Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Pritchard
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered HP1, mostly because of the 4 new Heroes.
I have my doubts on the Necromancer (not even counting the fact that he doesn't have his own minion sheet, which I think is ridiculous). I don't see how he can possibly scale well depending on the # of Heroes in a game. If a new Walking Dead is popping up every Mystery turn, that is going to be pretty difficult to stop for 2 players and relatively easy for 6. This seems pretty obvious to me, so am I missing something?

I have a fairly basic variant in mind, but I thought I'd see if there's more to this than it appears at face value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth LIVE ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
Gloom of Kilforth LIVE ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
He's definitely hard with 2 players, but not impossible. You shouldn't need to house rule him, at least till you've played him a couple of times.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Sarcasmo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's hard with any number of players, but you're right, nearly impossible with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, he´s hard to beat, that´s for sure.
We had to try over and over again with different heroes (2 players) until we finally were able to take him down.
The funny thing is that we beat him during a "Surprise Showdown"

I guess he got too cocky after winning all the time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Gnu
Taiwan
Tainan
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Karl the Soldier is very effective against Living Dead, as he cancels almost every scored attack of 6 with his special ability. He also can off them from the get-go. My wife and I held our own against the Necromancer, but sadly had to quit before a Showdown. Pretty sure we had it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both times the Necromancer has been beaten, the game has featured either Karl or Adrianna basically camping at Town Hall, fully loaded, ready to unload on the Walking Dead as they march there. Karl usually survives without getting hit with his ability, Adrianna's ability allows her to attack first and possibly kill the WD before it can hit her and should it survive, she can pay 2 Investigation to force it to reroll the 6, unlikely to be hit again (and each WD she kills nets her more Investigation with which to fuel the ability). They usually quickly get up to Pistol + Musket + Silver Shot, then WD goes down in one roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsarcasmo wrote:
He's hard with any number of players, but you're right, nearly impossible with two.

Sorry for bumping this, but when I read the above, I figured I should definitely skip this villain when playing solo with only one hero. Has anyone been suicidal enough to give this a try? If so: care to talk about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmb
Quote:
Sorry for bumping this, but when I read the above, I figured I should definitely skip this villain when playing solo with only one hero. Has anyone been suicidal enough to give this a try? If so: care to talk about it? ;)

I did. And killed him in my very first game, using Adrianna. There were Walking Dead everywhere, it was a nightmare, and I went into the Showdown when the Shadow Track was quite low... but a good Musket and some Silver Shots is all you need: the Necromancer died before even rolling his fight dice (I dealt him 13 Wounds in the first round)!

I'll try him again with another Hero. I always play solo with Lone Heroes (keeps the game shorter)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.