$10.00
c shuford
United States
California
flag msg tools
Perusing the rule boards, I haven't seen this situation discussed yet: It *has* been established that the military bonus from "Fleet" lasts through the Settle phase even after discarding it, applying the bonus toward conquering the world being placed.

I had Fleet in a tableau where it was my only "Imperium" card. An opponent had played Rebel Alliance during the previous Develop phase. I used Fleet to conquer a non-military world during the subsequent Settle phase. The Rebel Alliance opponent then declared a takeover attempt on one of my military worlds. The question was, since the only "Imperium" card in my tableau had been removed, was my tableau then still subject to Rebel Alliances takeover power. We searched the rulebook for language specifying if card "attributes" (not "powers") applied to the end of the phase and could not find any, although I later unearthed a response by Tom Lehmann to another rules query on this board in which he specified: "Powers and *attributes* of a card removed from a tableau persist until the end of that phase..." This would mean that, even if the only card that made my tableau an "Imperium" tableau - and vulnerable to Rebel Alliance's takeover power - was removed from the tableau during the Settle phase and before the takeover attempt was declared, my tableau still retained the "Imperium" attribute from the card and should have thus been vulnerable to the takeover power.

Not finding any rule on "attributes", we played that, since my tableau no longer had an "Imperium" card in it after worlds were settled, it was no longer vulnerable to the Rebel Alliance takeover power once the takeover attempt could be declared. However, it would seem, based on Tom's explanation, that the "Imperium" designation should have applied all the way to the end of the Settle phase, including the takeover resolution step.

Come across this one? Your thoughts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom answered this one when I asked it for RvI:

ICT-Induced Vulnerability Timing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Brink of War rules, page 2:

"The powers and attributes of a card removed from a player's tableau (due it being discarded, replaced, or taken over) *do* persist (for its owner at the start of that phase) until the end of that phase." (original emphasis)

Yes, you were still vulnerable to takeover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
Australia
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit unfair of you Tom, quoting the rules and all......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c shuford
United States
California
flag msg tools
Mid-game, we were checking the "Takeover" sections in both the BoW and RvI rulebooks, as well as the "Card Powers" in the original. Didn't occur to us to check the new "Adding Cards and Goals" section in the beginning.

Thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.