Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The sounds of nature are the backdrop for this episode.

Scott, Cathy, and Donald talk about out of game influences that impact game play.

Ryan (of the How to Play podcast), Derek, Scott, and Donald, talk about auctions in games.

Erik reviews Automobile.

http://onboardgames.net/
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
What outside influences have you noticed impacting game play?

"Couples Issues" goes further than married and romantically involved couples. When I was in high school a couple of buddies would always have an iron-clad alliance in whatever game they played, so in everything from Diplomacy to Cosmic Encounters they'd have a serious advantage and always try to work it out so they'd win as a pair. If it wasn't so tough to fill the table we would have quit playing with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Truly this roundtable topic couldn't have been more timely! Because PTS was a major factor in my gaming last night. I was playing with our usual casual group - which is 2 couples (Charlie & Steven, and my partner Scott and I). And both games we played involved confrontation.

First we learned Tigris & Euphrates, a first for Scott and I. Clearly conflict was a major part of the game. I think that generally we weren't playing favorites - given a choice we would target the perceived leader at the moment. But I did feel a bit beaten down, as I lost every conflict but one because I was being attacked without the right tiles in hand. Eventually Charlie won by a hair.

Next I taught everyone The Downfall of Pompeii. This time you could see vengeance being a factor - Charlie's people were often the first tossed into the volcano! But fate wanted to balance things out, so he drew nearly every Omen card. Where you really saw the couple dynamic come into play was during the second phase. Although I was OK killing a few of Scott's people with lava (because it was on squares with a bevy of people), as the game went on I could tell I was going to do better than he would regardless of his actions. So I started playing a little nice, not blocking off his only escape routes so he had a fair shake to compete. Unfortunately fate was against him and he kept drawing lava tiles that would only hurt himself. I did end up winning.

That actually leads me to a criticism of the latter game - I think it can be too apparent when playing with 4 players who is going to win, and in fact it may be a foregone conclusion several rounds before the game actually ends. I think I'm going to stick with playing this one 2 player for now - it feels more strategic.

Side note - Erik, you really made me groan out loud with the "drive away" pun in your Automobile review! But you piqued my interest in the game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, forgot one more thought I had.

If you're part of a gaming couple and worried that you aren't prepared to be nasty to each other, the best way to prepare is to play 2-person games that involve direct conflict. That "toughens you up" so get used to attacking each other in the context of the game and not allowing your feelings to get hurt.

Scott and I definitely had to build up to that, but I think we're in a good place now. Several games of Jambo and Gloom made us comfortable with "take that" mechanics. In fact, we tried Babel for the first time on Saturday and Scott mercilessly destroyed my temples, giving him a huge win (17-4).

And when you're ready to kiss and make-up, nothing is better than a good cooperative game, like Pandemic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
If you're part of a gaming couple and worried that you aren't prepared to be nasty to each other, the best way to prepare is to play 2-person games that involve direct conflict. That "toughens you up" so get used to attacking each other in the context of the game and not allowing your feelings to get hurt.

Playing some "warm up" games like that is a great idea. Perhaps by acclimatizing themselves to the idea that "this is the way the game was designed to be played and this has nothing to do with us personally" thin-skinned players might be able to build up some resistance to hurt feelings.

I think sidestepped the whole problem by encouraging Connie to stab me, and then obviously reveling in it when it happened. Being a good (and entertaining) victim is a great way to show that these kinds of in-game action shouldn't cause personal bitterness.

There have been games where being stabbed has turned into drama club, but in a way done to entertain, not to point the finger and stir up bitterness. Imagine the accent of your choice for an exclamation of "you got me, I'm done for!" or an impersonation of the Donkey saying "You cut me, you cut me real deep." It helps me blow off steam when being attacked and releases the stress that builds up when attacks like that happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
Side note - Erik, you really made me groan out loud with the "drive away" pun in your Automobile review! But you piqued my interest in the game as well.

I live to serve. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
What outside influences have you noticed impacting game play?

As Jason mentioned, we often see someone getting targeted because they won the prior game, or they've "won their share of games already." In fact, we will often end our game nights reviewing who won the most/least games (giving someone the title "grand loser" is always a treat.) One time we had a game night with friends where, upon review, I had won every single game (and we're talking like 6 different games.) It was then decided that we had time for one more game so that they could all dogpile on me.

As for the "couples issues," it has been an 11-year-long struggle with Rikki. She has certainly improved her attitude, and puts a lot less emotion into a game, but there are still times when she has trouble separating her personal feelings from the game. I've tried a lot of the methods you talk about to get her comfortable with it, in fact our mantra has been "it's just a game, it's just a game." But I think there are just certain people whose personalities will never allow them to completely detach emotions from a game. When someone goes out of their way to deliberately hurt someone else, despite the fact that it is of no benefit to them, Rikki cannot understand it. This is why I lean towards games that are light on direct conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...Hollywood Shuffle, I'm guessing Scott actually has played it and that's why the name came to mind. It seems like one of the games that would have come out in "Scott's weird stuff." In fact I reviewed it back in Episode 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayrk wrote:
I live to serve. devil

Live to swerve more likely... I've seen you drive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not listened to the podcast yet, but I'll will soon.

Anyway, I'm the type of guy who want players to do things that helps themselves and hurt those who are in the lead. We never have a problem with people always teaming up but there are those who are good at manipulating others to do what they want. People also tend to do things to hurt me, even when the game is not going so well for me, because I often win games. I also have an arch rival, we are the two best gamers in my group, and he usually do things to hurt me directly. It's actually not a bad strategy for him as I'm his biggest threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...Hollywood Shuffle, I'm guessing Scott actually has played it and that's why the name came to mind. It seems like one of the games that would have come out in "Scott's weird stuff." In fact I reviewed it back in Episode 18.
You reviewed games? No way! What show was that on...

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Blott wrote:
You reviewed games? No way! What show was that on...

whistle

Ouch blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wieman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The metagaming discussion was a great one...and tantalizing, because it just scratches the surface of the whole topic of social contracts in gaming (the famous "lost episode" topic). I feel like books could be written on this.

But I wanted to bring up the auction game discussion. Which was great, but if anything seemed too short (though I suspect Donald cleverly keeps us wanting more this way.)

The analysis of auctions as a game mechanic and their social aspect was great, but I was surprised that when people were casting about for other kinds of auctions, no one mentioned Conspiracy, which has a sealed bid-auction comparison system which operates a bit like a Vickrey or "second-price" auction (though not the same -- almost a second-price auction of information about your bid, rather than the actual bid).

More recently, I would have thougth someone would bring up the Cheapass "attrition" auction, in which everyone who bids loses the amount they bid. (Probably not unique to them, but it appears in several Cheapass games, including Ben Hvrt; Bleeding Sherwood is entirely an auction game built around this mechanic.)

The attrition auction reminds me of a simple combat resolution mechanic, where each side loses an army until only one is left. Hmm...from the right perspective, a Cheapass auction is a combat for resources without an area control scheme. Or such a wargame is an attrition auction _with_ an area control scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Scholeologist wrote:
But I wanted to bring up the auction game discussion. Which was great, but if anything seemed too short (though I suspect Donald cleverly keeps us wanting more this way.)

I'm not that clever!

The truth is we didn't decide to talk about auction games until Ryan mentioned it as we sat down to record. I think he wanted the segment for his Medici game episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JJJJS wrote:
Just found this podcast...great stuff.
Thanks! I'm editing the next episode today.

JJJJS wrote:
We have a guy who, when we're playing a co-op game with a traitor, sometimes plays as if he's the traitor, even if he's not.

My son did that all the time when we were playing a lot of Saboteur, we finally broke him of it by keeping him pinned up with broken torches and other hazards game after game because we couldn't trust him. He eventually learned to play the game in the spirit it was intended.

JJJJS wrote:
Two of my daughters (ages 9 and 6) gang up on me when we play Small World. But they do it in a strange way. They'll agree beforehand that one will attack me mercilessly while the other goes for the win. It's as cute as it is evil.
My kid always encourages whomever we are playing with to go after me, and that makes the games a lot more interesting. But they don't take turns winning, he usually sets himself up to be the best off after the smoke clears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
I'm editing the next episode today.

I'm looking forward to that one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:
I'm editing the next episode today.

I'm looking forward to that one

Homework trauma kept me from completing the episode last night. It will be done and posted today or tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.