Subject: The second ship receives ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I right in thinking that the second (different-coloured) ship on a space only receives things on the "fog" and "face-down-points-tile" spaces, and not on the pre-printed other ones (shells, starfish, cards, face-up points) ?

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the (german) rules, you are right. Nevertheless I've never played it this way. It seems very illogical that placing a second ship would bring you nothing at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Well ... that's how we played it.

All that happens is that people don't play a second ship on those spaces.

Maybe the idea is that it is harder to get to the "good" edge spaces, as only one colour will get you there ?

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think your interpretation is correct. I hadn't noticed the omission and it would have never occurred to me to play that way. The rules don't explicitly say that a second ship takes a reward on those spaces, but it's implied by the general rule (from the unofficial English translation):

"The space on which the ship is placed determines whether the player then carries out an action or receives something."

It doesn't say you may receive nothing. The rules go into greater detail on how to deal with fog and points spaces, which otherwise could raise doubts, but omit information on the second ship on standard spaces. Although it would have been nice to have it clearly stated either way, I guess they would have done so if the second ship did not receive a reward, as this is contrary to how you proceed with the other spaces. Besides, why make an exception to the random points spaces instead of giving the second reward only on fog spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I know, it seems a little odd.

But then, if the second ship always received something, why specify it in a couple of places at all? Why not just say so at the start?

The other thing that might mean we interpreted it correctly is the fact that the two things where the second ship receives something have the same ("foggy") illustration on the back of the tile.

Seems like we need an official answer .....

Edit: I'm trying to get an official answer. I'll post it here if I do.

I noticed a couple of other things: In the pictures posted here so ar, most of the pre-printed spaces only have one ship (means nothing, I know).

Plus ... thematically, I can understand why it could be done the way I have interpreted it: In the fog, you might discover something and sail on, leaving other stuff behind. but in the clear, you would pick everything up and leave nothing for a following ship (?). Might be clutching at straws a little

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
But then, if the second ship always received something, why specify it in a couple of places at all?

Because, as I said, those are places more susceptible to doubts. People might think the fog token was removed by the first ship, as it is usually the case in games with similar mechanics. Or they might think the second ship on a points space got the same number of points as the first, as they are supposed to get the same benefit.

Quote:
Why not just say so at the start?

In a sense, they do. The rules say you play a card to place a ship, which allows you to perform an action (building or placing another ship, I infer) or receive the indicated reward. They don't specify whether it is the first or second ship on a space. It's a general rule for placing ships, no exceptions mentioned.

Quote:
The other thing that might mean we interpreted it correctly is the fact that the two things where the second ship receives something have the same ("foggy") illustration on the back of the tile.

More likely, it just means the rewards are hidden by fog.

Quote:
Seems like we need an official answer .....

That would be ideal, of course, but I would be quite surprised to be proved wrong. I think your supporting evidence, as you yourself seem to acknowledge, is very weak, but I'm still interested in hearing other people's interpretations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rüdiger Dorn
Germany
Nürnberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
hello,

it makes no difference, if the field is pre-printed or not - the second ship always gets that "something" (shells, starfishes, VPs, cards .....) or, if it´s a field with "kran" you have the action to build.

best regards
rüdiger dorn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.