John O
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Two men walking abreast.
mbmbmbmb
This is my Bang Gun* at the 100 yard indoor range. The pace down here is slow and rules are simple. You must shoot from the bench at a minimum of 25 yards and you must allow at least two seconds between shots. I find shooting from the bench to be pretty relaxing. I try to clear my head of all other worries and focus on my hand position, posture, cheek placement, breath control and trigger control.

There are 9 2" targets and 5 1" targets on the paper. I shoot 5 rounds at each 2" and one at each 1". I shoot fifty rounds at fifty yards. A perfect score would be 500 points.

This is what the target looks like 50 yards away.

I don't know what to think about the consistency of today's inconsistency. I've been averaging 1 inch groups - actually about .9". Until today I'd shoot a series of .375" to .75" groups and then have one or two average wrecking groups of 1.5" to 2.0". That I could dismiss as an anomaly caused by ammo defects.

*I call it the Bang Gun because of the slow pace of fire. After this game of Fifty Rounds at Fifty Yards, I went upstairs to the pistol range and shot my Bang Bang Bang Gun at moving targets.

As a side bar, I fired twenty rounds from my 9mm carbine at 50 and 100 yards at an eight inch target alternating using a red dot sight and the iron sights. It ain't precision shooting but I put them all but one in a circle smaller than a zombie's head. Good enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad, but my wife could out shoot you easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Two men walking abreast.
mbmbmbmb
I'm sure she could now but would she be able to if she were 60 years old and wearing bifocals? The rifle has been slightly modified with a new stock and barrel and the trigger and sear has been de-burred and polished. I shoot the same better quality match grade .22 LR every time.

I have put five rounds in the 10 ring in an overlapping 3/8" group once. Half inch groups aren't that uncommon. But with the tweaks to the rifle and good ammo I should be able to do that time after time. The fact that I can't reflects more on me than it does on the weapon. And I hate that.

I actually put all this data into a spread sheet. I measure the group sizes in the 2" targets and average them off and then divide the total score on the 2" targets by that number to get an adjusted score. Then I add 10 points for each hit on a 1" target. One of the reasons for this convoluted scoring system is there are 9 2" self adhesive targets on a sheet and I have a scores of 1" black dots left over from my pistol targets that I hate to throw away.

I'm thinking about adding in the results of a 2d6 roll. If I roll double ones, it's a Critical Hit and I double my total score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly Scrib, I don't know anything about guns. When my wife starts talking about shooting I tend to zone out until she's done.

I know that she buys Eley Tenex for her team typically. I know this because the cooler I take my lunch in says Eley on it. I guess that's Match Grade Ammunition.

She's never shot anything bigger than a 22 in competition (Except for one AR15 Competition she shot with her father just for fun a few years ago)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Two men walking abreast.
mbmbmbmb
So your wife is a competitive small bore shooter? Does she coach a team? Even tricked out, my Ruger 1022 is a far cry from a serious competition gun. I usually shoot Eley Match Rifle which is a step below Tenex. On occasions where I can't find that, I shoot Eley Match Pistol but re-zero the gun. In my experience that ammo will travel 50 yards in a reasonably straight line also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
She is a competitive small bore shooter, but not as much as she used to be. She's the head coach at Ole Miss, they've had a few tough seasons. But she just had a great signing class this year.

Me, I hate guns. We're a match made in heaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here Scrib, this is my wife, and her team. SEC-TV Weekly profiled her team just before last season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
She is a competitive small bore shooter....

Adding your wife to my "People to try and never make angry" list.

Scrib's already on there - he has more or less a permanent listing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.