Subject: Managers all at sea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to know what is the accepted wisdom for the use of a manager with a pearl farm. I assume a pearl farm is not like an oil rig, so you can't store materials there. You presumably arrive with a boat load of stone and then convert them one-per-turn into pearls on the boat. So, suppose I want to use a manager with one to double the processing rate. Do I have to carry the manager on the boat (so reducing my load of stone by 1)? Can the manager be left to skin dive at the pearl farm? Or can stuff be dumped at the pearl farm just like an oil rig, after all?

Thanks for comments.

- Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This went up a while ago, but no response. Anyone from Splotter who could offer an answer on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek Long wrote:
I want to know what is the accepted wisdom for the use of a manager with a pearl farm. I assume a pearl farm is not like an oil rig, so you can't store materials there. You presumably arrive with a boat load of stone and then convert them one-per-turn into pearls on the boat. So, suppose I want to use a manager with one to double the processing rate. Do I have to carry the manager on the boat (so reducing my load of stone by 1)? Can the manager be left to skin dive at the pearl farm? Or can stuff be dumped at the pearl farm just like an oil rig, after all?

Thanks for comments.

- Derek

Of course I am in no way an official answer, but the way we have always played is that you can drop off the manager, and the stone, and it will happily make pearls all day.

Now that you bring up the question, maybe it was intended that you needed to have the boat there to hold the stone, and then make the pearl.

I hope that Splotter does give us an official answer.

I sure hope we are playing right, as I think it's tough enough as it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, tying a boat to the pearl farm while it produces seems very tough in a game about logistics, so I guess it behaves like an oil rig. An oil rig can be exploited as a store house, of course, and I suppose I was partly wondering whether a pearl farm is allowed to play a similar role. Sometimes it is handy to have places to drop off stuff that is safer from the competition than stashing it on land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, a pearl fisher cannot store any goods - you have to keep the boat there I'm afraid... the main reason rings only costs two pearls to produce.

And managers cannot swim by themselves either ;-).

Jeroen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jeroen! Glad I asked - it does make the logistic support for pearl fishers trickier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.