Dust Tactics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enter vs. Deploy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Conrad Brunner

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you advance through the scenario book, you run into setup that calls for units to be deployed in a zone on the map, rather than entering through a zone. Does this mean all units for that side are placed on the map before the initiative roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Zamfirescu
msg tools
Hi Conrad,

the answer is no: your units always enter as usual. They are never placed on the map before the initiative roll. There might be some case where some units may only enter through specific squares (you'll see that in a future expansion).

Cheers,

Olivier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kraft
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesnt the defenders start on the map on the Patrol mission ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CapeCod Gamer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about this myself. Is there a difference when a mission says "enter units' and "deploy units"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Davidson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
I am yet another person confused by this. It seems like there are four possibilities:

Possibility #1. Units start off the board and must enter the gameboard as their first action in their first activation. This is clearly stated on page 16 of the rules. Although it does not explicitly state it anywhere I can see, it implies that the Units must enter onto an edge space of the board. Later, on page 16, it says that this is part of the basic game, but you should also play scenarios. To me, this means that perhaps this rule does not apply in the scenarios. This is reinforced by scenario #6 Descent in which it would be impossible to comply with this rule (as the Attackers deployment zone is in the center of the board).

Possibility #2. Units start off the board and must enter the gameboard as their first action in their first activation, but the square entered does not need to be on the edge of the gameboard. Instead it could be any of the squares designated in the scenario. I hope this is not the ruling because this would mean in a scenario like #2 Patrol, defenders could "appear" in the center of the board in their first turn.

Possibility #3. Scenarios that have the word "Deploy" instead of "Enter" in the Deployment section actually mean the Units are placing into squares at the beginning of the game. Whether this is before or after the initiative roll is unknown.

Other question in Scenario #6 Descent is that even for the Defenders, in Deployment, it says "Deploy" rather than "Enter", and yet all the Defender's deployment squares are on the edge of the gameboard.

Possibility #4. Something else (i.e. rules were left out of the rulebook or scenario book). For example, perhaps deployed Units start on the map but only get a single action in their first activation.

To me, of these four possibilities, #3 is the most likely. The scenario clearly states "Deploy" in some cases and "Enter" in others. #1 is inconsistent with Scenario #6. #2 would involve suddenly appearing Units, and #4 would mean a big chuck of errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Zamfirescu
msg tools
Enter and deploy are exactly the same thing. In every scenario in the Battle Book you "enter" through a square marked with an A (if you Attack) or with a D (if you Defend). If using these two different words is confusing we'll just use Enter from now on. I'll be more careful with that.

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,

Olivier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.