United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
How to Play Invades On Board Games!

Ryan Sturm has sent us this episode of the How To Play podcast. Once you've checked out our latest shows, you can find the rest of the How to Play podcasts at http://ryansturm.libsyn.com/

There is good content over on his feed, even if he does have an unhealthy fascination with Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks again for the opportunity to jump in your feed Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"normally scheduled" almost made me laugh laugh

Nice episode Ryan. I'm the guy in our group who always reads the rules and teach every one else how to play new games. I have the ability to get the game from only reading through the rules once, at least with most games. During our first game I do refer to the rules on setup (correct amounts etc.) and usually 1-3 times during the game.

People like it when I teach the game because I make it make sense. I go over the rules in a specific order. Usually I start with the goal of the game and what players must do to win: "To win the game you need the most points at the end, these things give you points". Then I usually give an overview of how the game works and then I go into detail of a player's turn and explain things in relation to the player's actions. My most famous (or infamous) line when teaching is "We'll get to that" because people are asking about things I'm planning on talking about later. If I start talking about various things here and there people will have a hard time following. If I have taught the game multiple times I know what people tend to misunderstand or mix up and so I pay extra attention on making sure people get these things. During the game I just let people ask questions, I really prefer open games where there are no hidden information so it's easy for people to ask about anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
"normally scheduled" almost made me laugh laugh

Ha! Though we have done much better over the past few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanSturm wrote:

Thanks again for the opportunity to jump in your feed Don

Any time Ryan! If you ever have a segment you'd like to drop into our normal shows, let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.