Stephen Furlani
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hello,

I'm developing a board game, the rules of which can be found here:

http://www.strongfortress.com/board-games/farlanthia-lords-o...

It's 100% free to download and use (CCL-BY-NC-ND), but it is definitely a WIP.

I need to populate it with content, but I don't know if the game is "winnable."

Is anyone willing to look over the rules and help me out? I'm trying to decide if victory should happen after X turns, and the winner has the most "valor" points. Or if it should be a total military victory.

If interested, the game can be played with most parts that an avid board gamer already has (dry-erase hex map, dice, risk pieces).

Thank you for your time!

-Stephen Furlani
Check out my other stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Board Game
I think you'll get more people looking at the thread if you change the title to give more information eg mentioning the theme or type of game.

Anyway, it starts with "players should shuffle the tiles..", but doesn't (at that point) have any description of how many tiles there are, what different types there are etc. The same for the "troops, tokens and Hero Board".

So I'd recommend at least having a list of equipment before what's now the first section. And if you can, it'd be good to have actual tiles, a board etc to print and cut out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Scout Phase:
"Order of Leadership" - this seems to mean the totals rolled in the previous phase, but doesn't say so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Manning
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to really answer this you'll probably need to playtest the game more. We can all spit-ball ideas, but without actually playing through the game and seeing how all the mechanics work, it's tough to nail down a specific answer.

So, first things first, you should playtest it a bunch, including solo-testing it on your own. That way you can get a better feel for how long the game takes under different conditions and so forth. It might be that requiring a total military victory takes too long (given the apparent size of the board, it does look like a pretty long game), in which case you'll need to know how quickly players tend to accumulate honor/valor/renown points, or how long it takes to play through a certain number of rounds, etc., to be able to set alternate conditions.

This decision also needs to be influenced by your goal for the game--do you want it to be primarily martial, or primarily diplomatic, or some balance of the two? If you want the game to focus on military strategy, it doesn't necessarily make sense to allow a diplomatic victory. In that case, you might want the honor/valor/renown points to serve as a balancing mechanic, giving players more things to balance and manipulate while still working towards a martial goal. Meanwhile, if you allow both victory conditions, you'll open up more strategic options for players, but maybe at the cost of diluting the game's focus. Personally, I prefer games with a variety of victory conditions, but to each his own.

Basically, I guess my advice is to just playtest it more. First, solo-test it on your own to help nail down your goals for the game, and what victory conditions best contribute to those goals. Then playtest it with others to work out the kinks and make sure that the victory conditions are feasible. I saw from your site that you're looking for playtesters already, and I'm sure you can find some on BGG, too. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Furlani
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate these small tidbits. I'll definitely polish up the document more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Furlani
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hello! Here is a new version.

I've taken your suggestions and added the Equipment and clarified what I meant by O rder of Leadership.

http://www.strongfortress.com/board-games/farlanthia-lords-o...

Thanks again!
-Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chirgwin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I seriously dislike the random effects for diplomacy idea. I'd suggest that you create a "Ranking" of Treaties and increase the penalties for breaking higher ranked treaties. Don't mind the Risk-Type battles, just don't include it for diplomacy.

I didn't see any rules for conducting battles. I'm assuming it is just like Risk (roll up to 3 dice, defender rolls X dice, higher rolls kill lower rolls).

Examples.... (just suggestions not more)

Open Borders Treaty
You may pass through each other's territory. You may not attack or raze structures controlled by each other. Ending this treaty costs 2VP

Trade Agreement
You agree to sell your opponent a number of resources in return for the same number of other resources and/or gold. Ending this treaty costs 1VP per resource you sell.

Peace Treaty
You may have your armies occupy the same space as opponent's armies. You may not attack or raze each other's structures. Ending this treaty costs 5VPs.

Regarding the cards...
Why not just have Bandits and then change the resources they steal on different cards, instead of printing a wider number of them. Saves on extra artwork and only means you have to change a couple of icons/words.

Starting/Setup...
It might be worth including a special set of "start tiles", like the Carcassone Starting Tiles. Most capital cities are built next to a river/road/harbour. There are very few capitals built in mountains or wastelands; unless you are making this game fantasy-themed and then I'd allocate them based on race (e.g. Orc/Nomads get Wastelands, Giants get mountains, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Furlani
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks for the comments!

---

Diplomacy:

I haven't quite figured out how to work diplomacy. I tried using the RISK style of resolution because player A forces player B to take an action (or refrain from an action) and thus it gives player B an opportunity to resist any diplomatic situation. If both parties agree to the treaty, then no dice-rolling is necessary.

Example: in a trade agreement, player A proposes that they trade 2 lumber for 1 stone. Player B needs that stone and says "no" - but because politics are complicated player B may have to end up accepting the trade regardless. Kindof like how Iran has to suffer sanctions even though they think they're doing nothing wrong.

Player B always rolls 2 dice as defender. Player A gets 1-3 dice depending on whether or not they've tried this diplomacy before, and other circumstances. Adventure Cards can come into play here, as well as substituting a Leadership Die for a die rolled.

I feel that diplomacy is a kind of weapon (as well as military weapons and economic weapons) so it should be resolved in a random manner.

But if both parties agree, then there's no random-ness.

---

Startup:

I'm planning on having a Volcano, or Palace as the center tile... depending on the game being played. I'd like to eventually include different scenarios for people to play (king of the hill, total military victory, birthright, etc) so a changeup on the center tile or some other tiles is definitely planned.

As far as the Capitol, I'm thinking of making it a default 'Farm' as there are 6 additional farm tiles. (i.e. grab 6 farm tiles first, shuffle the rest)

---

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate getting a different viewpoint on the game.

-Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juggernaut1981 wrote:
I seriously dislike the random effects for diplomacy idea. I'd suggest that you create a "Ranking" of Treaties and increase the penalties for breaking higher ranked treaties. Don't mind the Risk-Type battles, just don't include it for diplomacy.

If the setting is meant to be a fantasy world, it might be that breaking treaties brings down a curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chirgwin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
sfurlani wrote:
Thanks for the comments!

---

Diplomacy:

I haven't quite figured out how to work diplomacy. I tried using the RISK style of resolution because player A forces player B to take an action (or refrain from an action) and thus it gives player B an opportunity to resist any diplomatic situation. If both parties agree to the treaty, then no dice-rolling is necessary.

Example: in a trade agreement, player A proposes that they trade 2 lumber for 1 stone. Player B needs that stone and says "no" - but because politics are complicated player B may have to end up accepting the trade regardless. Kindof like how Iran has to suffer sanctions even though they think they're doing nothing wrong.

I feel that diplomacy is a kind of weapon (as well as military weapons and economic weapons) so it should be resolved in a random manner.

But if both parties agree, then there's no random-ness.

Diplomacy is a weapon, but it's not as 'random' as warfare. Usually it is very direct, clear and more predictable (since it is done by agreement)

Quote:
Kindof like how Iran has to suffer sanctions even though they think they're doing nothing wrong.

Sanctions against Iran are basically and agreement between everyone else not to trade with Iran, instead of, say, an agreement between the US & Iran for Iran to not buy US things. So you could establish "Do Not Trade With X" treaties as well as "Trade Resource X with me" treaties.

As far as one-sided agreements go, those are usually glorified blackmail or extortion. "Give me X for Y or I will (insert bad thing here)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Furlani
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I see your point.

However, if all diplomacy is voluntary then why bother including it in the rules if the outcome could always be 'no'?

I'd just rather not have a game of 'diplomacy' break out during play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Furlani
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
lol, I've gotten a ton of comments back at StackExchange for this. It looks like everyone wants a free-form emergent Diplomacy kindof thing.

Thanks for the advice, Andrew.

-S!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chirgwin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Not a problem at all. Glad to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.