South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik, Donald, and Scott discuss Epic games

Jonathon reviews Carcassonne for the iPhone

Donald & Cortney review POO!
Donald reviews Legitimacy, Sturgeon, Nile, and Those Pesky Humans!

Erik reviews Crokinole

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/obg-050-it-s-epic
http://onboardgames.net/
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Erik for editing this episode! He's going to be taking over those duties for the foreseeable future so let him know you appreciate all his hard work.

What makes a game Epic to you? Is it the length of time, the experience, or the types of decisions made? We had a pretty short list of them that we discussed in the episode, what are your favorite EPIC games?

How often do you get epic games to the table? Would you rather just play a few of your shorter favorites than tackle one of the giants? Or do you live in the epic game space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in favor of games that takes less then 2 hours to play. Many of the longer games tend to have a lot of dead time and just drag at the end, especially those that takes more then 3 hours. If you are playing a game that takes 3 hours and after 2 you feel like there's no point playing any more then that last hour is going to be annoying.

Donald, there's a very noticeable echo on your voice, not sure if that's been on previous episodes. You should try to minimize this. I'm also not sure on this but it seems like there where more long pauses this time compared to when you edit. Or was it just me? Neither is a big thing but makes the roundtable come out as less polished. Just wanted to let you know and decide if these are things you want to improve on or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
I'm in favor of games that takes less then 2 hours to play. Many of the longer games tend to have a lot of dead time and just drag at the end, especially those that takes more then 3 hours. If you are playing a game that takes 3 hours and after 2 you feel like there's no point playing any more then that last hour is going to be annoying.

I also don't like games when you spend most of your time waiting on other people to complete their turns. Some games have simultaneous turns (Diplomacy) so that while the game is long, everyone is as involved as they want to be for the bulk of their time in the game.

Awakening wrote:
Donald, there's a very noticeable echo on your voice, not sure if that's been on previous episodes. You should try to minimize this.
I think I was using a different headset, perhaps it bled over. I'll work on that.

Awakening wrote:
I'm also not sure on this but it seems like there where more long pauses this time compared to when you edit. Or was it just me? Neither is a big thing but makes the roundtable come out as less polished. Just wanted to let you know and decide if these are things you want to improve on or not.
Yeah, I edit the crap out of the sound files when I'm behind the keyboard. This means taking adjusting most of the talkover errors, removing my wheezing, and deleting my UMs. The longer pauses could also have impacted the echo issue above, because the fewer long-pauses you have the nicer Levelator plays with sound files.

Erik did a good job, and he'll continue to improve as he gets practice, but I need to work on my 'mic presence' more than he needs to improve his editing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm personally in favor of getting the episodes out rather then getting stuck editing too much. I know editing takes a long time and it's not something I would like to do myself so I applaud you and Erik both for doing it. I think it's up to him whether or not he wants to spend more time editing. If you can get rid of your echo it would improve the quality overall without additional editing work. I don't know, would it be easier to spot long pauses without the echo, making editing easier?

BTW, another great episode, thanks I'm going to listen to the reviews now.

Oh, and Through the Ages can take up to 6 hours playing the full game on 4. It takes about 30 minutes per player and age, 3 ages on 4 makes it 6 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some games can be epic in scope without necessarily being long games, however, I think the more epic a game attempts to be the longer it needs to be to fit in the full experience.

To me an epic game is one about starting off lowly and striving to achieve greatness, most often these are civilisation building games.

Another sort is a monster game, whether a monster wargame or a giant table-top minis game.

It's a horses for courses type of thing I think. I love American Megafauna and Origins: How we became Human, not the best 'games' per se, but wonderful experiences. I also rather enjoy Twilight Imperium.

I haven't listened to the episode yet - I'm behind sorry! Will chime in again when I have!

Great job Eric!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the feel in Le Havre. It takes 2 hours on 2 and 3 hours on 3 (not tried on 4-5). You get a very nice feel of progression from nothing to a whole lot, from barely making it and all the way to greatness. But what I like about Le Havre and other euros is that the mechanics are so simple and I don't have to look things up in the rules all the time. There's also very little dead time which is a problem in games like Through the Ages and Twilight Imperium. TTA is a good 2 player game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
BTW, another great episode, thanks I'm going to listen to the reviews now.

What did you, or anyone, think about the reviews? Has anyone out there played Poo or any of the Minion games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played any of the games you reviewed Donald. I have seen video reviews of Sturgeon and Nile and didn't like either of those, Nile looked like the better of them but didn't appeal to me.

Oh, and I like the outtakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.