Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Small World» Forums » General

Subject: ipad App gets big promotion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Pretty nice placement on the app store...



oh yeah Goo Goo dolls rock!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
When I get an iPad SW will be the first app I purchase.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played it yet on Ipad? How is it? Can you play against the AI?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Has anyone played it yet on Ipad? How is it? Can you play against the AI?


It's awesome but (right now) there's no AI to play against.

Allegedly, there are expansions coming. I believe AI is one of the rumored things on the horizon.

Still, even without AI, it's tremendous to put the iPad between you and play a 2-player game in 10-15 minutes. Definitely worth the money.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Has anyone played it yet on Ipad? How is it? Can you play against the AI?


There's no AI, it's 2p only and doesn't have all the races & powers, but it is FANTASTIC! It's such a wonderful way of playing a great board game that all the negatives don't matter.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:
Omahavice wrote:
Has anyone played it yet on Ipad? How is it? Can you play against the AI?


There's no AI, it's 2p only and doesn't have all the races & powers, but it is FANTASTIC! It's such a wonderful way of playing a great board game that all the negatives don't matter.
Alot of these electronic implementations do limit the # of players. Also, the extra races and powers may be available as micro-transactions. For some, this sort of business model is considered asinine, but I will digress that this sort of flexibility may be better way for them to go.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Also, the extra races and powers may be available as micro-transactions. For some, this sort of business model is considered asinine, but I will digress that this sort of flexibility may be better way for them to go.


Not the case as of yet, but if they were to release additional races & special powers in packs of at least 5 for .99/ea, I would totally buy in.

Hear that, DoW?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We hear it all

That doesn't mean it can all happen now (only so many hours in a day, even for our brilliant code crafters). laugh

And it doesn't mean all of it will happen, necessarily (such as pricing an expansion at 99 cents, for instance whistle )

But I can confirm there will be some AI, further down the road. We ain't finished coding this game yet.

And yes, Aldie, we were jazzed with this screen shot yesterday! Definitively made our day (or should I say our week!)

Eric @ DoW
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why is it 2p only? That seems quite odd to me unless they're trying to push people towards the cardboard copy via a taste this way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nordican wrote:
Why is it 2p only? That seems quite odd to me unless they're trying to push people towards the cardboard copy via a taste this way.
Probably screen real estate space. With certain card games like Uno, Money!, Poison, and other Knizia games on Ipod Touch, they max out at 4p. I always thought it'd be odd and cumbersome to fit a 5th player on the screen. With 4p, each player gets a side of the screen.


With Small World, I'm guessing this way they can fit more or less the whole 2p map easily on a single screen. For more players, there would be alot of scrolling, and perhaps too much info to keep track of.


Push come to shove, I do believe that's the hidden agenda with all of these computer versions of board games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nordican wrote:
Why is it 2p only? That seems quite odd to me unless they're trying to push people towards the cardboard copy via a taste this way.


Because when we started designing it, we weren't sure whether it would make sense at all to have more than 2 people seating around an iPad - imagine 3 of you sitting around an iPhone to play, whistle .

On that subject, and since what we want to encourage is face to face play (whether over the board game or an iPad), it is still not clear that 4 or 5 players would ever make sense on the current iPad. 3 would (since the board is the same size as 2) but that's quite a bit of rework (there are things in the game flow that become trickier w more than 2 players).

And yes, of course we're trying to encourage people to play and purchase our board games. We always do!

eric
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan schnake
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be interesting to see where this all goes. Kudos to DoW for jumping in early and heavy... innovation is energy.

All that said, I'm not sure I can see it for regular gaming. Not DoW's fault, but omg at the smeary fingerprints. Big screen for 1 person, but kinda tiny on a table between people.

But you know, as a kid in the back seat on a long drive, I would have killed for this, passing it back and forth, sitting side by side. Would've been much easier than trying to balance the backgammon set between us on the seat....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danman wrote:
It'll be interesting to see where this all goes. Kudos to DoW for jumping in early and heavy... innovation is energy.

All that said, I'm not sure I can see it for regular gaming. Not DoW's fault, but omg at the smeary fingerprints. Big screen for 1 person, but kinda tiny on a table between people.

But you know, as a kid in the back seat on a long drive, I would have killed for this, passing it back and forth, sitting side by side. Would've been much easier than trying to balance the backgammon set between us on the seat....
Your parents would've been willing to shell out $400 for one of these? NICE!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Erich wrote:

And yes, of course we're trying to encourage people to play and purchase our board games. We always do! :D

eric


You devious monsters you. For a board game company to have such a secret agenda...

Maybe you should consider adding "advertising" as a special ability in a future expansion. It could allow you to nick gold from other players by selling them pretty cardboard bits.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
danman wrote:
It'll be interesting to see where this all goes. Kudos to DoW for jumping in early and heavy... innovation is energy.

All that said, I'm not sure I can see it for regular gaming. Not DoW's fault, but omg at the smeary fingerprints. Big screen for 1 person, but kinda tiny on a table between people.

But you know, as a kid in the back seat on a long drive, I would have killed for this, passing it back and forth, sitting side by side. Would've been much easier than trying to balance the backgammon set between us on the seat....
Your parents would've been willing to shell out $400 for one of these? NICE!!

As a parent, there are moments where you simply cannot put a price on silence.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Small World ap looks beautiful, and is a good selling point for the ipad.

Is there a definitive list on the Geek of ipad/iphone boardgame aps? Searching through the games on the ap store (even under sub-category "board") gets kind of tedious, and I know I might not even recognize some games because the e-version has been retitled.

Thanks!

DoW: Is Ticket to Ride far behind?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yojimbo252 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
danman wrote:
It'll be interesting to see where this all goes. Kudos to DoW for jumping in early and heavy... innovation is energy.

All that said, I'm not sure I can see it for regular gaming. Not DoW's fault, but omg at the smeary fingerprints. Big screen for 1 person, but kinda tiny on a table between people.

But you know, as a kid in the back seat on a long drive, I would have killed for this, passing it back and forth, sitting side by side. Would've been much easier than trying to balance the backgammon set between us on the seat....
Your parents would've been willing to shell out $400 for one of these? NICE!!

As a parent, there are moments where you simply cannot put a price on silence.
My folks bought me a Gameboy and SNES even though my grades could've stood to be better. But a $400 device would've been a much harder sell for them. I could've argued that the apps would've been super cheap compared to cartridges. That, and if my grades were better, they probably would've been more lax about the high price so I digress.


furtherbum wrote:
DoW: Is Ticket to Ride far behind?
It would be the next logical step, unless they're worried about sales digging into their TtR subscriptions and CD-ROM game for PC. I think the consumer world is big enough for TtR to be on both platforms
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't this thread be in the News section? Someone's not following procedure wow


Anyone know if we (of which I mean anybody else who will have an ipad) will be able to use DoW promo code to get a discount towards this app? I'm guessing no, but had to ask anyways.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, our web codes cannot provide you with any discount toward a purchase on the App Store.

Eric @ DoW
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents. First game I purchased, and I hope they, et al., release more like it. I am fine with no AI and two player game. I want a real game board experience as much as possible. I see this as a travel game, so, can be played at motel/hotel without losing my pieces parts. Left a piece from Catan at the beach. Company mailed me a free replacement, but, this may not always be the case. Have a copy of Luftschiff and I lose pieces sitting at the dining table. Any who, no big fan of that yearly subscription base server on-line play. Hope if they enhance it too much they will have two downloads, this one, and the "others". Two reasons, if there is a price jump in games, and I don't want the extra code, that I wouldn't be using, hogging my storage on the iPad. This, the storage, adds up.

Clearly it was the screen size that limited the number of players. How about this, if you have two iPads, the game can be played by more than two players by wifi syncing up the board game across both iPads? Can you find 3 other players with iPads? Think about 4 iPad forming something of a large game board. Gee, how do you move the pieces across the screens? :) There is a line where the game goes from very good board game to video game, which loses appeal for me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lastname
msg tools
Or use iPhones for private pieces, like the Scrabble game does!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Hardy
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it and it is worth the money. No AI and 2 players only. When AI comes, it will be a free upgrade. Very nice way to play with the Ipad as a board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erich wrote:
Nordican wrote:
Why is it 2p only? That seems quite odd to me unless they're trying to push people towards the cardboard copy via a taste this way.


Because when we started designing it, we weren't sure whether it would make sense at all to have more than 2 people seating around an iPad - imagine 3 of you sitting around an iPhone to play, whistle

eric


What about 2 people or 1 vs AI for the iPhone...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure where to jump in about the ipad but here is my experience.

I recently bought it for the ipad (did not own the game) and it came with 2 player functionality. One or both players can be the "bot/AI". To be honest, I have not tried to see if both players can actually be the bot. I have played it against the AI numerous times (it plays fast, I will make no comment on my skill against the AI). I had so much fun I bought the 2 expansions for it. I also bought the board game and the 2 expansions that matched the ones on the ipad. I also downloaded the VASSAL module (my preferred method of gaming). The ipad version is done very well and addictive, I can sit on the couch and have at it. I have learned to watch the second player upside down, kinda goofy but I played risk upside down for years so I can manage.

Compared to face to face or PBEM boardgaming with 2+ players, the ipad version pales in comparison. Being on the road, on the couch, at the mall, alone, nothing beats the ipad for a quick game. I think the ipad screen is small, on a phone would be tough I think. Have not tried putting on the big screen (but why really?).

The game itself is lots of fun, I can see that it would be much more fun with more players and with no player interaction during the turn, a PBEM game on VASSAL looks very possible. As for the expansions, I am not so sure yet. If I want more complexity, I will play a wargame.

I look forward to more games like this on the ipad even if they are cut down a bit, better than no gaming at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.