Dust Tactics» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion Info, Rumours Or Hard Detail Out There? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite ambitious & refreshing of the Dust team & FFG to fully announce 5 expansions down the road from the outset. With this in mind I was wondering if anyone out there had some info or rumours on what the expansions would bring to the game. At the moment it seems like the base set will start you off at a basic level and then the expansions will increase the complexity of the game, which I like. Just as a reminder I have listed the expansions below with some of my own queries.

DUST TACTICS:ARTILLERY STRIK E
“OPERATION CYCLONE"
The first expansion will introduce the powerful artillery robots. With their special weapons,they can strike targets all over the battlefield. You will also find out about command squads, which influence battles with their many abilities.

01. We all know what artillery is but what will the command squads bring to the game?

02. Also will there be any new terrain tiles?

03. How will this far reaching artillery be avoided?

DUST TACTICS: BLUTKREUZ ATTACKS
“OPERATION PAPERCLIP"
This expansion will take you to a terrifying castle at the heart of Germany. The strange creatures dwelling there are not the hospitable kind. This box will contain a complete Axis army and an Allies commando force, as well as new terrain tiles.

04. How will they depict the castle on the large tiles?

05. Do we see the Lab Pets in this one?

06. What will the Commandos bring to the party?

07. Will they be British Commandos?

DUST TACTICS: BATTLE FOR BRITAIN
“OPERATION SEELÖWE"
With this expansion, the battles in the world of Dust start picking up pace! New fast and lethal robots make their appearance. New Axis and Allies technologies create a new generation of soldiers And new heroes join the world of Dust!

08. Ummm maybe British heroes in this one?

09. What are these new robots?

10. What tech are they talking about?

11. What are these new generation of soldiers?

12. Any new terrain tiles?

DUST TACTICS: VRILL INVASION
“OPERATION DOWNFALL"
This expansion brings forth the mysterious Vrills, with a complete ready to play army! You will be getting robots, troops, and some of the most famous heroes of this alien people. It will come with a new campaign and new tiles to create exclusive battlefields!

13. Who are the Vrills?

14. How many Vrill pieces will be in the box?

15. Aliens with heroes?

16. What are these exclusive battlefields?

DUST TACTICS: AIR STRIKE
“OPERATION HARPOON"
The battles of Dust Tactics are not only fought on the ground, but also in the air! This expansion will allow you to play the aircraft provided in the box. These powerful vehicles can ravage the battlefield in one pass But keep away from those anti-aircraft weapons!

17. Will all 3 factions get their air power in this expansion?

18. How many aircraft will there be?

19. Will ther be variants e.g. fighters, bombers & fighter/bombers?

20. What are the anti aircraft pieces?

21. Will the anti aircraft pieces be infantry or vehicle?

22. Any new terrain tiles?

I know I am probably way in advance of hard info here but then I thought? If the expansions have been set out, then surely the info must be out there. I have always been the type of person that wants to know what pudding is even before dinner is served and I make no apology for that but can see how it can annoy, as my Mum and Girlfriend can testify. I also think any expansion released without some game tiles is potentially a wasted opportunity (FFG take note). Even just few keeps the game fresh on the ground. Well I have cast my line out and hopefully there are some big fish in the sea. If nothing else at least this post may get people thinking on what the exapnsions will bring to the game and how it will progress. If I had one last question?

23. How many expansions could people see the Dust team & FFG doing for this game?

Sometimes games can be like movies where they just don't know when to quit. Hopefully Dust will have a good few more expansions beyond the ones announced and they will also know when to call it a day and live with a good product.

24. Additional Q - Will there be a Pacific theatre?
25. Additional Q - Do the Vrills align with a faction or act independently?
26. Additional Q - Will better 3D terrain come along down the road for the game in an expansion or another source, maybe the Dust-models.com model site?

Answers below on best info available.

01. Possibly longer game? Via Officer, Radioman, Mechanic & Medic abilities although these could be to counter balance Artillery?
05. If it follows the book expect biomechanical Apes & Zombies, should also expect to see Markus, Chef & the Professor? Maybe even another Sigrid?
06. Possibly the US special forces mentioned in the book? For more detail see post further down. Maybe even another Joe & more likely Koshka even though Soviet.
07. Confirmed with Anzac's to follow. Which expansion both forces will appear in not positively identified though. Will come under Commonwealth forces.
08. Confirmed with Anzac's to follow. Which expansion both forces will appear in not positively identified though. Will come under Commonwealth forces.
13. Robo-Alien race.
19. Possible RAF fighter bombers?
23. Subjective.
24. Possible Pacific theatre as the Japanese are in the Dust fluff. Speculatively confirmed although I would imagine a lot depends on sales success of previous sets to get to this point on the Dust journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Expansion Info Rumours Or Hard Detail Out There?
A lot of speculation, but it is nice that we at least know for sure that there are going to be expansions. I think that so long as the game is good and people keep having fun with it, there is no reason why we can't expect the expansions to keep coming out for years to come.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vrill are the aliens.
Here is a pic of one:
http://www.dust-game.com/en/wp-content/uploads/hecatoncover....

http://www.dust-game.com/en/wp-content/uploads/hecaton-1.jpg

http://www.kallamity.com/products/view/HE001D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colvin Atchison
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight... selling you a great game one piece at a time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has the right to change the release plan as they see fit btw. There are no guarantees that what was originally planned will see the light of day or come out in the particular order in the back of the rules book. They might even decide to release the Russians sooner than expected. Only time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiSerio
United States
Johnson City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's FFG.

So expect at least 1 year for the first expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the end result of this release will be to provide an awesome set of miniatures to use with another rule system. At present I am leaning towards writing lists for using these figures with the Forge of War ruleset.

After reading the rules published I can't help but remember space crusade. A great game but not one that I play a lot now, except occasionally with drinks. I think that DUST will be a little bit like this, which I guess isn't really a bad thing. It should be a great intro to miniature gaming and FF could prove me wrong with the expansions and the tabletop rules when they are released. It is also good to see a company like FF moving in this direction. I want to see more companies with the money to promote their products and the artists and designers to produce a quality product stepping into the ring with Games Workshop. Dust looks to me like a worthy rival to Warhammer 40K for the new games with a better balance between hobby and game than 40K are currently offering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with this post, 100%. I mean, i'm excited for Dust and have my preorder ready to go. That said, it looks like a good game, with huge production values.

I see this all the time in the video-game industry from which I come. Often (and i've WORKED on titles like this so I have no intention of being a hypocrite) an "ok" game that is polished as hell will catch momentum and be seen as something far greater than it deserves to.

Dust looks ridiculously fun (i've seen it demo'd), but is also a $100 version of what is very nearly Memoir '44. Depth-wise, it doesn't really do much more (less depending on your perspective), and what it does it does slightly more complicated which might make it less successful at being an introduction to the genre for non-gamers.

I don't know... I'm enthused for the release and can't wait to own it... I just don't feel the price, depth, appeal all align in quite the way some on BGG are making it out to be.

bolter wrote:
I think the end result of this release will be to provide an awesome set of miniatures to use with another rule system. At present I am leaning towards writing lists for using these figures with the Forge of War ruleset.

After reading the rules published I can't help but remember space crusade. A great game but not one that I play a lot now, except occasionally with drinks. I think that DUST will be a little bit like this, which I guess isn't really a bad thing. It should be a great intro to miniature gaming and FF could prove me wrong with the expansions and the tabletop rules when they are released. It is also good to see a company like FF moving in this direction. I want to see more companies with the money to promote their products and the artists and designers to produce a quality product stepping into the ring with Games Workshop. Dust looks to me like a worthy rival to Warhammer 40K for the new games with a better balance between hobby and game than 40K are currently offering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cookinjr wrote:

The Vrill look cool, and somewhat Matrix inspired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
A lot of speculation, but it is nice that we at least know for sure that there are going to be expansions. I think that so long as the game is good and people keep having fun with it, there is no reason why we can't expect the expansions to keep coming out for years to come.

D.

Parente has been working towards this for 10 years (his statement), I'm not surprised he has such long range vision for the game.

Regardless of FFG and their other projects, the only things Dust Games/Dust Tactics needs is positive word-of-mouth and steady sales.

Seems like they got the first part right at Gen Con

Will the sales figures justify these expansion plans?...Remains to be proven. Looks good IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam hudson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
WAR, war never changes...
badge
Grab your Pipboy 3000 and be ready to roll.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the Pacific theater? Is there one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiSerio
United States
Johnson City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
What about the Pacific theater? Is there one?

Well there are Japanese.

I saw them in a Art book sold over at the official Dust web site. I think they are under the Reich faction. Different nation belonging t o 1 faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too much info out there yet of course but some little tidbits all the same.

After a much deeper read of the rules. One thing I think the Command squad will bring to the game is a longer game duration. The Medic & Mechanic abilities will see to this. Actually after reading the Command abilities section it looks like the Command squad will put a completely new angle on the game aswell as the artillery.

Some of you may wonder why I want to see British Commandos. It's simple I am British, also I associate the term Commando more with UK forces as during the second World War we simply devloped the formations more so than others and gave birth to a lot of modern day doctrine. On a personal gaming side. I would feel the game more inclusive if there were some British Commandos or a British hero (preferably an English one & male). In truth I would like to see a lot of nationalties represented, something I think a lot of games designers/publishers overlook from a game appeal/marketing point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
colvinatch wrote:
Fantasy Flight... selling you a great game one piece at a time!

I see you would prefer waiting two more years for the game and then pay 2000 dollars for the deluxe set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr.octogoblin wrote:
If you read the first Dust Micro Series published by Dark Horse Comics (its trade paperback is still in print I believe) there is an attack on a German Castle. If BlutKreuz attack is based on this, this is what happens and what might be in the set: It is an attack on the castle by combined forces of Russians and Americans, The castle is hiding an experimental missle (what it was for and what it did, I can't recall), the Germans have intelligent apes, and cyborg, sentient zombies on their side ( the zombies resemble the zombies from the Oni group in AT-43), There is a Hero Character in the Russian army, who is a general and super-model and has romantic feelings for Joe, There is also a French Chef who is a spy for the americans in the castle. His weapon of choice is a flame thrower. If I run into my comics or purchase the trade I will post more info

I am probably wrong on this, but the Vrill are on the side of the Germans if I read or heard correctly. Again I am probably wrong on this.

As I edited this I remember there is also a Native American character. Yeah I am definetly picking up the trade this weekend and will post more later if no one has at that point!

Funnily enough my copy arrived today. Apart from the absolutely fabulous artwork (adults only) it does throw some light on what we could expect. I have detailed some of the more relevant info below. It revolves around an assault on a secret Axis castle laboratory (Reicher Castle) in Slovakia.

Allied Faction
Joseph aka Joe - Comamnder
Talon - Scout (Native American)
Roberi aka Bam Bam - Dem's expert
Jonathan aka Ears - Comm's expert
Douglas aka Scope - Sniper
William aka Chef - Counter espionage (Italian born)
Ranger Troops mounted and on foot
RAF Fighter/Bombers - Resemble WWII RAF Typhoons but with wings reversed

German Faction
Count Oliver Vladimir Zamfiresco - Axis Cmdr Special Op's (no part in book just fluff) LOL just realised this is a take on the game designers name or it is Mr Parente having a subtle joke. Beware the Count is watching!
Prof Stephen Priaprinski - Torture etc
Major Sigrid von Thalar - All round nasty piece of work
Markus - Biomechanical engineered Ape with superior intellect, not totally sure who's side he is on?
Rocket Troopers
Grunt Apes with Hellboy like hands
Zombie Troopers with outrageous power tools
Various officer types
Various Troop types
Axis Helicopter

Soviet-Sino Faction
Someone who looks very much like Joseph Stalin.
Special Forces Officer Koshka Rudinova - Robot pilot etc (only Soviet who has real part in book)
Lt Lilya Kyselko
General Vladimir Kryselko
General Rasputin - Chief Russian Intelligence Officer
Lt Pauline Su - Chinese Imperial Air Force
Colonel Kang - Korean Army
Capt Tokarev - Dem's expert Russiam Marines
KV-47 Tactical Armour
HALO Drop Pods - Dropped by Soviet heavy transport planes
KV-47 Pilots

Hopefully some of the above will shed some light on what we can expect in the castle expansion. It certainly sounds like the expansion will be based around this engagement. From my POV unfotunately no British ground troops (come on Cdo/SAS/SBS/Para types) but there was at least an appearance by the RAF

Anyone out there with info contained in the next 3 comics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr.octogoblin wrote:
J B,

Thanks for the clarification, I am still kicking myself over losing my Dust comics! I had two questions: Are you still going to pick up Dust Tactic? Just wondering after you posted the review of it from FFG. Are you planning on picking up the new Dust comic series?

thanks and take care!

How could you lose that beautiful artwork devil

LOL I bought the next series online a couple of hours ago, although I was told they are not quite as good as the first series, I shall see. Hopefully I will have them mid next week (or maybe sooner) so if nobody posts any general info from them (I was careful not to spoil for a change) I will do so. The comics are quite scarce so if anybody is thinking of buying? I would do it now!

The review on FFG hasn't put me off at this point. If a lot more come in like it, it may make me think twice although I do love the minis and will probably buy it anyway and adapt as required. If it turns out it needs some minor tweaks re squad costing and size of map? I may even buy two just to get around the issue

Cheers!

Chim

P.S. You wouldn't be a friend of Mr Parente would you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Zamfirescu
msg tools
Hi guys, some little answers I can give you now:
- there will be Commonwealth Commandos (British + Anzac forces). We'll probably start with Brits
- the Pacific theater will have our full attention (but don't hold your breath)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olivier Zamfirescu wrote:
Hi guys, some little answers I can give you now:
- there will be Commonwealth Commandos (British + Anzac forces). We'll probably start with Brits
- the Pacific theater will have our full attention (but don't hold your breath)

Wow! The big Russian never saw that one coming and it wasn't expected in a month of Sundays. Many thanks for those tidbits, they warm the cockles of my heart and are good news.

I have to ask! Count Zamfiresco is you isn't it.

One last plea. Please give one of the Commonwealth British Commando's an English male name, his aka can be Chimaera if you like LOL. They always seem to end up with Scottish names and Scotland is a much smaller share of the games market than England

Very pleased to see you on the boards. I am sure it will drive even more interest.

All the best!

Chim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Zamfirescu
msg tools
dr.octogoblin wrote:
clarification please Olivier, but what do you mean " The Pacific theater will have our full attention ( but don't hold your breath)?

thank you

Ok that was cryptic, sorry. The Pacific theater is planned, but we have many places to take you before. So it's a long shot until we get there. We should have Brits Commandos WAY before.

I won't give any date (because I can't) to avoid disappointment.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olivier Zamfirescu wrote:
dr.octogoblin wrote:
clarification please Olivier, but what do you mean " The Pacific theater will have our full attention ( but don't hold your breath)?

thank you

Ok that was cryptic, sorry. The Pacific theater is planned, but we have many places to take you before. So it's a long shot until we get there. We should have Brits Commandos WAY before.

I won't give any date (because I can't) to avoid disappointment.

Cheers!

It sounds like the game has the capacity to encompass all theatres if you/us can get it there. I have to admit I am really excited for the game since your intervention and anticipate it's release even more keenly.

Just for info. The original British Commando's were Army Commandos and the SAS, SBS, Royal Marine Commandos & the Parachute Regiment were all bi-products of the Army Commandos. Unfortunately there are very few Army Commando units left in UK Land Forces although there are a few left - 59 Commando Royal Engineers, 29 Commando Royal Artillery, 49 EOD and a reserve units 131 Commando Royal Engineers and 383 Commando Petroleum Troop RLC although I believe they are all funded via the Navy they are still Army Commando to my knowledge. You may want to do some background checks to get the fluff on par with history.

Well I guess I better get to bed now. I was planning it a few hours back until you popped up. My other half will hate your name in the morning LOL. Maybe I shall paw over my Dust omnibus one last time before closing my eyelids devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On another note Olivier just in case you browse this thread again? Will the game be supported with better 3D terrain & maybe variant poses for the heroes/troops. My thinking here is that you could have a similar set up to GW, where Forgeworld support the game with the more unusual. You could achieve thes via the dust-models.com site I would also ask is the background fluff going to be expanded upon almost like the Black Library supports Warhammer etc. While I appreciate Dust is nowhere near 40k in size, it would be nice to know how the support could potentially grow, if thats allowed under FFG T&C's.

Another thing is that I would ask that you watch for consistency. I hate it when expansions come out with poorer sculpts, different colour plastics or a new colour for the tiles because of a change in printers etc. While I know it's not that big a deal to some, why stir the hornets nest in the beginning. I remember Flying Frog changing the tile colour on LNOE and it caused uproar although to their credit they supplied a very cheap fix. Star Wars minis also springs to mind on how mini production quality can slip from the original release or indeed how they failed to keep sculpt consistency etc.

Just for people wanting this game in the UK. Leisure Games in Finchley, London advised me they have been told by FFG the game is currently shipping, so with any luck the full release will be soon. You may want to get your pre-order in now. On a sad note the chap at Leisure Games advised they would not be shipping the deluxe sets to retail outlets in the UK. Looks like all deluxe sets will be direct only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I read in another post that the deluxe sets would be through the FFG website only.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
I think I read in another post that the deluxe sets would be through the FFG website only.

D.

Yeah I remember that to but I thought if anyone could get a few deluxe sets shipped to the UK it would be Leisure Games. Still better to have tried than not to have tried at all. The guy even checked it out with the suppliers etc, shame though.

I really hope the co-designer Olivier comes back up and gives us a bit more info although I can totally understand the position he is probably in. In truth I never expected one of the designers to comment/contribute to this thread so he was a very pleasant surprise and most welcome. The fact British Commando's are on route has got me buzzing even more. It would be great if they could also get some French resistance fighters, Yugoslav partisans, Polish Free army characters and other nationalities into the game in future expansions to give more variety and to make it more inclusive and give the game greater appeal globally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worse case scenario I am sure someone in the US can get a set and mail it to you or whomever wants one. I'd be happy provided the extra shipping, etc., was all paid for and I wasn't out any money.

I guess we'll just all have to wait and see what happens.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
Worse case scenario I am sure someone in the US can get a set and mail it to you or whomever wants one. I'd be happy provided the extra shipping, etc., was all paid for and I wasn't out any money.

I guess we'll just all have to wait and see what happens.

D.

Thanks for the offer. With any luck FFG will ship to UK & at a sensible price. I will have to wait and see what the overall cost will come to before making a decision.

Come on guys there must be someone out there who has read the next set of comics and can sprinkle some fluff dust over us I am sure the comics will give away some of what we can expect in the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.