Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: funny [+] shirt [+] isthatashirt? [+] [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that Risk Halo Edition is on sale at JC Penny for less than $10 (that was awhile back - not now). I called one JC Penny to check if they had any and this is what I got.

Scott: Do you have the boardgame Risk Halo Edition?
Worker: What is that?
Scott: It is a boardgame.
Worker: Boardgame? Is that a shirt?
Scott: No. Do you know what boardgames are?
Worker: No.
Scott: As in toys and games. Do you know what games are?
Worker: Yes.
Scott: It is like Monopoly. Monopoly is a boardgame.
Worker: Oh, Monopoloy. I think we had some of those. Let me go check.
Scott: No, I am not looking for Monopoly. I am looking for a game called Risk: Halo Edition.
Worker: (sounding uncertain) Ok, let me go check.
[leaves and comes back)
Worker: I am sorry, sir, we are out of Monopoly.
. . .
It went on a little more. I felt like I was in a skit.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience, except it had nothing to do with boardgames.

I was in a local grocery store (which sold other things than groceries) looking for stationery supplies. I wasn't sure where to look, so I asked one of the employees, who looked to be a teenager.

I asked him where the stationery supplies were and he looked at me as if I had spoken in a foreign language. I asked again and he said he didn't know what stationery meant. I ended up using words like "pen" and "paper". He knew what those meant.

Outside, I just shook my head as he walked away. Inside, I wept for the species.

Note: This antecdote is not meant to malign teens in general. Just this one in particular.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geekgirl123
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahahahaha that is hilarious.

and Kevin the same thing happened to me when I was getting take out and I asked for cutlery. I had to say knife and fork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Holroyd
England
Morecambe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in a shop. The other day I had a guy come in and ask if I sold black shirts. Told him I do, he then proceeded to tell me he didn't want black ones and walked off. Bizzare.
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Animaniacs wrote:
"Give me one Small popcorn."
"We don't have Small."
"Alright, give me one Medium popcorn."
"We don't have Medium."
"Then what sizes do you have?"
"We've got Large, Chubby, and Super-Chubby."
"Then isn't a Large actually a Small?"
"I'll have to ask my manager."
"Never mind, just give me one Large popcorn."
"You want fries with that?"
"Why would I want fries with popcorn?"
"I'll have to ask my manager."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a reason some folks end up working in retail... Hell, even in the custodial services you have to have the intelectual capacity to choose between a mop and a broom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites line was "Boardgame? Is that a shirt?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Another "fun" thing to do is hand over (for example) $22.00 in cash when the total comes to $16.95, so that you minimize the change you get back.

I actually had one clerk try to give back the $2 BEFORE she made change. I told her to just punch it in and see what happens. She was amazed when all she had to hand back was a Lincoln and a Nickel!

And I've heard rumors now that in places like Wal-Mart, the cash register just show little icons of what change to give back!

Gak! What is the world coming to?
Can anyone say Morlocks and Eloi?

• [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I moved to a smaller town in Utah from Michigan and encountered the following statement:

"Hey - can you borrow me some money?"

I have since learned it is common in the area. It takes every ounce of willpower not to laugh when I hear it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:

And I've heard rumors now that in places like Wal-Mart, the cash register just show little icons of what change to give back!

I worked in an amusement park (Busch Gardens, Williamsburg) one summer, got job in one of the only air conditioned buildings in the whole park because I did so well on the math (ie, making change and counting money at the end of the day) section of the new employee test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm A Radical Feminist Because I Know What Suffrage Means
by Indigo Potter

So, the other day Coworker #1 says, "Did you know Ithaca had a women's roller derby team?" Coworker #2 says "Yes", and I say, "Yes, the SuffraJets... hahahaha..."

C#1 looks at me quizzically. "Why is that funny?" she asks.

"Suffra-JETS...with a J... suffrage, with J..E..T..S...hahahaha" said I.

Confused face. "I still don't get it. What does suffrage mean?"

cry
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idiocracy (the movie) is becoming a reality.
  • [+] Dice rolls
don kaltenbach
United States
Marblehead
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my experience to add to this is:

I was at a garden shop buying some plants to plant in the garden. The clerk asked me if i needed some help, and i told her i was looking for some plants that would plant themselves as watched and had a beer. I asked her if she had any plants that did that. She looked at me and said hold on, i'll go ask my manager. I enjoyed that one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:

It's already here. We're only now noticing how far along we really are in chunks. If we realized it all at once, we'd ball up into a corner forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Zawadzki
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeks - the average store clerk's worst nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:

Another "fun" thing to do is hand over (for example) $22.00 in cash when the total comes to $16.95, so that you minimize the change you get back.

I actually had one clerk try to give back the $2 BEFORE she made change. I told her to just punch it in and see what happens. She was amazed when all she had to hand back was a Lincoln and a Nickel!

Some registers here just tell the cashier how much in bills to give back as change and a machine dispenses the rest in coins... does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klz_fc wrote:
Glad8r wrote:

It's already here. We're only now noticing how far along we really are in chunks. If we realized it all at once, we'd ball up into a corner forever.

Technically, you can't "ball up" into a "corner", balls being round without corners and all ... whistle

I realized a few years ago that I shouldn't worry too much about continued employment in a tech field as I get older - the majority of kids today cannot write properly nor communicate face-to-face productively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
"How many corn do you have there?"

"A dozen."

* blank stare *

"A dozen."

* blank stare *

"Twelve...."

"Thank you."

Yikes.
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
I'm A Radical Feminist Because I Know What Suffrage Means
by Indigo Potter

So, the other day Coworker #1 says, "Did you know Ithaca had a women's roller derby team?" Coworker #2 says "Yes", and I say, "Yes, the SuffraJets... hahahaha..."

C#1 looks at me quizzically. "Why is that funny?" she asks.

"Suffra-JETS...with a J... suffrage, with J..E..T..S...hahahaha" said I.

Confused face. "I still don't get it. What does suffrage mean?"

cry

"Suffrage" refers to the intense pain caused when one looks at one's choices in the voting booth--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:

Please tell me that you either made this up or that there is mandatory sterilization for Wal-Mart employees.

When I worked in retail we counted money back. As-in up from the total to the cash received. Like humans.

It's extra sad when you run into a bank teller who can't handle cash properly.

Me: "Hi, can you break this for me?" /hands over a $10
Teller: "Sure." /places $10 into drawer and counts out my change
Me: "Thanks." /takes new bills and leaves

I hope that someone can spot the huge error in this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bored with video wrote:
my experience to add to this is:

I was at a garden shop buying some plants to plant in the garden. The clerk asked me if i needed some help, and i told her i was looking for some plants that would plant themselves as watched and had a beer. I asked her if she had any plants that did that. She looked at me and said hold on, i'll go ask my manager. I enjoyed that one!

Ranks right up there with "Get me the Cannon Report!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
I heard that Risk Halo Edition is on sale at JC Penny for less than $10 (that was awhile back - not now). I called one JC Penny to check if they had any and this is what I got.[\q]

BTW, was the person u spoke to have an accent? If so , then al bets should be off. It's hard to find anything when the store emp speaks Spanish but u don't.

kyrasantae wrote:
[q="kswingruber"]

Some registers here just tell the cashier how much in bills to give back as change and a machine dispenses the rest in coins... does that count?
Well, it's funny when you then try to give them exact change, forcing them to do math by counting from 100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Two men walking abreast.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
kswingruber wrote:

Please tell me that you either made this up or that there is mandatory sterilization for Wal-Mart employees.

When I worked in retail we counted money back. As-in up from the total to the cash received. Like humans.

It's extra sad when you run into a bank teller who can't handle cash properly.

Me: "Hi, can you break this for me?" /hands over a $10
Teller: "Sure." /places $10 into drawer and counts out my change
Me: "Thanks." /takes new bills and leaves

I hope that someone can spot the huge error in this.

I'll say one doesn't put the bill the customer just gave you into the cash drawer until after you've given the correct change. It prevents misunderstandings, if you will, of the amount of change requested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Gibson
Canada
Mount Pearl
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Canada it is not uncommon for retail stores to accept US currency for purchases.

I once witnessed a transaction that a manager had been called in to supervise, where the cashier, on seeing the US currency, was trying to make change by converting the retail total to US currency. This they reasoned, would allow them to calculate the change required. Of course the change would have to be converted back to Canadian currency as that is what was in the till. The simple expedient of calculating the CDN value of the US 20 dollar bill seems to have escaped them

The customer was trying to help but the logic seemed to be lost on the retail staff. I left after a good 5 minutes and they were still trying to figure out how to convert the bill to US currency.

The most egregious example was at a movie theatre where everything was priced in multiples of $0.25. We ordered three items that came to a total of $6.00. The clerk somehow managed to come up with $6.25. When corrected by me, she recalculated the bill at $5.75. I paid and left...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G.
United States
Newbury
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, now you've got me started...

Several years ago, I moved from my native Canada to New Jersey. One day I went to the DMV to get a driver's licence. The rule was you had to relinquish your out-of-state licence, UNLESS it was from a different country; then you could keep it.

I passed the test and filled out the paperwork and the clerk handed me my new licence. There followed this exchange:

Me: Can I have my old licence back, please.
Clerk: Oh, you don't get that back.
Me: I think I do because it's from a different country.
Clerk: What?
Me: It's a Canadian driver's licence. I get to keep it.
Clerk: Canada's not a different country.
Me: Um...yes, it is.
Clerk: No, it's not.
Me: Yes. It is.
Clerk: No, it's not.
Me: Canada is a different country!
Clerk: Well, maybe, but it's not really a different country. It's not like India.
Me: Yes! Yes! It's exactly like India! It's a different country!

She eventually, reluctantly gave me my old licence back, but I could tell she didn't believe me. It was a great introduction to the USA.
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [37] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.