Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Medieval» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions on Naval Transport, Deus ex Machina, Mongol invasion, Tiebreak rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this for the first time yesterday, and we enjoyed it. We had a few questions that we couldn't come to a clear resolution. Any help would be appreciated so that we can play the game correctly next time.

1. Are people allowed to use naval transport across map cards that are not yet displayed? We had a situation where Venice wanted to attack France around the boot of Italy, but card 3B wasn't in play yet. We ruled that the transports couldn't get there.

2. When Deus ex Machina is used to cancel a Change of Ruler, Assassin, Heresy, or Disaster card, does it have to be played before the roll, or is it legal to see if you're the target, and then cancel it?

3. When selecting a target for the Mongol invasion, we were confused about the term "easternmost." Is a card "easternmost" if it's the furthest east in its row, even if it there are further east cards in other rows? For instance, if 1F is in play, but 3F is not, is 3D a legal choice for target of the Mongols?

4. Is there a tiebreaker? I couldn't find one, but wondered if there was a common one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiger tiger
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Unitoch wrote:
We played this for the first time yesterday, and we enjoyed it. We had a few questions that we couldn't come to a clear resolution. Any help would be appreciated so that we can play the game correctly next time.

1. Are people allowed to use naval transport across map cards that are not yet displayed? We had a situation where Venice wanted to attack France around the boot of Italy, but card 3B wasn't in play yet. We ruled that the transports couldn't get there.

Map cards not yet drawn in effect do not exist yet.

Quote:

2. When Deus ex Machina is used to cancel a Change of Ruler, Assassin, Heresy, or Disaster card, does it have to be played before the roll, or is it legal to see if you're the target, and then cancel it?

Must be played before any rolls. No card can be played after dice are rolled.
Quote:

3. When selecting a target for the Mongol invasion, we were confused about the term "easternmost." Is a card "easternmost" if it's the furthest east in its row, even if it there are further east cards in other rows? For instance, if 1F is in play, but 3F is not, is 3D a legal choice for target of the Mongols?

The easternmost edge is the open unobstructed east edge of the map. To be easternmost, the edge has to be completely unobstructed by another played card directly east of it. Also, if a map card is drawn that would be east and adjacent of a destroyed card, that drawn card is out of the game.
Quote:

4. Is there a tiebreaker? I couldn't find one, but wondered if there was a common one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

No tiebreaker. Of the games I've played have never needed one. But if you must, the one that makes most sense to me would be player with most florins.

If you haven't, be sure to download the living rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for answering my questions. I was despairing of ever getting an answer when your post showed up.

The living rules definitely do help, and I have downloaded them already.

tiger_tiger wrote:
Unitoch wrote:

The easternmost edge is the open unobstructed east edge of the map. To be easternmost, the edge has to be completely unobstructed by another played card directly east of it. Also, if a map card is drawn that would be east and adjacent of a destroyed card, that drawn card is out of the game.

To clarify on this point, it sounds like choosing 3D would be a legal choice for invasion if 1F is out there, so long as 3F is not out there as well. For visual reference, here's a picture that shows the layout of the map cards (imagine 3F wasn't out there for my example):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiger tiger
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Checking back to see how I got GG, thanks!

First only cards with a Mongol Defense Rating can be attacked. Second check the east edge of the card you want to attack, if there are no cards east of it, checking the area directly east from the top of the card down to the bottom, mongols can attack it. Regardless if some cards have not come out yet.

So you can attack 1C, if 1D, 1E,1F, and 2F are not in existence. 3F and other "easterly" cards can be in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.