Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my third game yesterday, which saw the Emperor lead his faithful subjects to a holdout victory, and this question arose:

When a Thuderhawk transports units and Heroes does the Hero (and his retinue) take up one of the two spaces or can they tag along for free?

We played it that they didn't take any space as they aren't ever counted when checking for over stacking but under Moving Heroes on page 32 the rules state that they are considered units for movement which made us unsure.

Your thoughts on the matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that they count as a unit for this purpose. If they didn't count as a unit then the Thunderhawk couldn't transport them at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played that they did count as one of the two units. FWIW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be "dumb" however it may also be a balancing issue. It would be much easier to take the spaceports if the primarchs traveled for free. Two marines, a primarch, and a thunderhawk pack a significant punch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Keep in mind that both players would lack or have access to the same ability

The Imperials do not have flying transports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Paint it red; RED 'UNS GO FASTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeDowd wrote:
Perhaps they chose to counter the thunderhawk pickup/drop abstraction with the hero-takes-a-space abstraction to prevent heroes teleporting all over the place.

I feel this is closest to the heart of the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kuha
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I can tell we are going to be mortal enemies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an official ruling on this issue? Because it's not explicitly stated in the rulebook. We played it that the hero tagged along for free and it really destroyed my chances of winning as the Imperials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is there an official ruling on this issue? Because it's not explicitly stated in the rulebook. We played it that the hero tagged along for free and it really destroyed my chances of winning as the Imperials.

No. I sent an email to FFG a couple of weeks ago to find out when an FAQ is coming out. I have not heard anything back yet. There are also no official rulings on their web site either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to bring this issue to a conclusion:
the just published FAQ rules that heroes can not be transported by Thunderhawks. A surprising ruling that many players will probably decide not to follow. Giving the heroes one of the two slots would be an intuitive alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.