Hide
4 Posts

Ca$h 'n Gun$: Yakuzas» Forums » Variants

Subject: Make the Yakuzas stronger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austria
flag msg tools
I think the yakuzas will always have some troubles winning the game, or even surving 'til the end.

Also take a look at this post Why the Yakuzas team gets shafted., the author has summed up pretty much the way our gaming group thinks about the yakuzas.

So I started to make some house rules:

1) When using the shuriken you declare your target and hit automatically.

No need to throw the shuriken, but go ahead can if you think it's fun. (But if you throw it, it doesn't matter whether you hit anyone or not)

This is an important change, as if you throw you almost never hit. We always (except for the very first session) played with this rule.

2) The shuriken resolves at the same time as the Bang-Bang-Bang cards.

(Option 1) First the Bang-Bang-Bang cards are revealed. Now the shuriken players can choose their target, even if they have been hit by Bang-Bang-Bang.

(Option 2) First the players with a shuriken reveal their card and choose a target, than the Bang-Bang-Bang cards are revealed.

This is more drastic change, and we haven't play-tested it yet. I'm curious what you think about it. The first option should be an even greater advantage for the yakuzas as they see who is hit by Bang-Bang-Bang and then throw the shurikens. Currently I think the second option might be better.

3) Don't play with uneven teams.

It's not only related to the yakuzas, a team with less players will always have a hard time. The fact that they pay 10.000$ less if someone dies, sounds like a bad joke, and really doesn't compansate that they will always get less money, as each player collects money on his own.
You could rule that a team with less players always takes extra money as if they had an extra player.
If both of the team members would get money, they get money as for three players.
If one of them would get money, they get money as for two players.
If none of them would get money, they get money as for one players.

But I think I like the following rules better:

If you have 7 players don't play in teams, but make rather a deathmatch like in the original Cash'n'Guns. You can use the shotgun as a seventh weapon (just make sure somebody get's the shotgun as a special power).
You could include yakuzas (assign them randomly, or let players choose).
It also comes with an advantage for the yakuzas: if the don't have teammates they always hit an enemy with the tanto (unless they hit themself).

If you have 8 players, play a deathmatch like with 7 players or play with 2 teams.

(option 1) 2 yakuazas and 2 gangsters in each team.
Take seats like this (teams A and B, (Y)akuza and (G)angsta):
#### A(Y) B(Y)
B(G) ######## A(G)
A(G) ######## B(G)
#### B(Y) A(Y)
I guess It would get pretty rough as there is only one player of the other team in between, so the yakuzas might often hit teammates.

(option 2) don't play with yakuzas, only gangsters in each team.
you need an extra gun (or two if you don't include the shotgun).
or use tanto/shuriken but treat them like a gun.

4) Yakuzas don't take wounds if they hide.

The hiding rules for the yakuzas are interesing, but make it really tough for yakuzas to survive.

(option 1) Ignore the special hiding rules, yakuzas can hide just like gangasters.
(option 2) The first time a yakuza hides, or whenever he hides and has no finger marker, he takes a finger marker. Whenever a yakuza hides when he already has a finger marker, he has to choose:
* Either cut of his finger out of shame (take a wound), or
* Send 10.000$ to his master as an apology (take a coward token, wich is worth -10.000$ at the end of the game).

I really like the second option, this way the yakuzas still have special rules and even a slight advantage. They don't pay as much as gansters if they hide an odd number of times, and they get to choose if they can take a wound instead.

5) Last but not least: Improvements for the yakuzas special powers.

* Kamikaze
Kamikaze is really bad, you have to die, and only deal two wounds.
Compare this to the Grenade. You only have to get hit, and deal wounds to every one else (including your teammates, but still you have about double the number of enemies than you have teammates).
Instead I would play the Kamikaze like this:
Once after the players have pointed the guns/tantos at their targets, you may reveal your kamikaze card, you deal one wound to yourself and to each of your neighboors.
(option) After you use kamikaze you can't get other wounds through guns.

* Ninja
The worst thing about the ninja is, that the new targets will be angry that you stood up at targeted them. This variant makes the ninja use his tanto almost like a shuriken (but resolve at the time of Bangs):
The Ninja does't have to reveal himself until he first uses his ability, after he reveals his tanto card he may show his ninja card and choose a new targets. This way the new target doesn't get to see that he is targeted. The ninja card then remains revealed, and can be used again with the second tanto.

* Samurai
The Samurai isn't really any good (just about as bad as Dragon Skin).
(option 1)
After ammunition cards are revealed, the samurai may choose to give up a tanto card to defend himself and not take any wounds, unless he has chosen a shuriken card, but even if he has a Cling card. In this case he just switches the Cling with a remaining Tanto. He may use this ability twice.
(option 2) Whenever he has chosen a tanto card, he doesn't take any wounds, but can still deal a wound.

Please tell me what you think, especially about the numerous options.
You don't have to use all these variants, as I beleave than the yakuzas could even be too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are definitely some interesting ideas that I will have to try out. I really like the option 2 for hiding and I think that does much better to even the playing field.

The one thing I was thinking about in regards to the first two points is that I think the throwing mechanic should still be there. I was thinking you could either have 1.) a miss equal to a B and a hit equal to a BBB in terms of timing or 2.) a miss equal to a BBB and a hit beating a BBB in terms of timing. That why there is still this nice throwing mechanic, but the outcome is much more balanced with the gangsters.

In regards to team numbers, for 7 you could play 3 yakuzas and play with the original rules, for 8 you could play with the uneven team having special powers. I really like the team part of the game so I definitely don't want to miss out when not having 7 or 8 people.

I will have to take a closer look at the special powers before I can make any comments there. Overall great ideas, and I definitely look forward to trying these out next chance I get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
Quote:
The one thing I was thinking about in regards to the first two points is that I think the throwing mechanic should still be there. I was thinking you could either have 1.) a miss equal to a B and a hit equal to a BBB in terms of timing or 2.) a miss equal to a BBB and a hit beating a BBB in terms of timing. That why there is still this nice throwing mechanic, but the outcome is much more balanced with the gangsters.

Your idee for the shuriken throwning sounds great.
We will definitly try this one next time, not sure about the timing now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Evans
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digging up an old thread here, but I was wondering how these ideas have worked out over time? Are you using some or all of the ideas? If I introduce CnG and the expansion all together to a new group of players are they going to get confused?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.