Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
zigfromsa wrote:
REAL engineer (ie. a licensed one)

Engineers have to be licensed in Canada?

Non software engineers, yes. You apply for a professional engineer designation after 4 years of engineering related work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
United States
redondo beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news that Codito are planning on a Universal app for Ra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Weinstein
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off topic, but:

Engineers may also be licensed in the U.S. as Professional Engineers (P.E.). Most engineers do not get a P.E. license, but it is required in order to sign off in certain classic areas of engineering such as the building of power plants and bridges.

I would suspect that many, if not most, engineers in the U.S. take the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) exam in college. But, again, only a small percentage take a P.E. exam which would be given after practicing a set amount of years under the guidance or supervision of a P.E. Each state governs the licensing of P.E.'s, and the test varies depending upon the area of expertise. Some states may not even offer P.E. licenses in your specialty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziggi W
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly varies, here in Ontario you need to be able to prove at minimum 4 yrs of work under a licensed engineer. Although you're absolutely correct, only about half bother to get the license. Mostly b/c it looks nice but you only need it to certify work (ie. take the blame if something goes wrong)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Keown
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for iPad beta testers I will gladly offer my services. Anything I can do to promote more great games on these wonderful devices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw Morris
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As one of the critics of codico earlier in this thread, I'd like to state that the latest version is much more stable and perfectly playable. I'm looking forward to more releases - especially Ra - in the hope that codico has learned from his experience. (Although I'm sure he'll understand if I wait on the reviews before buying!)

I have gone back to the app store and raised my rating from 1 to 4 stars. I encourage everybody else who had a problem and gave it a bad review to go back and do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mayhew
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salmacis wrote:
I have gone back to the app store and raised my rating from 1 to 4 stars. I encourage everybody else who had a problem and gave it a bad review to go back and do the same.

No can do. I already deleted the app and got my money back. My problem with Condito isn't necessarily the buggy app, which they did resolve, eventually, but their initial lack of communication towards customers. Many weeks later, I received an e-mail with an apology for them not responding earlier, claiming they were dealing with a huge spam influx. Well, then you should set up the support website (linked to on the App store page!) better. Even now, they mostly communicate through BGG even though we are not their only source of customers.

I implore Condito to communicate better through your website that you link to on the App store page. I have given up on Medici (especially since Apple doesn't give a full refund). I might try Ra and see how that goes.

I do think that they've communicated well through these pages, but I do recommend Condito to use their website more intensively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for folks still following this thread: the latest update for Medici was released by Apple tonight, and it seems flawless. They added some graphical improvements, and I can't find a single bug anywhere. It really is top notch work, and I think they deserve major props for making sure they satisfied every expectation for a perfect game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Pixie
msg tools
Just tried the latest version as well. Perfection. Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus McRhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Male
badge
Prostitute
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. This release is the one, folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, is ra going to be released Asa non-universal application as well? Its a great way to antagonise people with both devices.

How about making medici universal? Or is this a cash flow thing?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunter
United Kingdom
Newcastle-under-Lyme
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
codito wrote:
Jensen G wrote:
I came on here to ask when Ra is coming (love the board game!) and whether it will have online multiplayer similar to Carcassonne, which I love. If the developers could answer that, would be much appreciated!

Hi Jensen,

Thanks for your interest and feature request. Ra is just about ready for beta testing, so our hope is that it will be available for iPad and iPhone (we're creating a universal app this time) by early October.

Since GameCenter is not supported for iPad or iPhone OS prior to 4.1, we are considering OpenFeint integration for Ra. That may not make it into the 1.0 version, but it is definitely our intention to add online multiplayer to Ra (and Medici) as soon as we can.

Looking forward to bringing one of your favorite board games to your iDevice soon!

There you go Bruce your question already answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Keown
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about this too. I've bought a lot of iPhone version apps at half the price merely because the functionality is the same and they still look good. I really don't understand why so many developers are releasing different apps at different prices. Nor do I understand why iPad users would buy the more expensive one if the functionality is the same. Also since I plan on buying an iPhone at some point I do not want to buy apps twice.

I've been holding off on buying Medici because I have yet to discover if the functionality is the same or not. Anyone with details? Anyone with an explanation on the price difference? Anyone with a spare iPhone they want to give me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
idmonfish wrote:

There you go Bruce your question already answered.

ONe of my questions, perhaps not the most pertinent one given Ra doesn't exist yet.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Codito Development
Canada
flag msg tools
publisher
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/steampunk-rally
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, Ra will be a universal app. And we will be sending it to beta testers starting tomorrow, so we're hopeful that it will be available by mid-October.

Currently Medici for iPhone and iPad have pretty much the same functionality, but we wanted to keep the door open to offer different functionality and different price points.

Also, anyone who has run the iPhone version on their iPad and compared with the true iPad version will tell you that upscaled graphics don't look anywhere near as good. The iPad offers a richer visual experience and the prospect of a "real" table top board game experience. We think this is worth a few extra dollars, and the larger marketplace seems to share that opinion.

The big question for us is will customers with "only" an iPhone / iPod Touch pay the higher price for a universal app? From a business perspective, we felt that offering a lower price point for the smaller device might lead to more sales overall.

Keep in mind that there are still something like 15x as many iPhones + iPods as there are iPads (see the latest numbers) so that's a pretty huge customer base we might be turning off.

We're hoping that Ra will be considered "worth the price" because it's a very popular title, but the reality is that almost everyone selling apps on the App Store is participating in a big experiment still!

As always, we're happy to hear your thoughts on the subject...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Davis
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, as someone who owns both devices, I don't mind paying more for the iPad version nearly as much as I mind paying again for the iPhone version if I want to play it on both.

My preference would be for there to be two versions:
- iPhone only, cheaper
- Universal, more expensive

That lets the iPhone-only folks get a price point that works for them.

In situations where the first release of a game is iPhone-only, I suggest that early purchasers get upgraded to the Universal version when that's ready (at which point the price can be raised), and then a new iPhone-only release made at the old price for those folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Codito Development
Canada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
ckdckd wrote:
Personally, as someone who owns both devices, I don't mind paying more for the iPad version nearly as much as I mind paying again for the iPhone version if I want to play it on both.

My preference would be for there to be two versions:
- iPhone only, cheaper
- Universal, more expensive

That lets the iPhone-only folks get a price point that works for them.

In situations where the first release of a game is iPhone-only, I suggest that early purchasers get upgraded to the Universal version when that's ready (at which point the price can be raised), and then a new iPhone-only release made at the old price for those folks.

Yes, that's the scheme we think we're settling on too.

For Medici at this point we'd either have to have 3 versions (!) or update the iPad version to be the universal app. We're debating on that one.

But Ra and everything from here on can almost certainly be universal first and then a cheaper iPhone version.

Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noting also that if you update an iPhone version to be happy with the new high-res display in the iphone 4, it'll look just fine on an ipad when scaled up. See Carcassonne for an example of this (and very likely the reason why they're in no particular hurry to create a universal version)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Codito Development
Canada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Noting also that if you update an iPhone version to be happy with the new high-res display in the iphone 4, it'll look just fine on an ipad when scaled up. See Carcassonne for an example of this (and very likely the reason why they're in no particular hurry to create a universal version)

B>

Good point. Who can say what will happen after iOS 4.2 comes out in November and finally unifies the OS on the iPad and the iPhone / iPod? Maybe every app will have to be a universal app after that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Davis
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
codito wrote:
For Medici at this point we'd either have to have 3 versions (!) or update the iPad version to be the universal app. We're debating on that one.

I'd prefer the latter, myself; I don't expect to play Medici on the iPhone that much (I don't play Keltis: Oracle on it very often), but having the option would be nice. (I already have, and love, the iPad version of Medici--and I'm looking forward to Ra.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:

B>

Actually it looked fine as it does now 2X on iPad before they worked on retina graphics. So adding retina didn't improved graphics on ipad it's still the same since initial release.

I think universal is way to go, however, some games may be just too small for iphone though and when that's the case better to just bag that platform altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Keown
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
codito wrote:

Currently Medici for iPhone and iPad have pretty much the same functionality, but we wanted to keep the door open to offer different functionality and different price points.

Pretty much? Can you give specifics?

codito wrote:

also, anyone who has run the iPhone version on their iPad and compared with the true iPad version will tell you that upscaled graphics don't look anywhere near as good. The iPad offers a richer visual experience and the prospect of a "real" table top board game experience. We think this is worth a few extra dollars, and the larger marketplace seems to share that opinion.

Which is the opinion I just don't understand. Take carcasonne for example. Currently only an iPhone app, but looks better than many iPad apps I own. I have yet to find an iPad app that was so different from the iPhone app that I was willing to pay twice as much. I find it hard to believe development costs for the iPad were twice as much as for the iPhone.

codito wrote:

From a business perspective, we felt that offering a lower price point for the smaller device might lead to more sales overall.

I would argue offering a lower price for a universal app would result in the largest number of sales.

codito wrote:

Keep in mind that there are still something like 15x as many iPhones + iPods as there are iPads (see the latest numbers) so that's a pretty huge customer base we might be turning off.

There was an article in our local paper recently that had similar numbers. 90 percent of iPad owners own an iPhone. That's also a pretty big number of people to turn off.

codito wrote:

We're hoping that Ra will be considered "worth the price" because it's a very popular title, but the reality is that almost everyone selling apps on the App Store is participating in a big experiment still!

Totally agree, which is why this debate is taking place. As an iPad owner who only ever hears that the graphics are better I find it a pretty weak argument for spending so much more. Tellme why development costs for the iPad are so much higher and I might consider spending the larger amount.

As always, we're happy to hear your thoughts on the subject...
[/q]
Thank you for developing great games and for being open to user input
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Codito Development
Canada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jonah42 wrote:
codito wrote:

Pretty much? Can you give specifics?

Yes. Right now, the iPad offers a true "table top" experience. If you lay the device flat, the interface adjusts to accommodate player's sitting around the device.

In the future, some or all of our games will offer the Scrabble model of a central iPad "board" with players able to see their "private data" on their iPhone as well.

Jonah42 wrote:

Which is the opinion I just don't understand. Take carcasonne for example. Currently only an iPhone app, but looks better than many iPad apps I own. I have yet to find an iPad app that was so different from the iPhone app that I was willing to pay twice as much. I find it hard to believe development costs for the iPad were twice as much as for the iPhone.

As for the relative development costs, having the larger and smaller version can require almost twice as much time spent creating art assets, plus at least the time to adjust the interface for the two different sizes and aspect ratios. It's not double the time, but it definitely adds significant time, plus of course the added complexity and time spent in testing. And that's just to make the exact same game work on both devices!

The problem with the "twice as much" argument is that there's no way of knowing the relative numbers of sales in advance. The likelihood is still that an iPhone-only app will sell many more copies than an iPad-only app so the total revenue will almost never be twice as much for iPad sales.

Also, in terms of actual money (as opposed to ratios) the difference is usually only a few dollars. That's the real kicker for developers. You could say we make "twice as much" on an iPad app sale, but the reality is that $3 versus $6 actually works out to $1.50 versus $3 once Apple and the license fees have been taken. Still twice as much but $1.50 per unit seems like a pretty paltry revenue to make up for any amount of extra development time.

Then there's the whole "perceived value" issue. The crazy thing about selling anything is that if you price yourself too much cheaper than the competition, the customer perception can actually be that your product isn't as good. Right now, $9.99 seems to be a common price for iPad-only apps and definitely for universal apps. If we offer a game for $4.99 will we be seen as an amazing bargain or will the perception be "there must not be as much to this game, maybe I won't bother."

Anyway, we're not trying to tell any sob stories or anything here, but hopefully it's clear that it's not a simple issue. We're listening to what people have to say, trying to keep an eye on our competitors and the larger market, and then trying to make what seems like the right choices both for our consciences and for our ability to fund new development.

We know you'll let us know if you think we made any wrong choices!

Jonah42 wrote:

codito wrote:

From a business perspective, we felt that offering a lower price point for the smaller device might lead to more sales overall.

I would argue offering a lower price for a universal app would result in the largest number of sales.

You may be right! We're going to try a universal app to start for Ra and we'll see how it goes.

Jonah42 wrote:

Thank you for developing great games and for being open to user input

You're welcome and thanks for your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Codito Development
Canada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
We're thinking about spawning a new thread since this discussion is all over the map (and the subject is getting embarassing )

Anybody have an opinion on whether we should do a single thread about all our games or keep things separated by title?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An announcement geeklist would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.