VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Quality Print on Demand Games & Prototypes
badge
mbmbmb

Intro
Race for the Summit is a game about climbing to the top of a spire. Each player plays a mountain climber with different strengths for climbing different types of rock.

Components
This game comes in a double deck box like Coloretto. You get 6 decks of mountain cards, Each mountain climber has a special ability that they can use once per game. They also have a transparent card with their portrait and a transparent "quick draw" card. Then there is the deck of action cards, and weather cards.

Setup
First you put a column of mountain cards down, one for each player (+1 if less than 6 players). A "start" card is at the bottom while the summit cards are at the top. You also draw a weather card which gives special directions for the climb and shows where the fatigue line is.

Game Turn Sequence
Each player takes their turn, and then everyone gets to take an action card.

On your turn
The weather card states where the "fatigue" card is placed. If you are above this line, then you only get two stamina per turn. If you are below, you get 3 stamina.
If you move to an unknown rock card, then first you flip it to see what it is. Then you pay the stamina cost for it. Each climber pays a different amount for each rock type. Then on certain rocks you can clip in your quick draw for a stamina point. This helps you if you fall.

The different rocks can cost from 1 stamina to 3 stamina. "Bomber" holds allow you to clip in for free, but the others (Positive, Sketchy, Heinous) cost 1 stamina point.

Falling
If you try to move to a rock, but you can't, due to the stamina cost, you fall. You fall below your quick draw card a number of spaces directly related to the number of spaces you are above your quick draw card.

The interesting parts
After everyone climbs, then you pick action cards. There are a number of action cards that are flipped each round. The starting player action card is also among each round's action cards. Starting with the last player to climb, everyone gets to pick an action card. There are action cards which are single use, use immediately and negative effects. You can also pick the start player card which allows you to (surprise!) start the next round. There are only enough action cards for the number of players, so the players who started get negative effects for the next round.

It's a rock spire, so the columns of cards wrap around the side which I thought was a pretty neat touch to allow more maneuverability for the climbers on the sides.

Randomness
Each column of cards has one of each rock type. So as you get down to the end, you can better plan which types of cards are left. But in the beginning, it'll be random which cards appear.

Interaction
You are climbing up the same rock spire. You can block each other, place obstacles in other people's way, get in front of them, etc.

My Rating
Race for the Summit is a fast playing, push your luck game with a rock climbing theme. I give it a "7.5".

(I received this game for review about a year ago, and apparently I lost it or misplaced it or something!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Looks kinda fun, what is the quality of card? Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Quality Print on Demand Games & Prototypes
badge
mbmbmb
FeelGoodND wrote:
Looks kinda fun, what is the quality of card? Thanks for the review.

The cards aren't the best quality, and then have a tiny nub on the sides (like some counters do after they are punched).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game 5 times. The theme is fun. My daughters like it. The card quality is mediocre, but I like the see-through plastic cards that represent the climbers. Pawns/meeples could have been used too. As a fast light game, it works pretty well.

The rules are easy to understand. We only made a few errors on our first play.

I would say there is a medium amount of replayability. Holds are ordered randomly and the mild attacks are fun. I will play this again, especially if my girls ask for it. But it's not a game people will clamber to play. I give it a 6.5. It's fun but not enduring and the component quality is adequate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.