Subject: Terraforming Engineer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Huang
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
need some confirmation

Does the Terraforming Engineer's "replace"(upgrade) power let you settle two worlds from hand (one new world and one to replace another old world) in one turn? since it says "in addition" to any settle action

If I have both Improved Logistics and Terrafroming Engineer, I can settle?
(a) two new worlds and two upgrades
(b) two new worlds and one upgrade
(c) one new world and one upgrade
(d) two upgrades

One more thing not about the rule. After a couple of plays, my group feel that the prestige leader may cause the "runaway leader" problem. Some cards can provide steady prestige income, (get one prestige while producing, get one prestige after developing, etc.). If they are played very early in the game, the leader doesn't need to spend much effort to maintain the leading position. Then it makes a huge card/vp advantage throughout the game, often resulting in a lopsided win. Opponents all feel so frustrated. Our group have very much experience in RftG+TGS+RvI expansion, about 50 games of BoW expansion. Perhaps it's just because we still do not have enough experience in this expansion. I also read some articles on this forum saying that the prestige is too powerful. I will definitely give this game more tries to find out some possible ways to overcome that kind of situation. Right now I am also thinking the prestige (easy/steady prestige income) is really really powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to your first question is (b). Terraforming Engineers' specifically says it cannot be combined with other settle powers, so you cannot use Improved Logistics' power on Terraforming Engineers' power. Maximum one upgrade per settle phase.

In response to your concern about the power of prestige, yes an early Uplift Gene Breeders or Ravaged Uplift World can be very powerful but both of these cards' cost/VP ratio is skewed to account for this. Also, when your group gets used to the power of the prestige lead, they will be aiming to counteract it. For example, if someone plays Ravaged Uplift World early I will attempt to find 'X' worlds so they no longer get the benefit. Or in the case of Uplift Gene Breeders I would be tempted to set up a powerful produce leech (with Black Hole Miners or Pan-Galactic Research, for example). The downside to gaining immense benefit in a particular phase is that your role selection is predictable and your opponents can plan for it.

I would say early prestige lead is strong, but no stronger than an early Alien Robot Sentry trade or multiple cheap development discounters or Devolved Uplift Race with the Blue/Brown, Production, and Uplift goals out. It just seems inappropriately strong now because you are not used to it. Prestige is an integral part of the game now and you have to incorporate it into your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
hcy1 wrote:
If I have both Improved Logistics and Terrafroming Engineer, I can settle?
(b) two new worlds and one upgrade

Terraforming Engineer does not interact with *any* other Settle power, including Improved Logistics.

Also note that neither of the two newly placed worlds can be upgraded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to add another question about Terraforming Engineers. Can you decide not to Settle a world, but just replace a world instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will note the one prestige generator I feel is undercosted is Pan-Galactic Security Council. It comes with a prestige and generates prestige every consume phase at a cost of only two cards (one of which is generally cycled as the prestige bonus). For cost 1 it seems very good compared to, say, Gambling World, or even Trading Outpost. It is even better in takeover games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crushedguava wrote:
I want to add another question about Terraforming Engineers. Can you decide not to Settle a world, but just replace a world instead?

Yes, since it is "in addition to any Settle action", not "after placing a world".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
crushedguava wrote:

Yes. From the rules, page 12, "This is in addition to any Settle action its owner might take." Note the use of "might"; its owner is not required to settle a world in order to use TE's replace power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
crushedguava wrote:

Yes. From the rules, page 12, "This is in addition to any Settle action its owner might take." Note the use of "might"; its owner is not required to settle a world in order to use TE's replace power.

Thanks Tom. I had a good look at that particular sentence and couldn't decide for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Huang
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you for all the replies.
very clear and also very fast.
really nice to see the designer answer the questions on the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I would like to add another question. When we originally read TE we interpreted Kind to mean same color and same property. This meant that there was a total of 9 "kinds" of worlds. The 4 colors X2 for production and windfall as well as gray.

After looking in the rule book it seems to imply that all that matters is the same color ie a production world can be upgraded to to a windfall world as long as all other restrictions are meant.

Even playing with production and windfall aren't the same kind it still is an incredibly powerful card when we play it though I do want to make sure we're playing it right (or we do play it right in the future)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
I would like to add another question. When we originally read TE we interpreted Kind to mean same color and same property. This meant that there was a total of 9 "kinds" of worlds. The 4 colors X2 for production and windfall as well as gray.

After looking in the rule book it seems to imply that all that matters is the same color ie a production world can be upgraded to to a windfall world as long as all other restrictions are meant.

Even playing with production and windfall aren't the same kind it still is an incredibly powerful card when we play it though I do want to make sure we're playing it right (or we do play it right in the future)

Production versus windfall does not matter. Only color, and for this card only, grey is a 5th kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that Keldon's AI does not allow the correct implementation of Terraforming Engineers.

I just settled Destroyed World (Rare Windfall, cost 1, vp 0) and hoped to replace it with Comet Zone (rare production, cost 3, vp 2)

The AI skipped the phase entirely as if I had no matches.

To clarify this situation, I ask: Can you upgrade a world that you settled within the same settle phase? I would believe so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Børge N
Norway
Porsgrunn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluebehir wrote:
To clarify this situation, I ask: Can you upgrade a world that you settled within the same settle phase? I would believe so.

No, you cannot.
Brink of War rules, Card Powers description wrote:
This power cannot target a newly placed world nor be combined with any other Settle powers (or bonuses).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.