Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't own this game, but would like to purchase it. However, I was wondering if there is a 2-player variant for the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william riley
United Kingdom
Wigan
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there were I wouldn't recommend it.

This game shines with more players not less.I would only recommend this game if you could get 4 to 6 players for it.

Great game in my opinion but you need the players for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Pink wrote:
This game shines with more players not less.I would only recommend this game if you could get 4 to 6 players for it.

Great game in my opinion but you need the players for it.

Agreed.

The one possibility for a two player game might be to have each player control two colors independently, and then score them separately at the end. Throw out the higher score for each player. Then the player whose lower score was highest wins.

That should work well, but I haven't tried it. Obviously you should have the two teams you control cooperate as much as possible. But if Vikings from your two teams are in the same location they would still have to fight. The most likely problem would arise from selecting cards for battles between your two teams. I wouldn't try this two player variant with a new player.

I would suggest playing this game with more people if at all possible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Senki
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We tried your suggestion of two colors each and it worked reasonably well. Coordinating the deployment of two tribes was generally easy to manage and winner determination by lower score worked nicely to maintain tension. We finished with one player having equal value castles and the other only a point differential between their two.

Most, if not all, of the nuanced decision-making whether to heavily commit or reserve vikings remained, although there develops an asymmetry with players gladly risking their tribe having greater castle value. Use of a sacrificial lead viking on attack could help ensure the trailing tribe carried away some nice brick booty. cool

Admittedly, if felt odd having a viking gladly lose their 'same team' battles to finally resolve a brick, but then again one never wants to send these chaps too far into hospital. Thematically, these felt more like rigged squabbles over the spoils than completely rigged fights. We, at least, did not try using inter-team fighting to manipulate hand strength via card-passing but I imagine this could occur.

Perhaps next time we'll try not having coordinating tribes duke it out, but rather consider them peaceable with one another and allow the controlling player to simply to decide the spoils.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.