I only possess a copy of the former. I am assured that there is strategy in the game, but I haven't even gotten close to mastering it yet. What I do know is that the game is very entertaining; especially at the beginning of the game, after everyone has been dealt their cards and they realise what impossible connections they need to make.

Game 1
Liam (blue); Josh (yellow), James (red), Harley (white), Merric (green)

We were lacking a Rich, so I pulled out TransEuropa to fill in the gap. Five-player is pretty good, and it'd be quick. Oh my, it'd be quick.

Liam, James and Harley were playing their first game, and it showed with how James played. Poor James.

Liam did very well to be the first out; I lost 2 points, Josh and Harley lost 3 points apiece, and James, a whopping 7 points. Well, first game inexperience. Let's see how he'd go in the second round.

It wasn't better: I went out first, Liam lost 2 points, as did Josh; Harley lost five and James lost 6. I suppose it was better, but all of a sudden the game was over and Liam and I were tied for first place!

By now, Rich had arrived, so that meant only one thing: a six-player game of TransEuropa! Rich took Brown.

So close to connecting James and Liam (in the west) with the rest of us (in the east). Bad things were going to happen to my hand once they connected...

...and they did. I lost 7 points... and Rich lost 8! Hmm. James was first to connect everyone this time, in a great turnaround from his first two games. Liam lost 2, and Josh and Harley lost 3 apiece.

Could we do better the second round?

Possibly... but James is way out on his own over in England and France. Is he conducting an alliance?

NOOOOO!!! Wrecked again - with the game over and a very large number of Red cities not connected. I had to get to Bilbao. Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Harley was out first this time; Rich lost 2, James lost 3, Liam and Josh lost 4 apiece, and I matched my first round effort by losing 7!

Game over: Harley and James tied on 10 points, Liam next on 7, Josh on 6, Rich on 3, and me bombed out on 0 or less.

TransEuropa is great fun... but the swings of chance? Yeah, I don't have a clue what the strategy is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some cities in the Europe version have this 'racing track' border.

there is no mention of this in the rules.

does anyone know if this has a special meaning???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
some cities in the Europe version have this 'racing track' border.

there is no mention of this in the rules.

does anyone know if this has a special meaning???

To quote from the rules. "When playing with 2 or 3 players, remove the 10 city cards with dashed borders (2 per each color), placing them back in the box. These are not used in the game"

They are all out-of-the-way cities that would cause too much imbalance if you don't have many players.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bruce,

Can't believe I missed that rule.

Ahwell, at least we didn't play it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.