Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

On Board Games» Forums » News

Subject: Out of this World - Episode 5 - Tales of the Arabian Nights rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OBG Out of this World 5: Tales of the Arabian Nights

Giles and James discuss recently read Fantasy novels (The Shadows of the Apt, In the Name of the Wind, and The Temeraire Series). They talk about a recently played game - Crusdaer Rex, as well as some upcoming games they are looking forward to. Finally they take a close look at the game Tales of the Arabian Nights, by Eric Goldberg.



Don't forget that you can have this podcast magically transported into the imp-run music artifact of your choice at the great burning eye-tunes... and you can donate a few coppers to support the show at www.onboardgames.net


Web Site: http://onboardgames.net/
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the auto post worked. That's good to know.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I just listened to it, and it was another great episode. (Though I probably should have listened to it before I posted it...)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
I just listened to it, and it was another great episode. (Though I probably should have listened to it before I posted it...)


Thanks Don!

Next episode we'll have a controversial section right in the middle, something mixing conspiracy theories with religion, politics and the mating habits of the common sloth.

Have you read any of the books we reviewed? I am still chewing my way through book one of the Shadows of the Apt series. Quite good.

After Crusader Rex I am looking at Julius Caesar... perhaps too closely! Sadly I don't get as much of an opportunity to play that style of game, and we already have a few!

Cheers,

Giles.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for another great episode guys

I liked the pacing of the Temeraire books. Maybe a bit slow at times but nothing compared to some of Robin Hobb's books. In a way they remind me of watching a movie and I'm really looking forward to what Peter Jackson is going to do with them.

And for the next episode you will review Twilight Struggle Deluxe
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
Thanks for another great episode guys

I liked the pacing of the Temeraire books. Maybe a bit slow at times but nothing compared to some of Robin Hobb's books. In a way they remind me of watching a movie and I'm really looking forward to what Peter Jackson is going to do with them.

And for the next episode you will review Twilight Struggle Deluxe


Ha!

Some would argue that the moon landings during the Cold War were a fantasy, but then they might be people who don't have both feet fully grounded in our world to begin with!

Yes - I will be very interested to see what happens out of Peter Jackson having the licence to the Temeraire books - means I'll have to read them for a start! You reading this Jimmy? I'll have to borrow book one off you!

Thanks for the kind words Magnus!

Cheers,

Giles.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
Yes - I will be very interested to see what happens out of Peter Jackson having the licence to the Temeraire books - means I'll have to read them for a start! You reading this Jimmy? I'll have to borrow book one off you!


Noooo!!!


Never read a book BEFORE the movie! Why? Because the movies always pale in comparison.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
caradoc wrote:
Yes - I will be very interested to see what happens out of Peter Jackson having the licence to the Temeraire books - means I'll have to read them for a start! You reading this Jimmy? I'll have to borrow book one off you!


Noooo!!!


Never read a book BEFORE the movie! Why? Because the movies always pale in comparison.


I think even if I read a page a day I'd get the book done before the movie is released! No fear there Don! I agree, movies ruin books!

Anyone think of a good Fantasy movie?

I can only think of:

The Labyrinth
The Dark Crystal
The Princess Bride
Willow...

Any others...?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the rings 1, 2 and 3?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
Australia
Ashburton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
And for the next episode you will review Twilight Struggle Deluxe


Twilight Struggle? Is that some sort of Team Edward versus Team Jacob thing, where you have to make yourself the most glittery ponce in the known world?? I wouldn't class that as fantasy! I jest I am aware of Twilight Struggle but have never had any inclination to play it.

caradoc wrote:
Yes - I will be very interested to see what happens out of Peter Jackson having the licence to the Temeraire books - means I'll have to read them for a start! You reading this Jimmy? I'll have to borrow book one off you!


Incredible! You made a request sound like a threat! I doff my cap to you sir, you can borrow book one and Watchmen too.

Awakening wrote:
Lord of the rings 1, 2 and 3?


I can hear Giles frothing at the mouth, gnashing and yammering from 200 kilometers away at that suggestion. I for one have watched them and although I did enjoy the first installment that my enjoyment waned as the sequels followed. I found them to drag on too much in parts, have ridiculous action sequences and just not as enjoyable as the book.

Apart from the Labyrinth I can't think of any stand-out movies based on fantasy books. Wait! I thought of one: Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
greatsage wrote:
Twilight Struggle? Is that some sort of Team Edward versus Team Jacob thing, where you have to make yourself the most glittery ponce in the known world?? I wouldn't class that as fantasy! I jest I am aware of Twilight Struggle but have never had any inclination to play it.

Great, neither of you have played it! What a perfect opportunity to sit down and play this amazing game And like I've told Giles I couldn't care less for the theme but it's not really in your face while playing. My friend can't get enough of me beating the crap out of him, that's how much he likes the game

greatsage wrote:
I can hear Giles frothing at the mouth, gnashing and yammering from 200 kilometers away at that suggestion. I for one have watched them and although I did enjoy the first installment that my enjoyment waned as the sequels followed. I found them to drag on too much in parts, have ridiculous action sequences and just not as enjoyable as the book.

I do agree that the first movie was better then the other two.

The Vision of Escaflowne and The Twelve Kingdoms are two great fantasy anime series.

BTW, have you guys seen the movie Merlin? Saw it ages ago, was pretty OK back then.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
Lord of the rings 1, 2 and 3?


These only exist as books! sauron

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
Lord of the rings 1, 2 and 3?


Good movies, but some poor choices made that compromise some of the original story elements. Faramir was treated poorly!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
Awakening wrote:
Lord of the rings 1, 2 and 3?


These only exist as books! sauron


I find the books to be rather boring. They are either talking or walking most of the time. I think I made it through 1½ books.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
caradoc wrote:
Awakening wrote:
Lord of the rings 1, 2 and 3?


These only exist as books! sauron


I find the books to be rather boring. They are either talking or walking most of the time. I think I made it through 1½ books.


Everybody is different! I like the books a lot. Most other fantasy reads like cheap shlock action compared in my view. But then I also enjoy reading a lot of mythology and the pacing is similar.

I never bothered with the movies - if I want the Lord of the Rings experience I'd rather read the books - I don't watch a lot in any case though!

Cheers,

Giles.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
I never bothered with the movies - if I want the Lord of the Rings experience I'd rather read the books - I don't watch a lot in any case though!

The Books are great. The movies are also great, but the BBC radio drama is the best presentation of the material outside of the books.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
caradoc wrote:
I never bothered with the movies - if I want the Lord of the Rings experience I'd rather read the books - I don't watch a lot in any case though!

The Books are great. The movies are also great, but the BBC radio drama is the best presentation of the material outside of the books.


I had heard the radio play is excellent! I probably won't get a chance to listen to it though as all my listening time is chock full of podcasts!

Cheers,

Giles.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have previously reviewed Anansi Boys - so this is worth a mention:

There are apparently 30+ renamed craters on Rhea - moon of Saturn. One of which is now named Anansi... would Fat Charlie be impressed...? Probably not - but that's because he's a self obsessed narcissist! At least at the start of the book...

Cheers,

Giles.



Links:

http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/jsp/FeatureTypesData2.jsp?...

http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/images/rhea_comp.pdf
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your recommendation of the "Shadow of the Apt" series brings a recommendation to my mind. If you haven’t read it yet, check out the Final Empire trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. It also takes what might look like a standard fantasy story and gives it some new twists. One example would be the lack of magic which is replaced by Allomancy (as well as a few other things). Allomancers consume various metals to acquire certain temporary powers. And you want action scenes? When the Allomancers fight, it reads like a battle right out of the Matrix. These are definitely different books.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Your recommendation of the "Shadow of the Apt" series brings a recommendation to my mind. If you haven’t read it yet, check out the Final Empire trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. It also takes what might look like a standard fantasy story and gives it some new twists. One example would be the lack of magic which is replaced by Allomancy (as well as a few other things). Allomancers consume various metals to acquire certain temporary powers. And you want action scenes? When the Allomancers fight, it reads like a battle right out of the Matrix. These are definitely different books.


Sounds like it's worth taking a look at! I like the sound of the 'magic' and the action scenes sound fun as well.

Can anyone recommend a good single fantasy book? I have Janny Wurts To Ride Hell's Chasm - which isn't bad - but there is a lack of these as far as I can see...

Cheers,

Giles.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a matter of fact, Brandon Sanderson also wrote a stand-alone fantasy novel called Elantris which was quite good (and has nothing to do with the trilogy I mentioned). I'd also recommend Martha Wells' The Death of the Necromancer. Imagine a Shadow-like "organization" ( as in "who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men") operating within a Victorian world where magic exists.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers. I can't really tell you much about it, without giving it away, but I like it a lot.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wieman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giles,

This might be late to the party, but: if you haven't read American Gods (also by Neil Gaiman), I recommend it strongly. Better than Anansi Boys, in my opinion, and it's the book Mr. Anansi (the father) was introduced in.

Of course, I like his Neverwhere too. And the Graveyard Book. So, y'know, read some of his stuff.

Other fantasy -- I know you're looking for a single book, but I really liked "The Mirror of Her Dreams" and the sequel, "A Man Rides Through" by Stephen R. Donaldson. They really come as a set -- the first book ends at the climax with no resolution, in my view. But they're not excessively long.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Scholeologist wrote:
This might be late to the party, but: if you haven't read American Gods (also by Neil Gaiman), I recommend it strongly. Better than Anansi Boys, in my opinion, and it's the book Mr. Anansi (the father) was introduced in.


American Gods was an amazing book. I read it, and immediately passed it on to friends to read. Anansi Boys was also amazing, and you can tell it was written by a much more mature author. It's better written than American Gods and the topic, if not as wildly engaging, is very personal.

If you want a big story with the shaking of heaven an earth, then American Gods is the one for you. If you want something a little more Hitchcockian, then you can't go wrong with Anansi boys. It is very separate from American Gods, so you shouldn't let the fact there are two of them sour you on reading them.

Scholeologist wrote:
Other fantasy -- I know you're looking for a single book, but I really liked "The Mirror of Her Dreams" and the sequel, "A Man Rides Through" by Stephen R. Donaldson. They really come as a set -- the first book ends at the climax with no resolution, in my view. But they're not excessively long.
I tried reading Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, and couldn't. They were painful and soured me on him as an author. Are those two books different enough from his big series to make them worth checking out, or will they have the same level of appeal?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Wow. Wow. WOW. WOW!!!

OK, this is an older thread and maybe very few will read this, but if I can convince even one of you to try out Brandon Sanderson’s Final Empire trilogy (also known as the Mistborn trilogy), then it’s all worthwhile. I had already recommended the books earlier in this thread, but I was still reading the third volume when I wrote that. I just now finished it and I’m simply stunned. Not only were all of the books incredibly imaginative and different, but the climax was just amazing. And there wasn’t just one. They keep on coming until the book finally reaches its conclusion and you’re given an epilogue to give you at least a small cooldown period before laying the book down. And these climaxes aren’t as simple as "Hero A and Villain B are locked in final combat." I don’t know how best to describe them. Have you ever read a book or seen a movie (last year’s Sherlock Holmes come to mind) where something happens and then the author flashes back through the story to show you how he’d always been setting it up and you think you could have known what was going to happen if you’d only been able to put all of the pieces together yourself? It’s like that. Like every event in the story represented a twist of a Rubik’s Cube until that final event happened and you suddenly realized that you’re looking at a completed Cube.

I’ve read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy and I’m fairly jaded by now. Much of what I enjoy now is just some take on something I’ve seen many times before, but done in a better manner. These books are something else. Instead of building a better box, Sanderson has stepped outside to create something truly original and thoroughly entertaining.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.