Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Asmussen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit that I am quite confused about how this card's ability works. From what is in the rule book, it is obvious that you wait until everyone has revealed their actions for that round, but what is confusing is how it affects the other players. For example: Player 1 has Psi Chrystal World, Player 2 selects explore, Player 3 selects Develop, Player 4 selects Produce. First of all, does the person who has Psi Chrystal world take part in all these phases as normal? Second of all, say in this situation Player 1 wants to select develop after all the actions are revealed. Would everyone take part in ANOTHER develop phase, or JUST player 1? Of course this scenario could apply to any of the other phases as well.

Can someone make sense to me about the way you play with this world? Thanks so much!

Joel A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With regards to non 2 player advanced games, the rules are really simple.

Everything is entirely as normal, except the Psi Crystal World player sees other players actions before making his action selection. After the PCW player has selected his action, play as you would had PCW not been on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Once the Geek has you, there is no escape...
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really not all that complicated.

The game is played entirely as normal, except Psi Crystal World Guy chooses his phase after everyone else chooses theirs. It goes like this:

1) Every one except Psi Crystal World Guy simultaneously chooses the phase they wish to play.
2) Every one except Psi Crystal World Guy simultaneously reveals their phases.
3) Psi Crystal World Guy chooses and reveals his phase.
4) Play as normal. IE, if there were 2 Develops chosen, only one Develop phase occurs, etc.

2 Player Advanced works a little differently:
1) Opponent chooses two phases while PCW Guy chooses one.
2) Both players simultaneously reveal these phase choices
3) PCW Guy chooses and reveals his 2nd phase.
4) Again, play as normal. IE, if and only if a single player has selected 2 of Develop or Settle, then that respective phase occurs twice.

Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: Haha. I knew I should have checked on the 2PA rules. Oh, well. Fixed. See below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Asmussen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah okay, so steps 1-3 in both cases happen BEFORE the round starts? It's making sense now...Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes, this power takes place during the Round Start step (as listed on the card's power and page 11 of the BoW rules). The only thing that takes place during this step is phase selection and revelation (see the base rules, page 3 or the large Round Summary card, "Round Start"). This player does so after seeing what the other players have chosen. The rest of the round is resolved normally.

The rules for the 2-player version for experienced players are slightly different (this player chooses their second action after seeing both their opponent's actions), as noted under its power description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Boaz
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fixed as per Tom's post.

TheMadVulcan wrote:
2 Player Advanced works a little differently:
1) Opponent chooses both phases while PCW Guy simultaneously chooses one phase.
2) Both players reveal their chosen phases.
3) PCW Guy chooses and reveals his second phase.
4) Again, play as normal. IE, if and only if a single player has selected 2 of Develop or Settle, then that respective phase occurs twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some additional stuff for posterity, from the middle of PBF#21:

Tom Lehmann wrote:
NtNScissors wrote:
Tom, that's not what you thumbed previously. Can I confirm that, contrary to the MadVulcan post I linked to, the Psi-Crystal player doesn't reveal when the non-PCW player does, but chooses the second phase and then reveals both together?

So, I queried Wei-Hwa on this fine point (since I've apparently issued contradictory rulings) and he noted that trying to hide which action one chose first IRL would involve choosing the second action, then shuffling the two cards around to hide which one was chosen first, and then revealing both of them. That seems like a lot more effort for relatively small benefit. So, I'm going to reverse what I stated above and say that, in fact, you do get the knowledge of what phase was chosen first and that no bug exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.