Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We play a variant with playing cards.

The cards run from Ace to King and are worth 1 - 13 points accordingly.

Some cards have special uses:

Ace: Needed to move a pawn onto the board or to move 1.

Four: ALWAYS moves you backwards four. Can be used to move back passed your home as a short cut to getting home. (Saves you going right round the board) Great for landing on someone sneaking up on you.

Seven: The seven moves can be split between two or more of your pawns. Great for landing on people.

Jack: Allows you to swap your piece with any other piece on the board or to move 11. Must be played as a swap if you can't move 11.

King: Needed to move a pawn on to the board. Must be used for this purpose unless there are no pawns to start. Then worth 13.

Play: Everyone is delt 5 cards. On your turn you can chosse which card to play. If you cannot make a legal move then all of your cards are discarded for that round. Subsequent rounds are dealt 4 cards until the pack is finished. Dealing then moves to the next player.

Teams: We play teams. First you have to get your pawns home. Then on your turn you use your cards to help your team member get theirs home.

We love it. It allows for strategy as you can choose the order of your cards you play for that round. It can get very cut throat. We have a homemade board with 80 spaces around it.

Regards,

Shane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
Traditional games that have survived the test of time and ancient games that have not are a part of our heritage.
badge
m'n - the Egyptian hieroglyph for board game, also signifying "stability" and used phonetically as in the last syllable of "Tutankhamun"
mbmbmbmbmb
The variant sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

When you mentioned a variant with cards and what some of the cards do, I thought someone had reinvented Sorry but that is not the case. Being able to choose what order to play the cards in your hand makes the game radically different.

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oops. I have never played Sorry. I just read about it then and it sounds similar. A friend showed me this game. She said it was called Tuck and that it was a Canadian game???

Anyway, its great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
Traditional games that have survived the test of time and ancient games that have not are a part of our heritage.
badge
m'n - the Egyptian hieroglyph for board game, also signifying "stability" and used phonetically as in the last syllable of "Tutankhamun"
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, there is a Pachisi variant called Tok or Tock. The rules are described in a file in the Pachisi entry on BGG.

Also, a Canadian company, Bojeux, Inc., sells a version of the game that they call Super Tock 4.

Cheers.

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well now I do feel silly. I searched everywhere for this game but obviously I had the name wrong. Glad to have finally found it. Thank you for that. Now we just need an online version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilio De Sousa
Spain
Algeciras AKA: 'Arjesiráh'
Cadí
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KARCHIS!

The Real Pachisi with cards!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/85219/karchi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool. Where can I get one? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Mª Núñez Ramos
Spain
Algeciras
Cadiz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were only 25 units to sell and we sold them. Maybe it's time for a new printing... but the game it's in spanish and had many text.

pdt: I'm one of the creators cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Willgamer wrote:
The variant sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

When you mentioned a variant with cards and what some of the cards do, I thought someone had reinvented Sorry but that is not the case. Being able to choose what order to play the cards in your hand makes the game radically different.

Jon
That is Sorry!. The adult or advanced rules that have been around since at least 1939 allow you to take five cards in your hand, and you choose what card to play each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
droberts441 wrote:
That is Sorry!. The adult or advanced rules that have been around since at least 1939 allow you to take five cards in your hand, and you choose what card to play each turn.

Hmm. I didn't know that there were advanced rules for Sorry!. Just goes to show that, as pointed out in this article, 1000s Ways to Play Monopoly from the Board Game Studies Journal (http://www.boardgamestudies.info/pdf/issue3/BGS3Albertarelli...), most players (including me) don't read the printed rules of games -- they play the games as they were taught them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.