Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, this is a n attractive game, which appeals to young kids.

My four (almost five) year old boy is learning to understand the concepts (despite a fascination with putting the mice in the dungeon) and talks about it a lot.

The design of the game is also clever; and the board pieces of good quality.

But I have two major gripes.

First is the black plastic that makes for the castle's interior, which forms the structure and the dungeons. It is cheap, flimsy, and a little warped. This means that the sliding mechanic does not work as well as you would like... this paltry piece of plastic puts some of the tiles by the edge at a higher level than the tiles in the middle, meaning that instead of sliding the pieces can sometimes pass over one another - especially if you push a little hard, because they aren't all aligned.

This may not sound bad, but I assure you it is a fundamental downer, very much undermining the game experience.

Secondly, to put the game away, we are told to store all the fiddly bits in the dungeons, and then reassemble the gameboard as if for play. This is irritating. Getting those fiddly bits back out of the dungeons takes a while, fishing around with fingernails, and setting up the board again (which takes a while)in order to put it away, only to have to disassemble it again to get the necessary pieces out... bleh. Annoying. They should have included a tray.

Finally, laying out the tiles has a massive impact on the game. If you happen to be in a cheese filled zone, you will win, simple as that.

The game tells you to set the tiles up 'however you want', but I think it needs a mechanic. Perhaps each of the players takes it in turns to put a tile down. And then the game starts with players taking turns in reverse order.

Anyway, some small gripes do a lot to undermine the pleasure of playing what is, otherwise, an excellent game. What a shame a few cheapskate moves by the publishers have such an impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, I've had tons of plays with Chateau Roquefort so I can emphatize with the problems you face. My girl is 3+ and she is also playinng it as a "catch the mice" game at the moment.

Here's how I minimized problems with the sliding mechanic:
- when it's my daughter's turn, I press down on the board slightly to prevent the tiles from sliding over another.
- after each slide I make sure that the tile being push to the edge of the board does not stick out, which indicates that the entire row of tiles is mis-aligned, making it difficult to slide in the tangential direction.

I do not see how a proper storage could be provided for the bits that would not increase the box size significantly. I use a tray to store just the cheese bits and already the box cover sticks out by about half an inch.

To help fish out the mice, I use a plastic dessert spoon which is small enough to keep in the tray.

As for laying the tiles, just make sure each player has an equal number of cheese types and enforce that cheese tiles must alternate with non-cheese tiles until no longer possible.

Can't wait to play with my daughter using the proper rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the expansion Cheesy Gonzola allows for a 5th player AND has an insert that can store ALL the bits from the original game (incl a space for each mouse).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Ready for some football
mbmbmb
I haven't had much problem with sliding the tiles. I do find that a nice, steady pace works best.

As to storage, I just dump everything in various holes. When we are ready to play again, I just turn the box upside down and everything falls out. One time, a mouse got stuck but a gentle nudge with a pencil freed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
Also, the expansion Cheesy Gonzola allows for a 5th player AND has an insert that can store ALL the bits from the original game (incl a space for each mouse).

ahh! i have the expansion still in shrink, as i have not played the basegame enough by my standards. but this makes the whole thing A LOT easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:

This is good info, although it seems to be hard to get hold of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a nice upgrade for the game and it is hard to come by. It is not rare. It just seems to have intermittent distribution. Boards and Bits has copies now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.