Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I do with my kids to keep up their math skills over the summer is play games with them. Although there are a lot of games that have hidden (or not-so-hidden) math, I also like to occasionally use games where math is the focus of the game.

I own several math games, many of which involve trying to form expressions to try to hit a target number. However, I couldn't find any decks that allowed players to see and potentially change the operations used in the expressions. So, I designed a deck of cards that would allow for progressive manipulations. I plan on using it to design some games for my own kids, but I thought I'd offer it up here in case anybody else could make use of it. It could be available as a print-and-play deck or as an ArtsCow deck.

Here are the properties of the deck:
54 cards
#1-9 in six suits: rain, clouds, leaves, clovers, fish, and butterflies
3 colors: gray (the weather suits), green (plant suits), and purple (animal suits). This allows every card to have a "sister" card (i.e., same number and color, but different suit)
Each card has a number in the center, surrounded on the edges by the four basic operations with that number.

Most "hit the target" math games should be adaptable to the deck, as well as many traditional card games. The deck allows for a greater variety of mechanics and scoring systems than basic number decks, and it also allows for the use of negative numbers by using the -x edge of the card.

Here's an example of some of the mechanics that can be used with it:

Edit: I went ahead and created a game page for the deck, which can be found here: Four Operations Math Deck. All of the files for making the game and the ArtsCow link can be found on that page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lallatin
United States
John Day
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great. I would love to print out a set of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea

And very cute, too .. I like that simple, kids-friendly design .. this ought to bring the fun into math basics

An artscow link would definitely be cool to have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
Dereferenced variable scope line 68109: check null set failed (0xff83de47)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a very cool idea, and well executed too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k harris

lexington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to have a set too. Nice job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it!
I think you should get a page for it. If nothing then just to mark the mechanic as yours.
An Artscow link would be great too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
Dereferenced variable scope line 68109: check null set failed (0xff83de47)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
I like it!
I think you should get a page for it. If nothing then just to mark the mechanic as yours.
An Artscow link would be great too.

I hereby endorse this idea or product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments and interest in the deck! I decided to go ahead and add it to the database: Four Operations Math Deck. The files and ArtsCow link can be found there.

I would love for anybody who has ideas for games to play with the deck to post their ideas on the game's page. I'll be adding a couple of ideas as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: There are now several game ideas posted on the Four Operations Math Deck game page. All of the games can be used for increasing mental math skills and overall flexibility with numbers, although each approaches this goal differently. Here's an overview of the games currently available:

Game+Set+Math (by K Septyn): This is a realtime game that is a fun way to build speed in mental math. Players try to be the first to find cards in a 12-card array that can be combined to hit a target number. It's very easy to customize the game to make it suitable for different skill levels.

1-2-3 More Fish for Me: This one's geared more toward younger elementary kids, as all of the target numbers are single-digit. It incorporates light elements of memory and deduction, and can be adjusted for pre-K kids who are just learning their numbers. It could also be used with older kids to teach probability, as there is a risk management element as well.

Creature Capture: Players must try to gain the best treasure by using their gray weapon cards to hit the target numbers of the creatures on the table. As the cards in the players' hands don't change much throughout the game, players must think through different ways of combining the numbers. There are incentives to hit larger numbers and to use all of the cards in one's hand.

Mountain Climber: Players try to use their cards to hit an ever-increasing target number. They must plan ahead because they may only draw new cards when they use all of their remaining cards or if either player "busts" by not being able to hit the current target.

Walking on Clouds: This is a race game with a "take that" element. Players race across a line of clouds while trying to avoid the clouds that are raining. There is an incentive to make larger (double-digit) numbers, which can allow players to skip clouds and "hop" to the next one.

Ant Colony: This is a cooperative strategy puzzle-game in which players lay cards to build their ant colony and store food cards before winter comes. In order to play strategically, players must often form negative numbers.

Most of these games are for 2 players, although Game+Set+Math and Walking on Clouds can support more and Walking on Clouds and Ant Colony can also be played solo. Many of the games could be adapted for more players by combining two decks.

I've been having a lot of fun playing around with the possibilities of the deck, so it's likely that more games will eventually show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pamela Tan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! My file has been approved by the mods - I compiled all of the above games into a pdf file - go see, and download! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 3,000th thumbsup goes to this geeklist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A skinned math nerd wrote:
My 3,000th thumbsup goes to this geeklist!

I feel so honored !

I need to write out and post the rules to another game we've been playing with the deck this summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.