Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Ligretto Dice» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Don't be fooled by the German name. I get burned by another dice game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet once again I see a mechanic from a simple game I enjoy. I see someone tack on dice to the thing, and I fall for it horribly.

Let's get started in my, cliff notes path to destruction, that every literary tragic hero seems to go down.

If you did buy this game, you bought it because you:
1) Like Ligretto and already owned Ligretto
2) Are a fan of dice

1) Let's take on that first aspect of you own Ligretto.

- The game plays like Ligretto but it almost sucks the fun out of what make the ligretto card game fun.

- Players are limited to 4 or less. It allows for a better 2 player experience. But there are much better 2 player (Board gaming) experiences out there.

- With a game board putting all the action happening on a little carboard square, all of the chaos that causes all of the hilarity, swearing, and screaming of other players when you take their spot is gone. This game does not have that solitare turned into a mass orgy feel that Ligretto does.

- Also having dice that are 1-6 just do not seem to convey alot of panic in your hand when you know you have a 10 and a 9 to get rid of from your hand. You can't re-roll that 10.

- The box shows Opaque dice within the game, but the dice are translucent. This makes the dice hard to read during play if there is a brighter light shining down on the game. This causes a big glare and makes the dots hard to reas on some of the dice during gameplay. I felt this was a bit of false advertising especially with the picture on the front box.

- The game board will eventually fall to decay. Yeah especially from all the "use" it is going to get. But they could have really printed the gameboard double sided, incase someone did spill something or mase "use" of the game. The logo on the other side of the board just makes it more appearant this game is just "mailing it in".

2) Now that dice aspect

-It has dice. Yes there are those of us that just like the feel of rolling dice. And that is about it.

Why did I buy this game?
Part of it was I saw the game on sale, I like dice, and I had the remnants of a gift card I was trying to pare down. I'm now kicking myself that I could have used those couple extra bucks to apply towards Ascension: Godslayer or maybe actual dice. Doh.

If you have the Ligretto card game. DO NOT buy this game.

If you are looking at this, you should instead give the Ligretto card game a try, but for the sake of what is left of your sanity from your last Arkham Horror outing. Do not buy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooooo . . . . you didn't like it? I'm just trying to make sure I understand.

Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a dice game, simple and luck based. Very good for those who want something very simple or don't have the skill for the card game, which can be overwhelming with all the chaos plus the slightly more complex rules (with your hand and different piles of cards to manage). I would recommend it for open game nights, youth clubs, schools etc. as a gateway and filler game.

I do not mind the translucent dice at all because I think they look much better, but this is really a minor detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.