Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald, Scott, Erik, and Giles talk about building relationships with game companies.

Erik reviews Mercenary Air Squadron
Jonathan Bishop reviews the iPhone version of Carcassonne

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=628094

Web Site: http://onboardgames.net/
RSS Feed:http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say that I really liked the interview with Giles this time and that the roundtable was less interesting. If you want to get involved in the industry like for example Giles is then this was probably very useful for you, were I live it's really hard to find people interested in playing so arranging anything is difficult. If you're a designer I believe this is not really the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
I must say that I really liked the interview with Giles this time and that the roundtable was less interesting. If you want to get involved in the industry like for example Giles is then this was probably very useful for you, were I live it's really hard to find people interested in playing so arranging anything is difficult. If you're a designer I believe this is not really the way to go.

Good point!

These activities are not all focused on the up-and-coming game designer as much as anyone who just wants to get more exposure to the people working at a game company. Still, I don't think there is anything in here that would be counter-indicated for a designer - in other words it couldn't hurt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it doesn't hurt if you have the time. Right now I'm struggling to find time to work on my games. As a designer I think it's more important to spend time working on your games then doing stuff for publishers. I found it to be quite easy to talk to publishers at conventions and showing them your games. The bigger ones like Mayfair don't talk to unknown designers but there are plenty of medium sized ones looking for good games to publish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
I must say that I really liked the interview with Giles this time and that the roundtable was less interesting.
And my favorite part was the out-takes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Awakening wrote:
I must say that I really liked the interview with Giles this time and that the roundtable was less interesting.
And my favorite part was the out-takes.

Oh yeah, I haven't listened to the whole episode yet. Thanks for reminding me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
Oh yeah, I haven't listened to the whole episode yet. Thanks for reminding me.
Apparently you are the only one who's started listening to it, even though 800 people have downloaded it already. (Edit to add - I say this because you are the only one who's posted about it!)

That's what I get for not posting it on a Sunday, people may not even know they've downloaded it until next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have your RSS feed on my iGoogle page and I've also subscribed to all the OBG forums and since I check both pages a few times per day, usually, I don't miss a new episode. Might not have the time to listen to it right away though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott wrote:

Mayfair has been interesting, ...has not been reaching out with support to get me to look at their products, as compared with other companies."

(OK, he didn't write it, he said it in this episode.)

Well, Mayfair is basically bankrolling the Pulp Gamer Media Network, which includes their "Game Kennel" podcasts that are audio overviews of their games, as well as "White Glove Movies", which are video presentations of games as demonstrated by "Glover", a disembodied, white-gloved hand. (Their White Glove overview of The Downfall of Pompeii is pretty entertaining. :-) )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved the out-takes! Eric, you'd fit right in in Australia, as convincing as my American Accent! laugh

Keep up the i-Device reviews! The Carcassonne one was good - and even though I don't own an i-Device I found it interesting.

Cheers,

Giles.

Edit: Thanks Magnus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Giles,

I think I see the beginning of a TV show here, he's an Aussie teacher with a bad American accent and he's an American businessman with a bad Australian accent.

Together they FIGHT CRIME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
daw65 wrote:
Well, Mayfair is basically bankrolling the ...

I hope Mayfair is getting their money's worth out of the Pulp Gamer guys. When it began to sound like all of their stuff was advertising (instead of content) I pretty much quit listening to them, which is a shame because they have very good sound quality.

Mayfair has also been sending me games to review for On Board Games. Not everything they send me gets covered, but they just sent me a copy of Settlers of America: Trails to Rails that I can't wait to get onto the table and into a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.