Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
119 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: POLL POSTED: See PAGE 5... Stronghold Games Announces the Reprinting of the classic game "Survive!" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

NOTE: Please go to PAGE 5 for a POLL on "What should the components and colors in the new edition of 'Survive!' be like?"

Stronghold Games Announces the Reprinting of the classic game "Survive!"

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New Jersey, USA and Ontario, Canada -- April 24, 2010

Stronghold Games is proud to announce the long-awaited reprint of the classic game "Survive!". This highly-regarded game has seen printings and editions in numerous countries and languages, selling almost 1.5 million copies worldwide. Stronghold Games has been selected to bring the game back to life for both fans of the previous editions as well as a new generation of gamers.

Stronghold Games has obtained full rights to all versions of the game including "Survive!", "Escape from Atlantis", and "Atlantis". The new edition will feature a rule set that will enable gamers to enjoy the original "Survive!" rules, plus it will add new optional elements combining the best of the previous editions. This edition will benefit from the direct input of the original designer, Julian Courtland-Smith. To respect the lineage of the game, the new edition will be titled "Survive: Escape from Atlantis".

In "Survive: Escape from Atlantis", players are tasked with escaping from an island that is slowly sinking into the sea. Players control a number of stranded citizens who must escape to islands surrounding Atlantis. Along the way they can be helped by boats or dolphins, but danger lurks everywhere! Sea monsters, whales and sharks can stand in the way of escape. The island sinks in a different way each game, so players must adjust their strategy from game to game. Head for the high ground if you must, but be prepared to make a desperate swim for safety!

"Survive: Escape from Atlantis" is scheduled currently for release in Q4 of 2010. Stronghold Games holds rights to print the game in all languages and territories, and a full list of the included languages will be made available at a later date.

"Stronghold Games is the most professional organization with which I have ever had the pleasure to work." said Julian Courtland-Smith, designer of the game. "I am proud to be working with them on this project. I fully anticipate the Stronghold Games edition of ‘Survive!’ will be the best version of the game to date."

More details on this production will be made public as the scheduled release date approaches.

Parties interested in foreign-language licenses should contact Stronghold Games immediately.

About Stronghold Games LLC:

Stronghold Games LLC is a publisher of high-quality board games and card games within the designer game industry. Stronghold Games is scheduled to release Code 777 and Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War in Q3 and Q4 of 2010. Stronghold Games LLC is a Limited Liability Company formed in the State of Delaware, USA.

Stephen Buonocore, Managing Director
Stephen@Stronghold-Games.com

Kevin Nesbitt, Managing Director
Kevin@Stronghold-Games.com

Mailing address:
Stronghold Games LLC
17 Sunflower Road
Somerset, NJ 08873 USA

Phone: +1-908-304-5711

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Stronghold Games Announces the Reprinting of the classic game "Survive!"
Great news!

I can quit combing Ebay.

Mark one as "sold".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!, this is great news. I loved playing 'Escape from Atlantis' when I was younger till my little brother peed on the board and destroyed it. Never did get round to getting another copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
I loved playing 'Escape from Atlantis' when I was younger till my little brother peed on the board and destroyed it. Never did get round to getting another copy.

Wow. That's a sore loser!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
he was only 2 - 3 yrs old at the time, he walked onto the board like Godzilla and peed on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
he was only 2 - 3 yrs old at the time, he walked onto the board like Godzilla and peed on it.

Make him buy you a new copy now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to make a lot of thrift geeks happy! (or unhappy, if they're Ebayers... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCallum
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Score! I have introduced lots of people to Survive and everyone always asks where they can get a copy. Now it will actually be possible to make their dreams come true as a reasonable price...hopefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Miller
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet!!! I recently borrowed a friend's copy of this game and I was going to conveniently "forget" to return it whistle but now I don't have to. This will be going on my Christmas list for sure.

Now I will have to find a new game to look for at the GenCon auction

Lisa in CO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man. im geeked about this, I wonder how long it will take?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LIGHTNING GOOOOOOAT
United States
Stafford
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unicorniclops wrote:
Man. im geeked about this, I wonder how long it will take?
Out by December. Q4 2010.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent news. I eagerly await its release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be better if it could be released by, say, October of 2010 (also in the Q4 of 2010) for, say, Essen. Maybe it could then be available at BGG.con for mass consumptions.

edit: darn properly spelled words that are knot what eye mint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a secret goal of having advance copies at Essen... if not for sale, then perhaps for demo (though I guess it's a secret goal no longer). I don't know if it's possible to make this goal, but it would be nice.

Stephen and I are both dead set upon concentrating upon quality first and speed second, so if it means delaying a production slightly in order to deliver you a better product, we'll do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell us about the bits!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great!! I introduced my wife to my parents' copy of this game we used to play as kids and she actually quite liked it. Now I can hopefully get her to play more often once the new edition comes out. I am really excited about this new edition!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
Tell us about the bits!

Yes BITS!!!! my hope is that the whale and sea serpent are the same but I hope that they replace the crappy plastic people with something much cooler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Horace Silver: The Cape Verdean Blues || Horace Parlan: Happy Frame of Mind || Dexter Gordon: Doin' Allright || Hank Mobley: Roll Call
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the bits are key. I've got a copy of Survive!, and the family enjoys it, but it is visually quite boring. If it had top class components, I have no doubt it would get to the table more frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Tell us about the bits!

Quote:
Yes BITS!!!!

As for the bits or "BITS!" if you prefer (I mean, the game is "SURVIVE!", right?):

Most of the production is still undergoing brainstorming and pricing. The goal is to provide the best possible bits in the box that we can without asking our customers to shell out oodles of cash.

I'm pretty fond of nice wooden bits, personally. They don't give you the same level of detail that plastic can, but they just have a quality weight/feel that plastic just can't quite achieve.

I do like the shark fin and whale-tail "meeple" from the previous editions, although I think we can make them a little bit bigger. In fact, I'd like to increase the size of all the game elements by 20% if the production allows. "If" is the active word there though; sometimes you just can't exceed certain limitations due to cost, bulk, or other reasons.

For you folks that are excited about the reprint, what kind of bits do you prefer: wood or plastic?

If you could have bits that were bigger than similar games, would that appeal to you? Or does it not matter?

I'm curious to see if my fellow 'geeks opinions are similar to my own in these regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
We have a secret goal of having advance copies at Essen... if not for sale, then perhaps for demo (though I guess it's a secret goal no longer). I don't know if it's possible to make this goal, but it would be nice.

Stephen and I are both dead set upon concentrating upon quality first and speed second, so if it means delaying a production slightly in order to deliver you a better product, we'll do it.

Local Essen pick up in Ontario? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belz wrote:

Seconded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Horace Silver: The Cape Verdean Blues || Horace Parlan: Happy Frame of Mind || Dexter Gordon: Doin' Allright || Hank Mobley: Roll Call
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
For you folks that are excited about the reprint, what kind of bits do you prefer: wood or plastic?

Plastic. Oodles of beautiful plastic. Something that would still draw looks if Claustrophobia and The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac were sitting on adjacent tables.

The cost is far less important than the quality, in my case. I've already got a functional one I can play. A new version that looks hot will have me reaching for my wallet, but something bland-looking, with meeples, won't be a blip on my radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Belz wrote:
otrex wrote:

Heh, that sounds expensive, but ask me again when we're closer to the time and I'll see if it's possible. I can't promise it at this juncture though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic and as 3-D as possible. (Judging from the image galleries here, Escape from Atlantis seemed to have the best bits). Big enough that detail isn't wasted on the figures. And I really liked how the bits were just the non-submerged parts of the figure.

That said, if you decide to go with wood, do an elegant board and non-primary colors for the figures.

To me it's a game that should either look like a toy (e.g. sea creature equivalent of toy soldiers and terrain) or have an almost Samurai-like refinement. Sleek and witty (fin, tail) would be the best way to handle cheap. You can do a lot with color and shape.

The mix of cardboard and plastic turned me off on some of the earlier editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.