ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Catan series is a board game powerhouse which has brought in all sorts of new people in the rank and file of board game aficionados. Some of the qualities which have been vital to its success include its easy-to-learn strategy and its quick game time. However, Catan is also known for its interesting expansions which allow for further variety and expansion. So what happens when these expansions contradict the very qualities which make Catan such a hit?
Cities and Knights added a lot of depth to the original Settlers of Catan and provided new avenues of strategic gameplay. For casual players, this may have been too much, but for fans of Catan it was a welcome addition. And with each new Catan expansion must come a new e-6 player extension, allowing two new players to join in the action. However, Cities and Knights is already more complicated and long, and with two more players, this can simply lead to an overkill of Catan, reaching the end of the spectrum opposite the qualities of Catan which made it popular in the first place.

Additions
As far as new materials go, there’s really not much. There are green and brown wooden pieces for new knights and city walls. I do like the green and brown colours, though. I would prefer them to the orange or white. The game also comes with two more development flip board for the two new players, and a couple new cards to boost the commodities appropriately. Oh, and there are a few new water pieces to help extend the island.

Critique
The only ways that this expansion really affects the regular Cities and Knights game is that the board is larger, to accommodate the two new players, and the game takes longer. The special building phase, introduced with the regular 5-6 player expansion, only adds to this length. In this case, however, the extra phase may be necessary as players can activate knights at this time, lest the barbarian horde storm their shores before they have a chance on their own turn.
This lengthening building phase as well as the added competition for metropolises, defender cards, and commodities can be frustrating. The expanded island does provide enough possibilities to expand your colonies, but when there are five people to go through between your turns fatigue can begin to set in quite easily.
This 5-6 player expansion may be the Catan tipping point. Cities and Knights is a great expansion and the 5-6 Player is good to have so that no one is left out if a fifth or sixth person wants to join in. But sticking with the regular three or four players is highly recommended here, simply because the complexity of Cities and Knights makes you really feel the added length. For completists, this expansion’s main purpose will probably be just to have each piece of the Catan series.

Expansion -
Base Game -
Base Game and Expansion -

My Expansion Ratings
-- The expansion improves upon the original base game.
- - The expansion provides a differing experience than the base game but neither improves or detracts from the base game.
- - The expansion is effective and provides an interesting new aspect, but the base game is still preferred.
- - The expansion detracts from the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynan de Leon
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there new water pieces in the most recent version of the 5-6 player expansion for C&K? I think there were extra pieces in the 3rd edition (dark blue water), but I don't think there were extra water pieces in the 4th edition, because the extra frame pieces came in the expansion for the base game.

I agree about the length being frustrating for some people. In my regular Catan-playing group, we played 5-player games rather often, and our games go for about 100-120 minutes.

But I think it's because we laugh a lot about whose knights/cities are getting screwed. "Damn you, I'll give you three cards for your wheat!" We play long because we're not 100% focused on defending Catan while vying for Harbormaster (Traders and Barbarians) or Longest Road, but I think that even with 5-6 veterans, games of C&K could easily go for 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pakwan wrote:
Are there new water pieces in the most recent version of the 5-6 player expansion for C&K? I think there were extra pieces in the 3rd edition (dark blue water), but I don't think there were extra water pieces in the 4th edition, because the extra frame pieces came in the expansion for the base game.

That could be. I have the 3rd edition myself.

Also, were the rules for the third edition just a photocopied two sided paper? Or was it just me who got that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedArmyIan wrote:
Pakwan wrote:

That could be. I have the 3rd edition myself.

Also, were the rules for the third edition just a photocopied two sided paper? Or was it just me who got that?

Mayfair 3rd edition here. I have a full color set of rules.... actually, I THINK.... I'll have to check my copy, but I'm farily certain of it.

AFAIK, 4th edition Mayfair did away with extra water pieces in favor of the water frames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.