tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Tom, I agree with everything you've said, right down to your last comment of using the regular W&W questions with the new version scoring. It's been very successful with my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Beaumont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
montag66 wrote:
Hey Tom, I agree with everything you've said, right down to your last comment of using the regular W&W questions with the new version scoring. It's been very successful with my family.

I would agree as well. I like the scoring method from "Family" much more than the "betting" method from regular Wits & Wagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad and montag66,

It's nice to get this feedback. We're curious of the ages of the kids in your family. This will help us get a good sense of who prefers these questions and who prefers the questions for the original W&W?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Chad and montag66,

It's nice to get this feedback. We're curious of the ages of the kids in your family. This will help us get a good sense of who prefers these questions and who prefers the questions for the original W&W?
Hi Dominick, my kids are 7 and 5. They both love your game and regardless of the question, my 5 year old son is convinced every answer should be 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The first time Tom said meeples, I heard meatballs.

Perhaps because I'm Swedish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this elsewhere, but here is an explanation about why we changed our policy on questions for the W&W Family edition:

In the original W&W, a question that someone knows the answer to can lead to a huge point swing, because that person can go "all-in". So that player is rewarded for how many chips they acquired on previous questions. That's a problem. Furthermore, our testing showed that a run-away leader made the game less fun. This is why we were very careful not to include questions in W&W for which people would be likely to know the exact answer.

In W&W Family, the most a player can get on a question is 4 points regardless of their previous score. 3 of those points are up for grabs by the other players. So if the betting for a question is obvious to a specific group, the relative points will only change by 1 point. No big deal.

This has allowed us to change the formula for the questions. We can now use questions where someone is likely to know the answer. This brings out one of the most fun elements of the game: figuring whose answer to bet on. Bringing out this element leads to more bluffing, which is another one of the fun aspects of the game. This social element got lost a little in the original game, and we're glad that we've been able to bring it back.

We still will not use a questions that are obvious to everyone. That would be silly. But there are times when a specific question is obvious to the entire group playing at that time. That's just a coincident that will happen more in W&W Family than in W&W.

I hope that helps explains what we were trying to do with the W&W Family questions. There were other changes we made too, but this addresses the aspect that seems to be bothering some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Selinsgrove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, looks to me like I'll be buying the original Wits & Wagers, and then grabbing some meeples and playing by this scoring system. Nice review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
This has allowed us to change the formula for the questions. We can now use questions where someone is likely to know the answer.

I've read this explanation (here and elsewhere), but as a big fan of the original I must say that this decision makes W&WF less unique and more like all the other trivia games on the market where people who retain trivia do well and those who don't retain it do worse. You say it doesn't matter because so few points ride on it; whereas, I think it does matter very much to the only person who gets it wrong (even when that's a different person from round to round).

I think that is a chief reason some people don't like trivia games, they make them feel dumb. It's certainly one of the selling points I use when convincing a non-trivia fan to try W&W "classic" -- NO ONE will know the answer, you just have to bet on which answer seems likely once you've seen all the guesses.

In our last game of W&WF, we had the question about how many feet in a mile. All but one person got it right, and that person felt stupid. A couple other questions went like that (you can figure out which as it seems like everyone here is hitting the same questions in order).

Other questions seemed too vague -- "How many Disney Princesses were there in Nov 2009?" Just in the Disney Princess franchise, or in any Disney cartoon or movie, and are you counting the Disney Channel shows? A debate about when Princess and the Frog was released followed. By the time we picked answers it seemed like each of us had a different impression of what the question meant.

Ages in that game were (6 and 12, teamed), 9, 11, 15 and 49. Afterward, when I offered another game of W&WF, they asked to play the original.

Like Tom, I feel I have to add a disclaimer: This all sounds negative but it really isn't a bad game, our family just doesn't like it as much as the original (even for the target audience).

Some good points: I like the new scoring and the markable score track. Also, these markers all worked (we've had bad luck with two W&W and one Say Anything set). In fact, I carry 2 packs of colored dry-erase markers in my car for when we play Northstar games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.