Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » TAS (Hobart)

Subject: Does Tassie need a game store? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Ward
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only "game store" I've seen in Tassie is Socrates. That's not quite the same as a MindGames or other dedicated game stores. Is everyone purchasing online or shopping in Melbourne?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Scholle
Australia
St Ives, 2075
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you've not received a reply yet I thought I'd answer you as best I can. I'm from Sydney, where we have bricks and mortar game stores, and I still use the online stores. The reason is that I don't need to hold a box and read the back before deciding on my purchase. Online resources make it easier and can evaluate better a game over the traditional box artwork and description selling the game in the store. Oh, and online stores are cheaper.

I also buy second hand games from BGG users and on eBay. There's a good selection and the best prices can't be beaten.

So... for my purposes I don't need a game store. However, for the purposes of finding occasional game players and spreading interest in the hobby, the game store can be a good advertisement. It can also turn people off. I know people (neighbours and family mostly), who were interested in trying out some of the games I like to play, and were turned off the hobby by the A$120 price tag of certain games they were interested in. By pointing them to BGG and online stores I've seen their collections grow quite a bit. It seems there's a certain price point for everyone they're willing to spend in order to try out a game. If it turns out to be not to their taste then it's not a terrible disappointment to them to have spent that amount of money. In my case I've bought a lot of games (because I like to try different games out), knowing that I can often sell them again on the BGG marketplace or on eBay and get maybe half of the cost back. Without the marketplace or eBay I would have probably stopped gaming by now. I just wouldn't have bought the variety of games I have. Playing the same old titles would have made gaming seem stale to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
My old friend "Burger", RIP 2005
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a game shop in Liverpool Street called Area 52. It is upstairs inside Ellison Hawker. It has a lot of Games Workshop and CCGs stuff but only a small range of board games and they are relatively expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Birchall's in Launceston had a fair range of Euros when I was there a couple of years ago. A search on their website indicates that you can at least order Settlers and Carcassone from them. No Puerto Rico, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Zilver
Sweden
Uppsala
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for being offT, just got a very heavy nostalgic flash back.
I wish ive gotten to know some Tassie gamers...and i really miss living in Hobart.

But, reading this thread, im (gaming wise) very happy to be back home, where one game store is just across the street from my home and the other 10min walk from here. (and communiting to work in another city, one game store is just on top of the subway station where i transfer to the train home). In many other aspects, I would love to live in Hobart again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.