Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
differences between the magazine and the Avalon Hill version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
read page 14 from:

http://grognard.com/zines/sr/spi_no1.pdf

edit: also take a look at page 9, it's been a while since I wrote the article

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitt
Thailand
Chang Mai
flag msg tools
The differences I remember--

a] In the magazine game rules defending units were only Disrupted by an Overrun if they took the retreat. In the SPI box & AH rewrite, any loss or retreat, except an Engaged, Disrupts the defender. I like the mag. rule, it helps the Rus. to hold. [Edit -- The 1st rule, only Disrupt if they take the retreat actually makes more sense. A hasty attack at low odds that causes some loses should not cause the rest of a force to pull in its far-flung flank units, thereby losing ist ZOC. But, if they retreat then they might become disrordered.]
[EDIT 7/9/15 -- I recently saw that there was an errata published in the General soon after the game was in the magazine. It is possible that this change to "Any loss or retreat except an Engaged ..." could have been made in this errata.]

b] AH added RR cut markers & rules. This is OK, but what else can the Cav. Div. do but block the 2 southern RR?

c] In the mag. rules any "unit" stacked with a Motorized Infantry's 2 Reg. would take away the doubling for Div. Integrety. In AH rules it becomes any "part of a Div." breaks integrity. So you can stack the Lehr Reg. (etc.) with them. The Cav. Div. is an interesting question, is it a Div. for this rule?

d] Pay attention to the order in which units are halved, doubled and doulbed again. The mag. did not specify this. SPI boxed & AH does.
. . I always stacked my Pz Div in a certain way to tell me how strong they were. At full strength the 4-10 is on top, after 1 step loss the 2-10 is on top, after 2 step loss a 1-10 is on top, and after 3 step loss the Pz Reg 2-10 (inverted) is on top. Since I played it as double 1st for integrity this meant that with the 4-10 showing it was 16 or 8 (when overrunning), with the 2-10 showing it was 14 or 7, with a 1-10 showing it was 12 or 6, and with the Pz Reg 2-10 showing it was 8 or 4.
. . These can happen for -- Div. Integrity, being behind a river or in rough/forest, being out of supply, and making an Overrun.

e] Pay attention to Mech units on a road crossing a river. Do they make this clear? I'm pretty sure that the last road hex before the river is 1/2 MF, then the river is 2 MF for the Ger., then the next hex is in limbo. Do they make this clear? One might argue that it costs 1 since you are not entering it moving at the road rate on a road. I always played it as 1/2 since only the bridge is out and you already paid 2 MF for that. The difference is very often that last hex of maybe-movement that keeps you from reaching the hex you want to reach.

f] AH left off the Optional rule to make a "Ger. Marginal Victory" be a draw. I always played it that the Ger. needed the 3 cities on the west map edge and the 3 cities/towns in the center. 3 of the 4 including Viazama. 10+5+5+25+10+10 = 65 in minimum For a Ger. victory, plus the 4 for SWF reinf.

g] Oh yes, my friend reminds me; in all the SPI versions the Rus. Armored Div. were a mix of Armored (or Tank) and Mechanized Div. that were drawn sight unseen. They provided 10 of each, but you only used 10 or 11 of them. This was a problem for dishonest players who were tempted to look/cheat. AH replaced the Mechanized symbol on the counters of the Mech Div. with an Armored symbol. The same symbol is on all 20 of these Div. Thus, now there are just 2 types not 3.
. . This is a big change. Before the Rus. player had some Div. that would average 5 CF and never be zero [the Mech], and some that were 30% zeros and averaged 3 CF [the Arm.]. Mix them all together and they are 15% zeros and average 4 CF. Their Inf. were 10% zeros and average 4 DF.
. . Since zeros are a huge problem, the fact that the new "Arm" are 15% zero is a huge turn off. Instead of having some really good Div. to put at critical locations and some really bad Div to put at not-critical ones, they just have some sorta bad Div to put at less critical ones [and the mass of Inf. of course].

This is all I remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.