United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott & Donald on Dexcon & Review deadhand poker
Ryan & Donald on preparing for house cons.
Giles on school game days
Erik’s Homesteaders review
Donald’s Mayfair Games reviews
Witch of Salem
Ablaze
World Without End
Glenn’s Gallery

Thanks to Cameron Pazirandeh and Giles Pritchard for their show IDs.

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/obg_048_events_of_all_kinds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Next episode will have more Erik, so be warned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
About time! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting discussion. Dexcon sounds intriguing, but I think I'd be more comfortable at a house con. I think you and Ryan hit one of the most important tips for attending cons. Putting in the effort to read the rules and learn the games before arriving may seem like too much work for something that is supposed to be fun. However, doing the work ahead of time will make the experience when you get there so much more enjoyable. There's nothing worse than having to spend extra time trying to learn a game on the spot straight from the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great episode! Although I miss the regular roundtable.

Been having a new guy over lately, who owns a lot of games but have no one to play them with. Sadly he's not the best at teaching games and doesn't always know all the rules.

Giles, I'm looking forward to your next segment as I'm interested in knowing about some easy to teach games we could buy for our board game association and use to draw in new members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
Another great episode! Although I miss the regular roundtable.
We have already recorded our next round table, and we just couldn't shut Erik up. er... I mean ... "There should be plenty of Erik to sate your desire.

Awakening wrote:
Been having a new guy over lately, who owns a lot of games but have no one to play them with. Sadly he's not the best at teaching games and doesn't always know all the rules.

Yeah, teaching games is a skill. Heck, teaching anything is a skill. If he speaks English, have him check out the How to Play podcast.

Awakening wrote:
Giles, I'm looking forward to your next segment as I'm interested in knowing about some easy to teach games we could buy for our board game association and use to draw in new members.
Is that what he's covering next time? Excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayrk wrote:
About time! devil

How do I thumb this down? zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Yeah, teaching games is a skill. Heck, teaching anything is a skill. If he speaks English, have him check out the How to Play podcast.

Maybe I will. I think I'm going to listen to it again myself to improve my skills. I have no problem teaching gamers but new people are a bit trickier. There is still the problem of not knowing the rules for a game he is teaching. I can read the rules for a new game one day and teach it the next. I'm a slow reader but I'm damn good at reading board game rules.

Walsfeo wrote:

You did listen to his segment... right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:

You did listen to his segment... right?

um.. yeah... sure I did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald, I'm not sure what your issue with World Without End was. Sure, there's plenty of cards that aren't useful at the end of the game, but since you're only going to use 6 of the 12 options, I didn't find myself actually having to play the useless cards at the end. They were just easy discards. Did you really find that more than half of the possible actions were useless?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:
Donald, I'm not sure what your issue with World Without End was. Sure, there's plenty of cards that aren't useful at the end of the game, but since you're only going to use 6 of the 12 options, I didn't find myself actually having to play the useless cards at the end. They were just easy discards. Did you really find that more than half of the possible actions were useless?

I didn't get to perform six actions the last time through. It seems like, due to card play and the way events played out, out of the last six plays I might have had three useful cards. And I wasn't the only one.

Like I said though, I enjoyed the rest of the game enough I'm willing to play it even with a flawed end-game. Others aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
I didn't get to perform six actions the last time through. It seems like, due to card play and the way events played out, out of the last six plays I might have had three useful cards. And I wasn't the only one.

Like I said though, I enjoyed the rest of the game enough I'm willing to play it even with a flawed end-game. Others aren't.

I've only played it once, and bought it right away. None of us had this problem that I recall. It's been a couple of months and I can't recall the details that would create this problem. But would it not be possible to strategize to avoid said problem, given the fact that you always know exactly what cards you will have to choose from? I guess events could foil certain tactics, but can't much of that be mitigated? It sounded like your criticism was based on the chance that you could get hosed by poor card options, but like you said, everyone has the same cards.
I, for one, appreciated those times in the middle of the game when I could easily eliminate certain cards that didn't fit my strategy. Thus, I'd only have to pick 6 out of maybe 8 beneficial cards--less stressful. On the flip side, it sounds fun to plan ways to ensure ongoing value for the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Scott & Donald on Dexcon & Review deadhand poker

Wow, I was going through my toolbox of card games and found I actually have a copy of Chaos Deadhand Poker. Still in shrink wrap. I'm torn between opening the deck an giving it a try, or maybe finding a worthy cause. I've had the game for at least two and half years, maybe longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.