Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Dew
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest in an ongoing series of threads detailing my homemade Talisman game. This one (obviously) will deal specifically with the Dungeon.

We really wanted to like the Dungeon, but had a love/hate relationship with it. One night, it would be too easy, providing an easy path for some foolish adventurer, another night, a moderately strong character would get sliced to ribbons for almost no benefit.
Simultaneously, we had some GREAT effects and ideas for cards, but didn't really have a place for them. To put too powerful a magic object in the Adventure deck, where it can appear too early, could be disastrous, and the same with the reverse. If too great a threat/trap/monster annihilates a character, then thats no fun.
So, we decided there was no way to balance the Dungeon; it had to be dangerous. We made it even MORESO, but added some significant "carrots" to lure suckers heroes to their doom glory.

Just for giggles, I thought we'd start here, with an Adventure card designed to close the Dungeon! This wasn't our first idea...

Adventure

Event-1 Mythconception

If the Dungeon ever really did exist, it doesn't any more. Fold it up and put it away.
[characters in the Dungeon are unceremoniously dumped on their starting spaces]

I have to say, I think this wacky cards is a hoot! And I am a big fan of adventuring in the Dungeon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the Dungeon "Secrets". I've covered the gamut of Secrets over in Talisman (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/407729/secrets-in-talism...) but I thought I'd detail these, with this image.

Secrets were the first of the "Zero" cards (cards that occur before Events in order). They were meant to be hidden information cards that could add some surprise and secrecy to the game. They had to be 0 so they couldn't e left on the board for someone else to uncover, nor could they be seen by someone to whom they did not belong.

Dungeon

[secret spells do not count against your craft-allowed total spellcount]

Secret spell 0-Conversion

You may convert up to 3 points of your permanent Strength (except for starting quotas) into Craft or vice-versa.

We wanted to keep it somewhat limited, and there's a slim possibility of a Counterspell.

Dungeon

Secret 0-Potion of Heroism

When you quaff this potion (discard it) gain four Strength or Craft, in any combination, for the remainder of the turn.

Dungeon

Secret Magic Object 0-Talisman of Lore

While this Talisman is in your posession, your Craft is increased by one. Though it doesn't count as a carried object, it does count as a Magic Object for the purpose of any and all encounters.

This is an early (not so) Secret. It needs modification, but I haven't done it yet. That IS, however, the Minstrel holding it.

Dungeon

[secret spells do not count against your craft-allowed total spellcount]

Secret-Spell 0-Necromancy

You may cast this spell at any time. It will cause another player to lose a life, which you will gain.

This POWERFUL Secret can wreak havoc when timed correctly or if its combined with other Secrets, as I discovered.

Dungeon

Secret 0-False Talisman

You may expose this Secret at any time, but it must be told before a target enters the Valley of Fire. A Talisman of your choice is an imposter.

This BRUTAL Secret can have devastating effects, obviously.

Dungeon

Secret 0-Vorpal Weapon

When, as a result of a combat, you cause another player to lose a life, you may reveal and discard this secret, causing the player to lose a second one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.