Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have plans to develop the background information and rework the mission steps to make them a bit more varied, maybe add some branching instead of the strongly linear way they are arranged now. I will also add some storytelling advice to the various steps.

I will also try to make the layout a bit more attractive and maybe add a picture or two, but that's not my strong suit.

What else needs work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He spent a fortnight on the Isle of Wight and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: suffering from a lack of time; I think it's a chronic condition.
mbmbmbmbmb
An example of play and some adventure hooks for folks that would like to run it would be useful.

At the moment the document is short enough to be used as is. If it gets much larger, it mught be useful to have a one-page summary of the order of play that can be used as a quickstart guide in order to faciliate the flow of the game.

The core game is excellent though, so these are just presentational issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points all! And thanks for the praise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cox
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
I bought this Overtext just to say I have an UberBadge and I'm not using it
badge
Dance like no one is trying to sleep in the next room
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to echo the previous statement regarding examples.

I also agree that I'd like to see more mission variety. That's the thing that really held it back for me.

At first, I wasn't a fan of the macroscopic look it took; each turn would normally be a session, each session a campaign. Then I really read it and fell in love with why. This game isn't about the adventures. It's about the consequences of our choices, and expanding the time line really lets you see how decisions now impact you years down the line. I thought that was really fascinating.

Advice for story tellers would be nice. A rules summary would also be good. Again, however, the biggest thing I saw that I wasn't a fan of was the lack of variety in mission structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points!

I will add some variety to the mission structure, but not that much. One point of the game is that you're doing pretty much the same thing over and over and over again - the missions aren't supposed to be exciting adventures; they're supposed to be repetitions of the same siutations with the same choices to make. Making the missions the same highlights the changes in the characters and make the choices more important, I think, because you have a history to fall back on. Will I act the same way in the same situation, or have I changed?

Partly it's also a way to symbolize the futility of the Agency's mission to rid the world of monsters - no matter how many you kill, there are always more. Does that make your choices more or less meaningful?

But yes, the missions will have a slightly more flexible structure when I revise the rules. I've just started work on that bit, after adding some text on the Agency and the characters.

Examples will definitely be in there in the new version, as well as some discussion on how I expect the game to play out. For example, I don't think I explicitly say anywhere that the characters are only supposed to last about a handful of missions. I expect four players will be able to play to the end in an evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another point I meant to ask for input on:

I'm a bit torn about making the Report stage more interactive, with the reports the characters write generating some kind of resource the other players can use in later missions. It would make the consequences of that choice more concrete and create some kind of feedback between the characters, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. The isolation of the characters is part of the setting and I think it's quite important for the mood of the game that you don't have any "comrades in arms" to fall back on or fight for, that it's all about you, the monster and the innocents.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.