Popular Tags: [View All]
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be going to Manila, in the Philippines, in early December and might have some time to visit something of interest from WW2. Looking online there seems very little, The American cemetery at Bonifacio and I think there is a Japanese gun in the fort itself but apart from that there seems very little which is strange as Manila was the 2nd most devastated city during the war and saw lots of fighting and Bataan saw more Americans captured than anywhere else.

I wish to keep my sightseeing in Manila, North as far as Quezon City (maybe Angeles if it is good) and South as far as Muntinlupa. Can anyone recommend sites that may be of interest for me.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend a trip to Corregidor Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did originally look at Corregidor but dismissed it because it takes a boat ride to get there over the sea and I get seasick very easily Looking again at Corregidor it seems there is a wealth of WW2 history and the chance of staying overnight on the island, so it might be something I do regardless of an uncomfortable hour or two.

Thanks Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corregidor has by far the most to see for someone into WW2 history. Don't expect to see much WW2 history preserved anywhere else.

There's an American historian who retired on Corregidor, the only foreigner allowed to reside there, you can check out his blog here: http://steveandmarciaontherock.blogspot.com/
I believe he's affiliated with Valor Tours who offer various tours of the Philippine WW2 sites.

One of my friends added the following possibilities, but all are very distant seconds:
Mount Samat has a small museum inside the big cross.
The Bataan Death March is marked if you want to walk parts of it.
There might be something at the Leyte landing site.

There's also a two hour walking tour of Intramuros Manila done by Caldros Celdran (a tv host who's also an amateur historian). He goes through the history of Intramuros from Spanish colonial times through the end of WW2.

BTW, if you want to get together for a beer with a few local board wargamers send me a message when you're in town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Corregidor will be one of those things I decide when I get there but I certainly hope I can make it.

I am going to see Intramuros, that one is on my agenda.

If I find myself with a spot of spare time then sure I will give you a GM, that would be cool.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.