Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan F. Santana Miralles
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi!

I have one question regarding cav. vs cav fire.

According to the rules, if you engage your cav. in a column, the opponent will fire first, with the shock bonus (CV 3), and we found it quite illogical.. I mean, the main advantage of cav. is their charge, but with the rules, it´s far better to wait for the enemy to engage you than actually attacking them!

Did we play it right??

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe the defending cavalary gets a shock bonus, so it will fire normal fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan F. Santana Miralles
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don´t have the rules at hand now, but I´m quite sure that in 3rd edition (by Columbia Games) cavalry units allwais fight with 3 cv during the first round of combat, either atacking or defending...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff miller
United States
West Jefferson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavalry does not get the fire bonus against other cavalry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Menichelli
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Page 4 of the rules (version 3.4) states:

CAVALRY: units must be Engaged to fire and generally have F2. Cavalry units get F3 on the first firing turn after they engage or they are engaged, to reflect shock.

To me, that means you get F3 after engaging and also if you are engaged. My guess is that this rule reflects the fact that defending cavalry would counter-charge if another unit was charging them; they would not wait patiently to be hit.

The only time cavalry does not get this bonus is when engaging infantry in square: "Engaging cavalry are reduced to F1, and get no shock bonus."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri de Marcellus
United States
Marin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see that this has been clarified in the 4th edition rules:

6.33 Battle Fires

o Cavalry must be Engaged to fire. To reflect shock, they get +1 fire (F2=F3) on their first fire after they move to engage. Squares and terrain reduce cavalry firepower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.