Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been playing the steam based MtG computer game for a few days now and noticed something odd.

In the computer game, during the attack and block phase a player can often not play an instant or a creatures ability.

Regeneration for instance. Do you have to play this in the phase before assigning creatures to attack?

Am I interpreting this incorrect and can a player just respond with one action after which the initiative goes back to the other player? If this second player does not do anything the game moves to the next phase (assign damage)?

In our face-to-face games we allowed each player as much actions as mana permits but maybe that is just wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How you played it face-to-face is right.

If Player A is the attacker, B the defending player, before and after the declaring attackers step and after the declaring blockers step, each player gets the opportunity to play instants and abilities. In each of those steps, at first A gets to decide if he wants to play any instants or activate any abilities. If he does, he may keep priority and follow the first action up with another action in response. When he passes priority, B now can play instants and activate abilities. If B passes as well, the objects on the stack are resolved one at a time; after each resolution the players get priority in turn to play something again. If the stack is empty and both players pass, only then play proceeds to the next phase.

I hope that clears it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand the rules, you are correct: Players may play as many spells as they are able provided they are legal spells for the current phase.

The technical nitty gritty is that as each spell on the stack is resolved each player has priority(a chance to cast spells). So let's say 3 spells are on the stack. As the third one resolves first each player has a chance to cast an instant before the second resolves. If neither casts a spell, the second one on the stack resolves and players may again cast instants before the first resolves.

For your example with regeneration: The wording of regeneration lets you activate it at any point in a turn before the lethal damage is dealt and also in response to the lethal damage (since in the crazy world of Magic, effects happen before their causes).

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
For your example with regeneration: The wording of regeneration lets you activate it at any point in a turn before the lethal damage is dealt and also in response to the lethal damage (since in the crazy world of Magic, effects happen before their causes).

Regeneration shields can be applied while an effect that would deal lethal damage is on the stack, but once that effect resolves the damage is dealt as part of that effect and there is no opportunity to resolve any other abilities before static effects are checked and the creature is destroyed by the lethal damage. Specifically, there is no damage prevention step as there used to be way back the mists of history.

To clarify, if I cast Lightning Bolt at your Grizzly Bears, you can respond to the Lightning Bolt by using an ability that regenerates the bears, and they will survive. If you allow the Lightning Bolt to resolve without having regenerated the bears, they're dead with no further opportunities to save them.

Under current rules, combat damage is assigned and dealt simultaneously, so you must regenerate a creature during the Declare Blockers phase (after blockers are actually declared) at the latest in order for it to survive otherwise-lethal combat damage. (Under 6th through 10th edition rules, damage was assigned, and this put an effect on the stack that would apply the damage when it resolved, allowing creatures to leave the battlefield but still deal damage, or to be regenerated after exact damage assignments.)

Duels of the Planeswalkers is kind of wacky, in that the UI for doing things at certain steps is poor, and the rules it implements are somewhere in between 10th and M10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Duels of the Planeswalkers is kind of wacky, in that the UI for doing things at certain steps is poor, and the rules it implements are somewhere in between 10th and M10.

Oh? Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. In that case, obviously I should not use it as "the" rules reference as such?
It's a bit of a problem when a friend and me seem to be the only people around that want to play the game Face to Face. Both noobs, so we often struggle with the rules and come to an agreement, but this computer versions seems to do stuff differently.

Anyway, thanks all for the replies and info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Beaumont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this as well, and it isn't that you can't do the abilities/cast instants, its that it gives you very little time to do it.

It is hard to get the hang of, and I've lost a couple games to this issue.

There is a chance after declaring attackers and after declaring blockers to cast instants and use abilities. You can see when this is because the instant cards in your hand will outline in blue. The creatures on your battlefield that have abilities that can be used will be outlined in orange.

More importantly, there is a button that becomes active on the bottom of the screen that says "STOP TIMER". If you click this then you will stop the very short time span that the game gives you to cast instants... but beware, as soon as to complete an instant the timer will start again, so you have to either click the stop button or click the card/ability you want to use quickly.

Once the "damage" phase begins, it is too late.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Indeed, that's probably what went wrong in the case I describe above. Thanks.

I've been improving lately, cleared all decks till the expansion set.

BTW Note that the spacebar acts as a "stop timer" button as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Beaumont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokke wrote:
BTW Note that the spacebar acts as a "stop timer" button as well.

Awesome! I did not know that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duels of the Planeswalkers uses a simplified version of the MtG rules. So it doesn't always work exactly like actual games do. It's more intended to be a quick and easy way to play Magic. They get that streamlined system by cutting a few of the more technical corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.