Letter Roll» Forums » General

Subject: Do long words "break" the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
The Back Alley gets no respect.
I got my copy yesterday and read the rules. It appears to be The License Plate Game, which we play in traffic, only with seven nifty dice.

But a couple of times in the rules, they indicate that a way to make the game harder is to require a certain minimum number of letters in a word (e.g. six). That seems counter-intuitive.

Seems to me that, since there is no penalty for misspelling and no penalty for lengthy words, a person could just rattle off long words over and over. I mean interdisciplinary and displacement and diplodocus and lapidary and parlayed and independently and uninterruptedly and disreputable all get you the LPD combo and it's easier to come up with those words (yeah, I know that diplodocus is proper and not allowed) than to come up with PLAID or PALLID or PLED or DUPLE or PADLE or LOPED or PEDAL or LIPID.

In other words, the rule for playing with kids (allowing them shorter words) is what makes the game harder. It seems that allowing longer words is what makes it easier.

My suggestion: in addition to one point per word, grant a bonus point for words which are no longer than [number of dice]+2 (or +3).
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.