Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Whitehill
Germany
Eickeloh. north of Hanover
American in Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like KUNST STÜCKE, a game of placing and sliding odd-shaped polygons on a limited-size playing board while attempting to score the most points based on bids you make; the bids are for the number of pieces of the same color you think will be joined together at the game’s end. However, I think there is a way to make KUNSTSTÜCKE even better.

I offer the following two rule changes:

1. Anytime a piece is moved, it must *always* be in a legal position; you can not have an interim illegal move which is then rectified by the end of the move;

2. Instead of being able to bid on a color reaching six-or-more pieces, you bid on six pieces only--the addition of a seventh piece acts as a spoiler, for which no player can receive any points.

One option I would suggest is to allow any move order--that is, you may either place a piece and then move a piece, or move a piece before placing one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
Re:Rule changes
I'm curious as to why you think these changes improve the game.

It seems to me that the first change adds a substantial amount of complexity to an already-complex process: that of looking at the board and figuring out where pieces can slide to. And it would prevent what I suspect is a critical gambit: changing two groups of (say) 2 and 5 pieces to two groups of 3 and 4 pieces. You can't make that move without the sliding piece entering a (temporarily) illegal position.

And as for the second, is the game really improved by adding spoilers? Under the current rules, any group of pieces on the board is going to score for some tile, somewhere. Allowing a group to not score at all makes it possible for a move to be safe.

Similarly, while allowing players to place then move or move then place gives you more options when it's your turn, but it eliminates a key end-game tactic: playing a piece that reduces your left-hand opponent to a single legal placement. Again: does this really improve the game?

I have only played the game a couple of times, so I can't really make a very strong argument, but I have my doubts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Rule changes
thebiggamehunter wrote:
One option I would suggest is to allow any move order--that is, you may either place a piece and then move a piece, or move a piece before placing one.

According to the English rules posted on this page, this is already allowed:

Players may slide shapes at any point in their turn, before placement, afterwards, or before and after, if they so wish.

Do you have a different translation that omits this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see your reasoning behind #2, since no other bid tiles can score for multiple final results. On the other hand, if people guard against letting any group get very big, it makes getting those 6 points (and even 5) much more difficult, which should be the case as those are such high-scoring tiles.

I don't agree at all with revision number 1. That would make repositioning almost impossible after the very early portion of the game. Once the board gets clogged up and has a few "straits" to pass through, you wouldn't be able to move anything around at all.

The only optional rule we play with is:

The start player gets all 10 movement chips. The second player has 9, the next player 8, and so on. This mitigates the power that the final player has to rearrange the board as they see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.