Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the book, there are two options to play with if you roll two 'X's on the dice.

1) Move two steps backwards
2) Place them anywhere on the ladder, thereby knocking everyone off regardless of where they are placed.

I feel that (1) is just not that much fun and should never be used. Rolling two X's should be something EXCITING (and good) in my book, considering you're trying to eXcape after all!

(2), to me, sort of "breaks the game" in my opinion. I know it's supposed to be a fun, silly type of game but removing everyone's dice just makes the game go longer than what it should, and elicits a lot of groans out of a fun experience.

I am proposing this:

*** After two X's are rolled, you are able to put them anywhere on the ladder (like #2 above), but instead of knocking everyone completely off the ladder, you just move (or force) everyone down one space.

In this way, there is still a penalty for being on the end of a XX, but it's not a total wipe and there's still some movement chance for others.

What do you all think? We used this in our recent game and I thought it played very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shoda
Japan
Zushi
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mb
SlikkRikk wrote:
In the book, there are two options to play with if you roll two 'X's on the dice.

1) Move two steps backwards
2) Place them anywhere on the ladder, thereby knocking everyone off regardless of where they are placed.

I feel that (1) is just not that much fun and should never be used. Rolling two X's should be something EXCITING (and good) in my book, considering you're trying to eXcape after all!

(2), to me, sort of "breaks the game" in my opinion. I know it's supposed to be a fun, silly type of game but removing everyone's dice just makes the game go longer than what it should, and elicits a lot of groans out of a fun experience.

I am proposing this:

*** After two X's are rolled, you are able to put them anywhere on the ladder (like #2 above), but instead of knocking everyone completely off the ladder, you just move (or force) everyone down one space.

In this way, there is still a penalty for being on the end of a XX, but it's not a total wipe and there's still some movement chance for others.

What do you all think? We used this in our recent game and I thought it played very well.

I think you misunderstood the rule.

The effect of rolling two Xs depends on whether it is the first throw of the turn or not.

In the first turn, it is either
(1) treated as 0-0 (basic rule), or
(2) place them anywhere on the ladder, thereby knocking everyone off regardless of where they are placed. (variant in the rule)

In the second turn or after, always move two steps backwards (both basic and variant)

Thus, according to the correct rule set, it doesn't happen that often to roll double Xs in the first try and it gives a game just a little flavor.

By the way, I still don't know if you can place double Xs anywhere, even where a player already is in that space, or it is limited to empty spaces as usual - cannot tell it from the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.