Subject: Ellen how to use ability ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellen - Special Ability (Chain of Forbidden Curse)
Once during the game, this can be used at the start of your turn. After you declare the
use of your special ability, you choose a character. The chosen character will lose his/
her special ability until the end of the game. The character who lost his/her special ability
will not be able to declare the use of/apply the effect of his/her special ability at all.
Ellen’s ability continues even if she dies.

when i reveal my self must i point at player
or declare character name ?

1.if I don't know what is his character

and i point at him at said that i nullified your ability ?

2.i don't know is there werewolf in a game or not but i said I nullified werewolf ability ?

is that right ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You pick a player, and they can no longer use their power, whatever it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Name a player
You name a player.

This makes your ability useful after an early Hermit card. You give Blue a card which says, "I bet you're a Shadow. If so, you take 1 damage!" He takes the damage. Then, on your next turn, you reveal yourself as Ellen, and curse the still-unrevealed Blue. You have just neutralized one of the Shadows before he got to use his power at all.

And if you are really unlucky, the Unknown decided to tell you the truth, but even then, you have let everyone else know that Blue is a Shadow, so the Unknown's power has been mostly neutralized as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril Ronseaux
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I don't know the exact words in the English are, but in French, there are 3 "names" to "powers" :

- special ability : only when revealed, you choose to use or not. nearly all cards.
- "feature" : mandatory, always apply. That's Bryan's, Daniel's, and such.
- special power : optional (you choose to use or not), can use unrevealed. That's Unknown's.

Ellens (a special ability) neutralize a target player's ability. So as David said : you reveal yourself (or are already revealed), you target a PLAYER, that player's character loses his special ability. So Daniel, Bryan, the Unknown, etc. are not affected, and don't need to say they are not affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you

so you target player

not character

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gould
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
The card text (for the English edition, at least) says "character". That's always been the way I've played it. When revealing as Ellen, name the Wight or the Ultra Soul or the Werewolf, etc. In a game where the expansion and the base set are mixed, Ellen would just call for the initial (unofficial ruling); U, V or W if they were unrevealed.

Also, the rules state that Unknown's ability doesn't count as an ability, so it cannot be voided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
In the English instructions I have, on the first page it says, "Note: the use of 'players' and 'characters' are interchangeable." So I'd interpret it as targeting a specific player (red, blue, pink, etc.) rather than a specific character name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Contrary, it seems, to everyone else posting here, we have always played (both face to face and in the play by forum games I run here) that Ellen has to name a Character (NOT player).. be that either one that is already revealed, or one that you think might be in the game. So for example if there are already a number of dead characters and you are hoping the Wight is not in the game you can pre-emptively void the Wight's power!

Despite the slight confusion in the base game rules over the use of player and character, I think the wording in the expansion is much clearer, and specifically I think the description and FAQ regarding Ellen's power make it pretty clear that you choose a character... besides which, playing it this way, I think, is a lot less confrontational than if you turn to a fellow gamer and say "Simon, I'm voiding your power, whatever it may be!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
improvius wrote:
In the English instructions I have, on the first page it says, "Note: the use of 'players' and 'characters' are interchangeable." So I'd interpret it as targeting a specific player (red, blue, pink, etc.) rather than a specific character name.

I missed this section, will need to reread as the character is worded oddly to imply this is not the case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think "player" and "character" can be used interchangeably. Fu-ka's power (move a character's damage marker to 7) also uses the word "character".

But, it causes a lot of problems if read strictly this way: what if the character you choose is not revealed yet? Do they reveal and then take the damage? Can it only be used against revealed characters?

I feel like those questions would be answered specifically in the FAQ if the word "character" were to be interpreted strictly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.